Sram X0 1x10 Grinding issues

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sram X0 1x10 Grinding issues
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 3:35 Quote
Hi Guys,

Right I've been running sram X0 now for 6months all has been perfect then i did a ride few weeks back i started getting a grinding effect from the last 3/4 top rear gears when i applied heavy pressure when climbing up hills. At first i thought it was grit and with the bad weather it just pure dirt. So after the ride did same thing as i have always done cleaned bike down. Cleaned cassette/chain/chainset etc i use mucoff and then dry all with a rag. Every three ride i clean the chain with chain cleaner always ran smooth. In this weather its all lubed back up with mucoff wet lube.
My current setup is

full Sram X0 1x10 with KMC Gold chain, sram 10sp 1080 cassette 11-34
rear mech type2 short cage
These are things i have done so far to try resolve the issues.
reset gears, adjust cable etc.
full deep clean of the chain with chain cleaner and then lubed.
full strip an clean of the rear mech/jockey wheels and lubed up.
rear cassette cleaned but not removed from freehub.
front chainset removed and cleaned.

So i have been puzzled so took it to local bike shop they wasn't sure spoke to a sram rep they are stating that a.short cage is the issue??
But if it was a issue why has it just started surely it would of done this in the first place from day one and why are you pro. Riders running this setup if its no gd?

My bike is a hardtail and is a short rear end so it shouldn't be a problem and the rear mech is suppose to be design to take up to a 36t.

So has anyone else had this issue or any ideas what it could be cause I'm running out what else could be the problem.

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 7:34 Quote
If the drivetrain is clean, one of the most common sources of grinding in low gears is the upper jockey wheel touching the cassette teeth. Shift into 1st gear, there should be a few millimeters between the jockey wheel and the cassette teeth. Not as likely with the Sram design or the Shimano shadow design, but possible if you are running a derailleur that cannot handle the gear range you have.

I have found a common source of grinding noises while under power is typically a cause of the front derailleur. Front derailleur set properly when the bike is at rest, but the frame flexing a bit while under load causes the chainrings to rub on the cage. As you don't have a front derailleur, is there a chain guide that might be causing this?

You could look for points where there is evidence of rubbing. Rear tire against the chainstay. Look at the inside of your derailleurs jockey cage to see if there is evidence of chain rub.

Check the alignment of your rear derailleur, was it hit and is sitting on an angle. Ensure your rear derailleur itself is square, maybe the jockey cage was twisted somehow.

Check the chainline on your bike, do you have an extreme angle on the chain in certain gears.

Check the chain length again. If you are running a chain that is too short this can cause issues.

If you exclude the drive train as the source of the problem, it might be a bearing issue. Something in your freehub or bottom bracket most likely.

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 12:22 Quote
just a possibility that the chain is worn/stretched?
Get a chain checker, very useful to know when to replace.

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 12:40 Quote
Thanks i will check it all again.oh sorry yeah the chain has been checked and it isn't stretched. But the chain length is a good question as i thought it would be to short but it worked perfect. I may add a link back into the chain an see if it works

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 1:16 Quote
Hi,
Did you ever get those grinding issues sorted and if so how?
I have the same problem exactly on a yeti, smooth as can be from new then after approx 10 rides it's terrible.
Please advise.
Cheers.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 2:42 Quote
Hello there.

I have noticed exactly the same issue with my SRAM 11 speed setup.

Horrible grinding noise when in the top 3 and putting down the power on steep climbs. It sounds awful, almost like the chain is about to snap. I've traced it to the chain wheel - definitely NOT the mech. It almost seems like under a lot of pressure the chain 'grips' onto the chainwheel (a lot like chain suck) and the noise we're getting is as it is being pulled away, reluctantly, on the bottom side of the wheel.

I'm not sure if this is an issue that will be faced by all SRAM 11 speed owners once their chain wheel and chain have bedded in... or if we're just the 'lucky ones'. I think probably the former and this may become a well know issue.

If so I'm going to Shimano Zee and this will be the last time I give SRAM any of my money.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:06 Quote
Rustybones,
Yes, exactly the same as my xo 11 spd.
I can replicate the suck / grabbing and failing to release the chain by the chain wheel by cycling slowly with brakes on and applying big torque.
I have a hope ss BB, sram said it was wider than the sram and to replace it with a sram red!!
Well, I added some .6mm washers to reduce the alleged thickness difference. I added 1.2mm but noise is the same, no surprise there me thinks.
So what did you do to remedy?
Some forums recommend a new chain and to add a link or 2....is the chain getting too tight in the last 3 low gears?
Trouble is, all the bits are so dear, I don't want to start with buying new anything unless it is the cure.....even a £60 chain.
Pls advise.

Posted: Jul 22, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
I've had the same problem with the xo front grabbing the chain and grinding. It seems to only do it when I put a new chain on and then eventually gets better after 100 miles or so. Tried a cheaper chain and the more expensive one and both do the same. It makes the noise in all gears also under load.
Anyone found a fix for this?

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 12:32 Quote
I'm havering this issue with xx1 its driveing me nuts and it's not right SRAM have got something wrong on this I'm sure of it . I have a 6mm offset SRAM N/w chain ring so chain line is as good as it gets . I've read it's due to chain ring being worn out but I've not had it long . I'm head scratching as to what to do about this I've read lots of info on this but no clear fix . Ok I'm going to order a new raceface ring and let's see if it stops .

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
superbikes wrote:
I'm havering this issue with xx1 its driveing me nuts and it's not right SRAM have got something wrong on this I'm sure of it . I have a 6mm offset SRAM N/w chain ring so chain line is as good as it gets . I've read it's due to chain ring being worn out but I've not had it long . I'm head scratching as to what to do about this I've read lots of info on this but no clear fix . Ok I'm going to order a new raceface ring and let's see if it stops .
Ps one thing I've noticed that makes the grinding loader is useing wet lube . Going to try dry lube

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
Check the bb/hub bearings, that level of cleaning can affect bearings.

Check your hanger/derailleur are straight, the raised teeth on the xx/xo/x 1x rear derailleurs need to be aligned to the enth degree or they dont play well

If you're running 1x10 with a regular type 2 derailleur, check your lower jockey wheel, if its looking like a ninja star or the teeth are looking a bit low, replace it as that can cause a nasty rattle/grind

If these are all in good state, get shimano instead

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 3:47 Quote
Does this look worn out to you ???
photo

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 at 9:07 Quote
i have had the same problems with my x0 11 speed only after 16 to 20 rides the chainring, rear mech fixing bolt and jockey wheels plus the cassette £600 worth of bits are completely worn out

was fine and then started making noise could not see anything wrong then jumping gears and by the time i got home from ride cassette was destroyed i found lots of wear movement in the fixing bolt to the hanger that caused all the damage

after 16 to 20 rides is a jock

contaced sram and them did not want to know

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
Had the exact same issue grinding noise under load. Solution was to get a new front chain ring. When the front ring is worn it holds on to the chain for to long, the noise is the chain releasing off the ring under pressure.
Front ring lasted 7 months.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012764
Mobile Version of Website