Powered by Outside

Why do you like bottlerockets?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Why do you like bottlerockets?
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 6:52 Quote
I'd like to know where the attraction for the bottlerocket come from. I mean where did it come from? Why this bike more than an other?

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:13 Quote
i found tbc on my own while looking for new frames. this was before i was a user of pinkbike (so maybe a month, month and a half ago...), and liked the geo, looks, and the product description on the site sold me. my first two picks for new frames were the BR and the Double, but i favored more travel over the semi-suspended dirt jump hard tail geo of the double, mainly because i do more all around than just djs, and i like to land like a feather. i dont know, for me, the description on the tbc website about the BR sold me too. maybe it sold other people, but advertising like that from a small company really amazes me. weeeeeeeee thats a long post!!

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
riderideride wrote:
I'd like to know where the attraction for the bottlerocket come from. I mean where did it come from? Why this bike more than an other?

The people who own transition ride. The people involved with transition ride. They have a very grass roots image. Almost like they seem more like your riding buds than businessmen.

The bikes are good, but people do get way overexcited about them. They seem to appeal to fashion riders too. All colour coded trinkits everywhere.

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
dec*nto wrote:
riderideride wrote:

The people who own transition ride. The people involved with transition ride. They have a very grass roots image. Almost like they seem more like your riding buds than businessmen.

The bikes are good, but people do get way overexcited about them. They seem to appeal to fashion riders too. All colour coded trinkits everywhere.

this is a good answer!! wo

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:34 Quote
dec*nto wrote:
riderideride wrote:

I'm pretty sure that most people involved in bike companies ride. You can't tell me that the people from Kona, Intense, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Canfield Bros., BMW, and so on don't ride. Bike companies and their employees are all passionate about riding and building bikes. That is precisely why they are in the bike business in the first place.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:44 Quote
downhillmtbwa wrote:
dec*nto wrote:
riderideride wrote:

I'm pretty sure that most people involved in bike companies ride. You can't tell me that the people from Kona, Intense, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Canfield Bros., BMW, and so on don't ride. Bike companies and their employees are all passionate about riding and building bikes. That is precisely why they are in the bike business in the first place.

what I'm saying is the owners and founders of transition ride. But yes, canfeild are the same. But BMW, kona, specialized are not, their employees may love riding but that doesnt mean the average rider can identify themselves with the comapny at large in the same way that they can with real rider owned companies. People want their bikes to be manufactured by people like themselves and that makes sense. Who would you prefer to spend a day on the trails with and head out for a beer afterwards - the CEO of specialized or Kyle from transition?

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
now thats what im talking about.....and..... it might just be that like ski and surf. slopestyle has made a lot of mtb people turn into lifestyle. or at lest that happend to me. before i used to ride my hardtail to dj or full sus to dh. but now ive got my do it all br i cant stop going for a quick ride. [at least till the winter came] i mean it got so bad my girl thorght i was haveing an affair. and no bike i have or had made me feel that way. so mayby theres outher bikes but, the first out assosiated with ss was the br. which makes all the outhers copys or just on the bandwagon. and in truth, missed the mark. but the br as well as all the outher stuff it can do. came with perfect timeing. for the up to date compleate mtb,er

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 16:59 Quote
dec*nto wrote:
1.People want their bikes to be manufactured by people like themselves and that makes sense. 2.Who would you prefer to spend a day on the trails with and head out for a beer afterwards - the CEO of specialized or Kyle from transition?

1. Transition bikes are manufactured in Taiwan, handmade like specialized, kona, norco... Transition just shouts loudly to people about things that other companies are too, but most of the customers(riders) don't know about them. All frames are handmade, welded by a man, not a machine, most of them are produced on Taiwan but quality depends on money that a company spend on materials and technologies used.

2. How do you know that CEO from specialized isn't a passionate rider too? Kyle just promotes himself because people dig this! Open your eyes people, Transition's ain't bad but everybody seems to believe in their own mythology and legends about their frames and stuff. Good thing for Bottlerocket owners because the suspension design is pretty 'cheap' but most of them ride more on the myth than on a piece of CNC'd alu and don't care that they could have spent their money better...

3. The fact is that Transition Bikes know how to sell their frames, and they are doing it pretty well... Next company that will try the same tricks around the market is Banshee with their new lineup for 2008, beware! (But I'm pretty sure the quality will be much higher than Transitions)

4. If you have something against that I'm riding on 'known as cheap' Stinky with really poor suspension design... Ok, but it was FREE and it does his job Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 4:08 Quote
I like mine because of the way it rides. The geo is spot on for what I use it for, I don't feel like I'm wallowing in suspension travel, and I feel confident that it's backed by a quality company. I don't much care what others think of it to be honest. The men, not boys, that I ride with spend time riding rather than taking pictures of themselves riding. I have color matched trinkets on my bike because I personally like it. Here's another bike with color matched bits that I like and it's not even a Bottlerocket.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/audionut44/ssbike001.jpgWho doesn't want their bike to look nice. Go find one to ride and you'll see why people like it, It's not a life changing event, it's not way better than bikes similar to it in geometry, but it is very nice and reasonably priced. I didn't buy it because other people did or told me to. I had do drive a decent distance just to test ride one. That day I tested a Demo 8, an SXT, and the BR. The demo 8 was more than I was looking for and I just liked the BR better than the SXT, not by a great margin but enough to sway me. At the time I was also considering a Nicolai UFO-ST which I would have preferred over all the other choices but it was just out of my price range.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
Man, i've said it a bunch of times on a bunch of threads, but here it is again.

