Shimano Saint hubs vs. Zee hubs ?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Shimano Saint hubs vs. Zee hubs ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2014 at 3:09 Quote
Other than price is there any functional difference between the 2 ? I guess the Zee hubs are a little heavier.....

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 23:03 Quote
probably differences in weight, engagement, bearings, material. just compare the specs side-by-side

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 0:04 Quote
I had saint hubs and they were utter trash. The cup and cone system causes so many problems. The front one came loose so frequently I had to carry cone wrenches with me in my camel back and would have to tighten them sometimes multiple times on the same run! Or, the opposite would happen. At the provincial champs it seized so badly it wouldn't complete a full revolution. You cant locktite that because there is grease there. The back one was even worse. The free hub blew, the axle end broke off (there are only a couple threads which engage at the tip which makes it very weak), and the cups destroyed themselves due to the same loosening the front one exhibited. I got hadley hubs and never looked back.

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 2:57 Quote
Yeh, trashed that idea and went with new Hopes Smile

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 9:35 Quote
jfyfe wrote:
I had saint hubs and they were utter trash. The cup and cone system causes so many problems. The front one came loose so frequently I had to carry cone wrenches with me in my camel back and would have to tighten them sometimes multiple times on the same run! Or, the opposite would happen. At the provincial champs it seized so badly it wouldn't complete a full revolution. You cant locktite that because there is grease there. The back one was even worse. The free hub blew, the axle end broke off (there are only a couple threads which engage at the tip which makes it very weak), and the cups destroyed themselves due to the same loosening the front one exhibited. I got hadley hubs and never looked back.

Dude were they really that bad? Properly adjusted, etc? I have a friend with Shimano hubs and they have been great for him. I know Hadley are one of if not the best. How long did they last you?

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 16:34 Quote
Yes, they were that bad. I feel pretty confident they were properly adjusted as I worked as a bike mechanic for about four years, and the local mechanic I use (who's been doing it for over 20 years) also couldn't get them to work. I had the saint hubs for about 2 years, and I've now had the Hadley hubs for about 2 years as well. The Hadley's rarely come loose, but if they do you need odd size cone wrenches to adjust them. Other than that, they've been awesome.

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 10:44 Quote
Im not a mechanic, so i cant speak for adjustment quality on my bike, but i had exactly the same problem on my shimano zee, front hub. The screw got so badly jammed, the wheel would barely rotate and eventually damage the bearings inside.
I dont give a damn whether i have to fix things from time to time, but consider this: your front wheel is slightly jammed, like you were pressing front break a little bit. And mix it with muddy landing. Bloody hell, it spoiled my day...

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 23:07 Quote
Geez my xt's are going strong after 2 years. Should probably service but if it ain't broke no fix!

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 8:27 Quote
I think zee because saint is a waste money

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 21:16 Quote
if you have to choose one or the other, go with zee because then when the hubs inevitably fail and you have to replace them, you'll have more left over money to buy better hubs.

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 5:01 Quote
I have the zee hubs, they are heavy and the centerlock sucks !!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010441
Mobile Version of Website