What else to become more of a DH bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What else to become more of a DH bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 15:19 Quote
So, in the quest to try and achieve a do it all bike I have fitted a coil shock to my lapierre spicy. So 170mm lyriks, crossmax sx wheels, dhx5 rear coil shock and michelin 2.2 wild rock'rs (they are a large case). The bike is slackened out to about 65 degrees so feels nice and stable at speed, The bike is missing something on the descents compared to a dh bike. It feels like a damping thing if that makes sense? I own an evil dh bike too so not overly sure why I am obsessing but with the move over to racing the lapierre in enduro's I want to make the thing feel more planted and more sure footed. The bike just seems to lack something in the tech and knar, is this just inherent with the bike that I wont be able to overcome? I feel that uk dh should be ridden fast and comfortably with this kind of bike, what more can I do? Any suggestions please as I have been left scratching my head a bit. I have sessioned the same black dh tracks with both bikes in the same day and they are quite wide apart right now in terms of performance.

Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
heres a pic, slack and a pretty burly build, but not working?

Lapierre with coil

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 12:13 Quote
I'd say you have done all you can do to the bike , the changes in geo that are needed to make it feel like a DH bike in the techy/fast stuff , long wheel base , slack head angle , low BB are ones you can not achieve.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 12:19 Quote
Cheers, you may be right! I am sending the shock off to TF tuned to get an MX tune on and see what happens then!

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 12:53 Quote
Offset cups? Offset shock bushings? Short shock the bike?

I'm coming to terms that my voltage, without spending a few hundred for dh linkages, will never be a true dh bike. Damn close though.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 14:33 Quote
Madmax, one of my friends has just compared his voltage in exactly the same way as you! He told me it just doesn't have the plowability of a dh bike and that's exactly what's wrong with mine. Too stiff and rigid. Mine is indeed so so close but missing the last bit of 'something' maybe it's a geometry thing, I discounted this as I have a 65 degree head angle and reasonably low bb but I suppose in dh terms I'm still a degree or two out

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 15:30 Quote
You have two great bikes by the sounds of it , I personally would use each for it's intended purpose and not try and make one similar to the other.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 30, 2014 at 18:45 Quote
thought of maybe getting a air shock ?

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 3:07 Quote
Bigburd, that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to now. Not too sure why I was obsessed with this tbh

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013276
Mobile Version of Website