Opinion on Specialized Enduro Comp 29'er 2014....?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Opinion on Specialized Enduro Comp 29'er 2014....?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 1:57 Quote
Hey guys..

Is my first post here and am soon to buy a new mountain bike..
Simply put, I want to know others opinions on the Giant Trance 1 (27.5) against the Specialized Enduro Comp 29er.
I'm getting a new bike (or want to) ASAP and are in about 3- 3.5k price range. If not the giant or specialized, what else would you recommend?

Trance: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/14919/66471/

Enduro: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/enduro/enduro-comp-29

Cheers.

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 3:24 Quote
Hey Loolover - I reckon the Trance and Enduro are in different categories. I looked at the Enduro but decided it was too much bike for most riding and ended up buying the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Evo 29er. After a couple of months riding its fair to say I'm stoked with the bike.
I came off an Intense Tracer 29 which was a weapon through the rough but kept breaking so I had to cut it away! The Stumpy feels easily as capable as the Tracer and my riding buddies would probably say faster. I upgraded the forks to Pikes straight away - small cost (couple hundred) to change up after selling the Revelations, I'm glad I did that.
One of my mates is on a Trance now - I reckon if you're angling towards an Enduro you should look at the Trance SX model. I had a look at the Cannondale Trigger which looked pretty nice too - although complete new model next year..

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 5:06 Quote
Spike -

Hey I am looking at the SX too. It's just annoying - i've advanced my budget firstly from 2.5 to 3, and now to 3.5.. making it up to 4k is just going to be stretching it a little too far (i'm a poor uni student and this is going to be putting me in debt - in combination with Uni fees haha!

Do you, or anyone on this forum have input on Enduro Comps and on how they can actually climb..? Cairns trails do have a lot of XC, but I also want a bike i'm not scared to do downhill on and throw into some aggressive, rocky sections.

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 7:35 Quote
hi loolover, i have the enduro 29 comp, and i can certainly vouch for its climbing ability, the shock is a ctd and the pikes have full locckout (not that its needed really) going uphill feels almost like its cheating against friends on 26ers! its just so easy but the beauty is when you turn it back downhill! amazing!! its ready to rock out of the box apart from needing a dropper post(i fitted a reverb stealth) i also test rode the trance 1, but it felt a little xc for me, more akin to the stumpy really, still a great bike but different feel, good luck with what ever you choose.

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 15:00 Quote
johnjules wrote:
hi loolover, i have the enduro 29 comp, and i can certainly vouch for its climbing ability, the shock is a ctd and the pikes have full locckout (not that its needed really) going uphill feels almost like its cheating against friends on 26ers! its just so easy but the beauty is when you turn it back downhill! amazing!! its ready to rock out of the box apart from needing a dropper post(i fitted a reverb stealth) i also test rode the trance 1, but it felt a little xc for me, more akin to the stumpy really, still a great bike but different feel, good luck with what ever you choose.

Potentially the best post i've seen so far in making me want to buy the E29 Comp. are there ANY negatives that you would give about the bike?

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 3:41 Quote
i can honestly say there are no negatives to the E29s performance at all, a few of my friends have tried it also and been amazed by its abilities, its been used for full on uplifts, enduro days in the alps and cross country over dartmoor, climbing is excellent, and descending,short of a downhill bike, is as good as it gets! my previous bike was a 26 stumpjumper which i loved but this bike just blows it out of the water.the only mods i have made is a renthal bar and a reverb stealth, the rest of the bike is spot on for purpose! particularly the pikes which are simply the best forks i have ever ridden. hope this helps.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 19:38 Quote
johnjules wrote:
i can honestly say there are no negatives to the E29s

Cheers bro, mind is made up. buying it in a few weeks!

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 11:48 Quote
Sorry to reopen this thread, but like to add a +1 to the enduro 29. I had an enduro 2011 and wanted another but couldn't find one anywhere, I test rode the Trek Slash 650b at Bike Park Wales, an Orange five 650b and a Kona Process alongside the enduro. Bottom line the enduro was easily the most capable of the bikes and better still doesn't feel that much different in handling than my previous enduro, it just rolls a hell of a lot faster. Stuck a thomson dropper on it, perfect.

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 19:09 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.gyazo.com/49a0d3cd908e8551fe6382f627fee5e0.png
Sorry to open up this thread again...
Got it yesterday.. absolutely stoked on it!

Edit: the post is a specialized command post. It's on the lowest setting in the photo, so no, i'm not a midget..

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 20:59 Quote
Beauty mate! I'm also in love with mine. Climbs like a goat. More fun to ride than a goat I'm thinking though. Enjoy!

Posted: Jul 12, 2014 at 1:41 Quote
outsmith wrote:
Beauty mate! I'm also in love with mine. Climbs like a goat. More fun to ride than a goat I'm thinking though. Enjoy!

Hahaha, I have been impressed with the bike so far in terms of climbing! Literally every other aspect of the bike has been unbeatable.
I've never really owned a softie XC bike, so in all seriousness, how would you compare yours to this? I feel it might be a little slower on the uphills, but it is incredibly capable either way.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
I'm not sure what you mean compare... I have a 2014 enduro comp also so probably very similar to your enduro comp. Ha ha. I feel it climbs better than my 2010 stumpy fsr with 26 inch wheels. The bike just seems to fit me better or I fit it. I was worried about the climbing before I got it but I had decided I was up for the challenge if it wasn't as good but like I said I find it to be the better climber. I'm going out to hug my bike now and go for a ride too.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
Good to hear all your feedback on the enduro, cos I've just bought a 2014 model at a huge discount off rrp, which is awesome, I'm selling a tracer 2 for it, which is amazing, but just really fancied trying a 29er, but wanted something that was a flying machine on the downs, which aparantly these are.. Can't wait to pick it up, was worried I was going to be disappointed after the capability of the traser but saw a vid on youtube the other day with a comp chasing a Santa Cruz v10 carbon downhill, looks like leogang but I may be wrong on that, but he's on the v10s ass all the way to the end! How versatile is that! Should do me nicely for the alps next July... Can't wait!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013716
Mobile Version of Website