Rear Derailleurs

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rear Derailleurs
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 11:11 Quote
So my current zee derailleur has been bent somehow and won't run the chain properly, it jhas also ran the chain against the arm thus wearing it down and recently snapped my chain which made me realise how bad it was thus its time for a new one!
So my question is I am currently running a 32-11 cassette and 32 on the front but may consider using one ups 42 tooth cog in the future (so zee is not compatible). BUT I am still running the zee shifter so need a shimano rear mech. Basically XT, SLX or zee again? Looking for something under £50 and CRC has all these (not zee in stock) for below this price point. Also wantr a clutch so shadow+ models or other compatible clutched mechs.
Anyone wish to sway me towards either model or have anecdotes or using them? Or anything else compatible with my zee shifter?
Thanks Smile

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 14:56 Quote
I got my zee fr spec mech to run fine with a general lee 40t cassette conversion and still had b-screw threads to spare, so much it looks like a 42t cog should be workable , I'll know if it's true soon as I ordered a one-up 42t, due late jan, before I knew Santa was bringing the general lee

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 11:50 Quote
I can barely understand what you are saying, but, if "something is bent" with your rear derailleur, make sure to also check the hanger alignment when you mount a new one.

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 12:30 Quote
Hanger is fine, frame is fine but derailleur f√¢k€d as LBS liked to put it... See came back in stock on CRC today for £40 so ordered one.
Macduff let me know how you get on with the general Lee and one ups version when you get it if you can. If I did that I'd probably run a 36 up front for the higher top end or maybe 38 if my frame would take it.

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 8:34 Quote
Oliver-P wrote:
SNIP>
Macduff let me know how you get on with the general Lee and one ups version when you get it if you can. If I did that I'd probably run a 36 up front for the higher top end or maybe 38 if my frame would take it.
Had a few snotty rides with the General Lee 40T add on and its been fine, shifting is no worse than I had with the Zee on the 11-36 cassette, that's to say the Zee shifting is a bit finickety as standard.
The Oneup 42T has arrived and been fitted. My Zee FR RD had enough B-screw adjustment to clear the teeth though I may need to extend the chain slightly to cope with suspension compression chain stretch. I wont get to test ride until the weekend (if my chain is long enough).

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 0:34 Quote
Ok thanks, keep me posted before I buy one! Smile
Got zee now anyway and put an extra 4 links in compared to my old Chaim as it didn't look like it was sitting right but now is visibly drooping because of the slack, is that too slack?
But maybe I'd have to add more if I got a oneup, are what chainring are you running in the front?

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 1:13 Quote
Oliver-P wrote:
Ok thanks, keep me posted before I buy one! Smile
Got zee now anyway and put an extra 4 links in compared to my old Chaim as it didn't look like it was sitting right but now is visibly drooping because of the slack, is that too slack?
But maybe I'd have to add more if I got a oneup, are what chainring are you running in the front?

Sounds like the chain is too long if its drooping, I'm assuming your in the 11t cog when it does as that's when the RD is most likely to reach its max rearward tension . I've a choice of front rings 30 or 32T in narrow/wide spec and a plain 36T. I was running 30T with the 11-36 which limits the top gear a touch (dependant on max cadence) but my local DH trails are snotty knadgery tree lined not wide flat out curves so its difficult to max out on these even in the 30/11 combo. The 40 rear felt fine climbing with the 30T front so will see what the 42T is like before thinking about fitting the 32T , I should also add I like my cadence to be high(ish) rather than slogging so you may prefer higher (esp if you max out in the 11T often)

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 3:53 Quote
It looks slack in all the gears, just like sagging a bit and not keeping a straight taught line like the old one, I can press the chain into the chain stay (almost) from both sides at the same time even with the clutch on amd the bottom will do it with the clutch off.
Fair enough, I often Max out on some of the local trails and tracks so may consider the 34/6 then, thanks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010896
Mobile Version of Website