Shimano XTR rear mech.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano XTR rear mech.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 25, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
Basically I have a Shimano XTR rear mech and SLX shifters but I find there not nice and clicky or smooth, it feels like it's just about changing gear, but on my friends bikes they have zee rear mechs and shifters and SLX shifters and zee mechs and they make a nice crisp click , will a XTR shifter fix this, I want a nice snappy response not a big clunk, I've had my derailleur adjusted before but it just doesn't stay tuned.

Posted: May 26, 2014 at 0:51 Quote
Generally the higher range Shimano shifters do tend to have a much nicer feel to them, to the extent that quite often it is better to change the shifter before you change the derailleur. An XTR derailleur with a Deore derailleur won't feel as nice as a Deore derailleur with an XTR shifter.

Posted: May 26, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
SLX shifter should work just fine with an XTR rear derailleur. Upgrading to an XTR shifter will only solve your issues if the SLX shifter was worn out/broken. And if your SLX shifter is worn out/broken, then you would get the same result by just getting new SLX shifters. The XTR shifter might have a slightly silkier feel at the lever, but nowhere near the point where an unbroken SLX shifter needs to be upgraded in order for your shifting system to operate.

When you compare you and your friend’s shifting, it is much, much, much more likely the difference is a maintenance issue. Clean cables/housing vs. grimy cables/housing. Aligned derailleur hanger vs. askew derailleur hanger. New/clean chain/cassette vs. old/grimy chain/cassette. Clean derailleur vs. grimy derailleur. Straight derailleur jockey assembly vs. bent derailleur jockey assembly.

Posted: May 26, 2014 at 12:17 Quote
Cackerman wrote:
SLX shifter should work just fine with an XTR rear derailleur. Upgrading to an XTR shifter will only solve your issues if the SLX shifter was worn out/broken. And if your SLX shifter is worn out/broken, then you would get the same result by just getting new SLX shifters. The XTR shifter might have a slightly silkier feel at the lever, but nowhere near the point where an unbroken SLX shifter needs to be upgraded in order for your shifting system to operate.

When you compare you and your friend’s shifting, it is much, much, much more likely the difference is a maintenance issue. Clean cables/housing vs. grimy cables/housing.
Aligned derailleur hanger vs. askew derailleur hanger. New/clean chain/cassette vs. old/grimy chain/cassette. Clean derailleur vs. grimy derailleur. Straight derailleur jockey assembly vs. bent derailleur jockey assembly.

Everything is spotless the bike is in way better condition, I think I'll just get XTR shifters and see.

Posted: May 26, 2014 at 12:17 Quote
Kiwiplague wrote:
Generally the higher range Shimano shifters do tend to have a much nicer feel to them, to the extent that quite often it is better to change the shifter before you change the derailleur. An XTR derailleur with a Deore derailleur won't feel as nice as a Deore derailleur with an XTR shifter.

Ok I'm gonna try the XTR shifters

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008704
Mobile Version of Website