Shifter not clicking all way on Shimano xt 9 speed.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shifter not clicking all way on Shimano xt 9 speed.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 10:07 Quote
I recently moved my xt shifters from old bike to new, now shifter for rear is only clicking 4 or 5 times, with a lot of shifter trigger movement after that. Why is this and how do I sort it out ? please.
Also not easy to open up shifter.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 10:14 Quote
Shifters should be very easy to take off the cover on. But try this- flush out your shifter with a degreaser. Then when it's dried spray a little bit of lube/oil in there. Should fix it up. Otherwise the plastic teeth that index may be damaged and it just needs replacing

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 10:19 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
Shifters should be very easy to take off the cover on. But try this- flush out your shifter with a degreaser. Then when it's dried spray a little bit of lube/oil in there. Should fix it up. Otherwise the plastic teeth that index may be damaged and it just needs replacing

thanks for that, think it might be more than that, xt's are made so you thread cable through grub screw, They worked fine untiI tried to install on new bike.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 Quote
I know. You have to pop out the grub screw, pull out the cable, then do those steps I just mentioned. If it worked fine before, it has got to be with your new setup. .. either you installed and tensioned cable while shifter was in the middle of its range. Improper cable tension is all I can logically see the problem being if it worked prior.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 10:47 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
I know. You have to pop out the grub screw, pull out the cable, then do those steps I just mentioned. If it worked fine before, it has got to be with your new setup. .. either you installed and tensioned cable while shifter was in the middle of its range. Improper cable tension is all I can logically see the problem being if it worked prior.

Tomorrow I will pull cable back out and try index shifter then see if that's the problem.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 15:37 Quote
Yeah, when it's out by that much, I would remove the cable from the rear derailleur, then holding the end of the cable to keep tension it, run the shifter all the way up and down. If it shifts all the gears that way, then check the upper and lower stops on the mech to see if it hits all the cogs, then reconnect the cable and try shifting up and down.

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 10:08 Quote
loosened cable off at dérailleur, opened up shifter, looks like the spring has broke. see video link below
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=27419DA596429F0!400&authkey=!ACWRHdNMsmUQNSk&ithint=video%2c.mp4

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
see photo arm/hook is loose.
this hook in photo is not pushing all away around on shifter spring is not doing anything.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011387
Mobile Version of Website