Calgary vs Vancouver

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Calgary vs Vancouver
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2014 at 11:52 Quote
Alright guys, I'm looking for some advice basically - in the next year I'm looking to take a year or so in Canada for work and also just for the opportunity of living somewhere else in the world and experiencing new stuff! The firm I work for has offices in all the major cities really but I'm looking at either Calgary or Vancouver, literally just based on their proximity to mountains. I ride primarily all mountain type stuff, live to shred the downhills but don't mind the pedal up either. I like to ride as much as possible, and I have a very outdoor lifestyle back here in the UK (aside from the day job!)

I'm just looking for some info/advice on living and working in these two cities, how they rank for riding (proximity and quality of the riding nearby) climate, lifestyle etc etc

Any info or advice you guys have would be greatly received

Cheers

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 21:59 Quote
The answer is Vancouver.

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 22:10 Quote
vancouver if you want better climate and 1000000000 times better trails and riding and stuff unless you wanna go to calgary where its -40 in the winter and 35 degrees in the summer

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 23:59 Quote
VANCOUVER. Downtown is 15 minutes away from the north shore. The majority of the mountain is straight tech and gnar. It will definitely suit your all-mountain riding style

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 8:25 Quote
Vancouver is def warmer, and closer, but also $$$$$$$. I personally choose to live in Calgary over van. WaaaYyyy more traffic in van. And LOTS of rain. It's so dry here in Calgary and the sunniest city in Canada! Love it here don't regret it for a second. But yes van is closer to stuff but can take you 2+ hours to get 50km sometimes. I can make it 150km into banff in. 1.5 hrs

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:02 Quote
I know the riding around Vancouver is going to be epic but how about Calgary, what's the riding like there?

Basically I think it's gonna be easier for me to get a job in Calgary, potentially better paid and easier to live but I wanna know that the riding is gonna be decent....priorities n all ;-)

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 13:23 Quote
aircooled wrote:
The answer is Vancouver.

I have lived in both and you could never pay me enough money in the world to move back to Calgary, Riding is decent in Calgary area, but amazing in Vancouver area. Weather is sometimes unbearable in Calgary, but the comments on always raining in Vancouver are really blown out of proportion. Cost of living I would say is fairly comparable, you can find expensive and nice to shitty and cheap in both. If you have the chance to get to Vancouver I would take it hands down.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
I recently moved from Vancouver area to Calgary. I was pleasantly surprised by the riding near calgary. The riding in town is nothing special. A few XC loops and COP has lift accessed downhill. Within 30-60 min away there's tons of great riding in Bragg Creek, Moose Mountain, and Kananaskis where there is a mixture of XC, all mountain and downhill trails. You're also close enough for a weekend trip to cities like Fernie, Golden, and Revelstoke if you want to experience riding in BC. IMO what Calgary is missing compared to Vancouver is being able to do epic rides after work on local mountains.

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 22:34 Quote
I can't say anything about Calgary as I have lived in vancouver my whole life but its awesome. As far as the riding goes I can wake up in the morning and choose between three mountains that I could ride that are a 20 minute drive away from my house. The riding is insane here its so awesome. I'd definitely give vancouver a shot

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 23:42 Quote
I lived in CGY for 11 years, now Van for 3.

Riding is twice as good in Van for proximity, variety, and year round access - especially if you count Squamish/Whistler.
Job market in CGY is three times as good as Van but you'll have a shorter riding season (ok if you like snow sports), it gets bitterly cold, and it's very dry; as pointed out, it's very sunny.

You'll be fine with rain being from the UK so if riding is your sole focus and you can afford Van, it's not going to be beat. If you need a boost in career/$ and can deal with less riding & cold, CGY is for you.

Depends on your focus. Good luck with your choice.

AK

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 18:01 Quote
Can't comment on Van but I can share my thoughts on Calgary. Recently moved to Calgary and while it initially took a little homework to find the info, there are a lot of good riding areas close. As mentioned the moose mtn/bragg creek area is great for DH shuttles and AM riding, about 45 min away. Kananaskis country has a lot of gems such as cox hill (definitely not a hill at 3600) and razors edge also 45mins. Cannmore/Banff/ louise offer lots of trails as well.
Weekend trips are easy for BC bike parks.
Actually in the city of Calgary theres some XC areas like fish creek (boring), bowmont park (boring), and East lands which is my preference. COP bike park is fun for after work laps and some fall riding, mostly flowly.
Sounds like Vancouver has sick riding and a much longer season. Pricey.
You will likely have more disposable income in Calgary if snowbird bike trips interest you. We have long winters so you better like skiing/boarding, if you do the options are awesome. If you want to ride yr round and are okay in the rain then you should be somewhere on the west coast.

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 18:04 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
Can't comment on Van but I can share my thoughts on Calgary. Recently moved to Calgary and while it initially took a little homework to find the info, there are a lot of good riding areas close. As mentioned the moose mtn/bragg creek area is great for DH shuttles and AM riding, about 45 min away. Kananaskis country has a lot of gems such as cox hill (definitely not a hill at 3600) and razors edge also 45mins. Cannmore/Banff/ louise offer lots of trails as well.
Weekend trips are easy for BC bike parks.
Actually in the city of Calgary theres some XC areas like fish creek (boring), bowmont park (boring), and East lands which is my preference. COP bike park is fun for after work laps and some fall riding, mostly flowly.
I usually get to ride in mtns 3-4 days a week here as I finish early some days and get weekends. Late sun sets in summer
Sounds like Vancouver has sick riding and a much longer season. Pricey.
You will likely have more disposable income in Calgary if snowbird bike trips interest you. We have long winters so you better like skiing/boarding, if you do the options are awesome. If you want to ride yr round and are okay in the rain then you should be somewhere on the west coast.

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 at 0:34 Quote
I lived in both. Vancouver for 21 years, Calgary for 2 years.

Calgary - Two seasons, winter and summer. Summer is awesome, nice and warm, lots of sunshine but it only lasts you for two months. Winter is extremely cold and you can't ride due to snow. Lasts about 10 months. Dry climate. Being able to only ride a couple months of the year sorta drives you nuts. As for work, WAY easier to find work compared to Vancouver and pays a lot more. Rent is cheaper.

Vancouver - Multiple seasons, a lot of rain. Doesn't get too cold here and snows a couple times a year. Riding is gnar, arguably the best in the world. Pretty humid. Shitty thing is it's VERY expensive to live, and very hard to find a job.

I'd say go with Vancouver, but you might be struggling financially.
Here's an example. In Calgary I was making $17 an hour and paying roughly $500 a month for rent.
In Vancouver I'm making $12 an hour doing the EXACT same job and paying $900 for rent.

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 at 12:15 Quote
hmm interesting
the break down i noticed is 6months May-0ct of biking and 6months of skiing

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048252
Mobile Version of Website