Rate my 650b - rate the bike above yours

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Rate my 650b - rate the bike above yours
O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 13:21 Quote
I like that Trance a lot...looks just right for some reason. Some Kashima coated forks would go good with that paint but I'd still give it a solid 9.

My 45650b is finished:

photo

Will ride this till it dies and then replace with full susser some time in the future.

FL
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 14:01 Quote
manachim wrote:
Ahhhh.... trance sx.
always like trance and reign line up in giant bike.
if its mine, I will swap the fork. Saint brake its kinda overkill for this bike I guess, but brakes its kinda personal preference.
maybe put on a giant cog will be great.

Have you been reading my mind?? That's EXACTLY what I'd do, how's she ride?? I was offered one 20% under rrp but got offered the orange for 50% off lol so took that!!! Always loved my old trance though and was curious if you could shuttle this and rag it like a dh bike

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 15:22 Quote
sewer-rat wrote:
manachim wrote:
Ahhhh.... trance sx.
if its mine, I will swap the fork. Saint brake its kinda overkill for this bike I guess, but brakes its kinda personal preference.

Have you been reading my mind?? That's EXACTLY what I'd do, how's she ride?? I was offered one 20% under rrp but got offered the orange for 50% off lol so took that!!! Always loved my old trance though and was curious if you could shuttle this and rag it like a dh bike

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really digging this bike. It's such a huge improvement from my old anthem its not even funny.
@Manachim, in terms of the giant cog I'm guessing you mean a 40T or 42T in the rear? Honestly, I dropped the stock 36T Zee chainring to a 34T N/W. That paired with the 36T big ring in the back has been enough for me. We'll see how it works for steeper climbs tho. Haha, of course the brakes are overkill, but 4 pot callipers rule!!Big Grin (good for my arthritic fingers too. lol).
@Sewer-rat, the hill I ride at has a decent couple of downhill type runs. Not overly steep or long, but enough to put her through her paces. It's upped my confidence so much. My skills are nowhere near the capabilities of this bike. I'm hoping to hit Bromont a couple of times this summer. Will keep you posted.
Would like to have a better fork, I think a Pike would set it off nicely but the OD2 kinda prevents that without being stuck with the 34. Can only sell it to OD2 bikes. It works really well for me tho.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 6:59 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
sewer-rat wrote:
manachim wrote:
Ahhhh.... trance sx.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really digging this bike. It's such a huge improvement from my old anthem its not even funny.
@Manachim, in terms of the giant cog I'm guessing you mean a 40T or 42T in the rear? Honestly, I dropped the stock 36T Zee chainring to a 34T N/W. That paired with the 36T big ring in the back has been enough for me. We'll see how it works for steeper climbs tho. Haha, of course the brakes are overkill, but 4 pot callipers rule!!Big Grin (good for my arthritic fingers too. lol).
@Sewer-rat, the hill I ride at has a decent couple of downhill type runs. Not overly steep or long, but enough to put her through her paces. It's upped my confidence so much. My skills are nowhere near the capabilities of this bike. I'm hoping to hit Bromont a couple of times this summer. Will keep you posted.
Would like to have a better fork, I think a Pike would set it off nicely but the OD2 kinda prevents that without being stuck with the 34. Can only sell it to OD2 bikes. It works really well for me tho.

I have a 2014 Trance 2, ditched the Fox 32 (not as good as the 34 TALAS on the SX) forks that came on it after 2-3 weeks as they were that bad. Bought a pike in the easter sales, so I went from 140mm to 160mm fork and to a normal 1 1/8" steerer rather than the OD2 which I hadn't managed to get a 50mm stem for yet. If you're thinking about doing it, do it! Really good fork.

Anyhow, the new Trance's ride really well though I think the rear Fox CTD shocks on them are rubbish. My biggest complaint with the new Trance is that the bottom bracket is too low when sagged and causes far too many pedal strikes for my liking.

Did you go for bigger rotors along with the Saint brakes? Those things must stop well. I think a bigger rotor on the front of mine would help as I feel it's a bit lacking even with SLX brakes.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 11:39 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
sewer-rat wrote:
manachim wrote:
Ahhhh.... trance sx.