The Bottlerocket started my quest for a new bike. The first "quest" in seven years (no really). I've seen alot of bikes, fads and "must have's" come and go, but none jumped out and slapped me like the BR did. Who knows if i'll even end up getting a new bike, but there has to be something said for the marketing.

The description spoke to me, the point about not being weighted down by suspension anymore really hit home (i'm on a 47 lb '01 RM7 now), the stuff I ride these days is so much less big hit and much more smooth flow, so the big, burlly DH rig kinda sucks alot of the time. I imagined taking a BR where the seven is not so good (day rides in the Calgary or Edmonton river valleys, some DJ's, or even Millenium park) but still being able to ride where I love (ski hills like C.O.P, fernie etc.).

Any whooo, even if it's just another "right place, right time" marketing ploy, good on the guy's from Transition for stirring the pot. It needs to be done every once and a while.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 8:19 Quote
the bottlerocket is a freakin awesome bike, you can build it for really anything you want...it's cheap. and the company is awesome. i love working with them. the difference between them and specialized...at interbike they wouldn't even let us in their booth to look at the bikes, but when we went over to transition we walked in and they offered us a beer...and they didn't even know who we were. now that's the kind of company i want to work with

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
Enrumail wrote:
dec*nto wrote:
1.People want their bikes to be manufactured by people like themselves and that makes sense. 2.Who would you prefer to spend a day on the trails with and head out for a beer afterwards - the CEO of specialized or Kyle from transition?

1. Transition bikes are manufactured in Taiwan, handmade like specialized, kona, norco... Transition just shouts loudly to people about things that other companies are too, but most of the customers(riders) don't know about them. All frames are handmade, welded by a man, not a machine, most of them are produced on Taiwan but quality depends on money that a company spend on materials and technologies used.

2. How do you know that CEO from specialized isn't a passionate rider too? Kyle just promotes himself because people dig this! Open your eyes people, Transition's ain't bad but everybody seems to believe in their own mythology and legends about their frames and stuff. Good thing for Bottlerocket owners because the suspension design is pretty 'cheap' but most of them ride more on the myth than on a piece of CNC'd alu and don't care that they could have spent their money better...

3. The fact is that Transition Bikes know how to sell their frames, and they are doing it pretty well... Next company that will try the same tricks around the market is Banshee with their new lineup for 2008, beware! (But I'm pretty sure the quality will be much higher than Transitions)

4. If you have something against that I'm riding on 'known as cheap' Stinky with really poor suspension design... Ok, but it was FREE and it does his job Smile

the transition frames are also verrry affordable. 1500 for a DH frame is unheard of, and the br is 1300. pretty damn cheap

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:22 Quote
Enrumail wrote:
dec*nto wrote:

1) "their bikes to be manufactured" was a poor choice of wording. Replace with "Compaines to be run".

2) I do know that specialized CEO, Mike Sinyard is passionate about bikes, but at 58 he's hardly going to be heading out and sending big road gaps. I was commenting on how people like to feel in touch with their bike's makers. As a guy mentioned above me, he was offered a beer at the transition show stand, while he couldnt get near the specialized one. The fact is that Specialized is like any big company, they make good stuff but because of their size, the customers are alienated and some people dont like that.

They like to think they can call the cheif and that he'll speak the same language as them. With all due respect to mike sinyard, he'd be more likely to sit at home counting his millions, Kyle Young (one of the transision owners) will probably be chilling with his bros, talking about the day's riding having a brew.

You can go out of your way to contradict everything I say but this is my opinion. It's not fact, it's just the way I see things.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 15:57 Quote
i think they look pretty cool.

and for the reasons of build and where and what not what you gonna do when transition get as big as specialized.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
Sorry but I don't have to speak english everyday so It's not perfect...
For me Bottlerocket ain't cheap; I'd say it's pretty expensive for product that your getting at that price. Someone compared BR's price to an average DH frame... Bottlerocket obviously isn't a DH frame. But I'm not saying I won't get one in this year... Wink It's dialed, simple, and good amount of travel for dirt jumping/parks so it might be better than big 16' stinky with stupid floating brakes that weight a ton becuase they just can't change their shitty susp. design... not to mention waiting for a frame from warrany for 4 months (talkin bout Kona)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.631948
Mobile Version of Website