How much travel do I need?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How much travel do I need?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2014 at 16:24 Quote
Hi guys, today I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1 (should be here Friday aww yeahh). I was initially going to go with the SX version (for those who don't know, the trance 1 comes with a 120-140mm adjustable fork while the SX version comes with a 140-160mm adjustable fork) but those were unfortunately sold out. I come from a downhill background and am looking for something more versatile and climbable but I also still want to hit the big stuff too. Nothing insane like Red Bull Rampage stuff, but probably up to 10 foot drops (haven't hit one yet but I'm building a 7 footer and want to progress more) and decent sized jumps (recently found a private MX course with tables measuring about 4-5 feet tall and 35-40 foot lengths). I'd also go to lift access gravity bike parks once a month or so.

I'm leaning towards getting a 160mm RS Pike Dual Air and selling the stock Fox Talas 32 Evolution Series fork my Trance 1 will come with. I have fellow riders telling me to wait and see how I like the stock fork first but I'm not sure if I want to. The Pike will just about empty my piggy bank but I think if I sell the stock fork right away I can make some of the money back.

So what do you guys think? Would a 140mm Talas be alright? Or should I go with my gut and get the Pike? I hate spending money though but I think getting the Pike would have it's benefits. I don't know what to do... someone help me. Thanks.

Posted: May 21, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
on my all mtn rig i have 160mm talas but i almost never adjust it i love the versatility of 160mm of travel i would get the pike

Posted: May 21, 2014 at 17:13 Quote
Have you spent any time on a 140mm fork?

Posted: May 21, 2014 at 18:09 Quote
Nah just 100mm on my dad's cross country bike it feels very limiting though seeing as u come from a backround in dh I think bigger travel would suit u better

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009208
Mobile Version of Website