Fork - an alternative to replacement would be damper upgrade, and keep the fork. You could buy the Fox FIT damper, or Avalanche makes a cartridge upgrade.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 13:36 Quote
I have a 2014 Trance 2, ditched the Fox 32 (not as good as the 34 TALAS on the SX) forks that came on it after 2-3 weeks as they were that bad. Bought a pike in the easter sales, so I went from 140mm to 160mm fork and to a normal 1 1/8" steerer rather than the OD2 which I hadn't managed to get a 50mm stem for yet. If you're thinking about doing it, do it! Really good fork.

Anyhow, the new Trance's ride really well though I think the rear Fox CTD shocks on them are rubbish. My biggest complaint with the new Trance is that the bottom bracket is too low when sagged and causes far too many pedal strikes for my liking.

Did you go for bigger rotors along with the Saint brakes? Those things must stop well. I think a bigger rotor on the front of mine would help as I feel it's a bit lacking even with SLX brakes.[/Quote]

@gaz552, love the colour scheme on the trance 2. Factory stealthed out, good move. Bet it looks mean with a Pike. The rear shock I kinda just leave in descend, same with the fork. CTD is a bit unnecessary for the RP23, maybe better on the piggyback models. I find the trail setting gets really chattery. Been playing around with the pressures and rebound settings and getting close to where I like it. The fork at first was really sticky but has worked in and is now quite smooth. They're kinda like the fox floats on my sled, the ride is better, for me, with the pressure just a little below what fox says for your weight. I'm only about 180 with gear so the fork never really gets caught behind itself on rebound, I heard it was a problem on the '13's.
Maybe go with a Pike for next year... replacing the cartridge or damper might be an option tho. Thanks for the suggestion @brianl. Definitely easier on the pocketbook.
Kept the rotors stock for now 180 f, 160 r. Saints stop like you hit a wall. More then enough brake for me. The SLX's I've heard are quite good, I think I would have left them alone if they came stock, but the Deore's that came spec'ed I thought were kinda meh. I thought the bike deserved better. Plus they look kinda Pimp

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 17:46 Quote
@FuzzySockSucker

I always look leave the CTD shock on descend/open. I imagine if I was anyway fit and was doing long climbs the trail setting might be good.

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 4:35 Quote
rydelean wrote:
Madmanspencer wrote:
Graeme4130 wrote:

Looks like the Forest of Dean ?

Haha no mate, swinley!
Loving that Capra!

Have they redone the gully yet!

Redone the gully? When were you last here?

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 7:31 Quote
Madmanspencer wrote:
rydelean wrote:
Madmanspencer wrote:

Haha no mate, swinley!
Loving that Capra!

About march, should of been going today but my mate dropped out. I heard they were going to rebuild it that's all.
Here's my new wip
Nomad c
Nomad c
Got lots of gold ti bolts coming to replace all the steel ones

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 7:59 Quote
rydelean wrote:
Madmanspencer wrote:
rydelean wrote:

About march, should of been going today but my mate dropped out. I heard they were going to rebuild it that's all.
Here's my new wip
Nomad c
Nomad c
Got lots of gold ti bolts coming to replace all the steel ones

That's a thing of beauty

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 8:45 Quote
Redone the gully? When were you last here?[/Quote]
Here's my new wip
Nomad c
Nomad c
Got lots of gold ti bolts coming to replace all the steel ones[/Quote]

That's a thing of beauty[/Quote]
I had to sell one and half bikes just to get the frame lol, but it every thing they say it is. It goes up very well and comes down even bettertup

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 8:54 Quote
Whippage indeed!!
Well it was flooded in winter, I've been going 2to 3 times a week since marchish, seems ok, not sure if it's been "rebuilt" as such

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 9:24 Quote
Madmanspencer wrote:
Whippage indeed!!
Well it was flooded in winter, I've been going 2to 3 times a week since marchish, seems ok, not sure if it's been "rebuilt" as such
Every time I go I get lost can find the xc loops their ok but can never find all the good stuff just bits n bobs, and can't find the runs on strava any more either

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 12:46 Quote
To get to the gully go past go ape, keep going up the fire road all the way till you can't go further, turn right and keep going until you get to the star post, there is a steep hill In front of you, go right and fork left for gully or go left at star post and follow the fire road round to get near the dh and red 25 (I think), hope this helps

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 12:48 Quote
Oh yeah go up the steep hill I mentioned for red 15

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022481
Mobile Version of Website