Where are the new bikes for freeride?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Where are the new bikes for freeride?
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 17:21 Quote
Scott Voltage FRs are pretty sweet.

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 22:08 Quote
lots of the bikes mentioned seem like park bikes to be. A free ride bike should allow enough seatpost extension to climb. Bikes like the Soda would work if you are short. I am taller and ended up getting a cove std just so I could at least climb up access roads.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 22:55 Quote
I just picked up a Diamondback Scapegoat a few weeks ago and I really like it. It can pedal up FS roads pretty well.
Also, a friend of mine got the Airborne Toxin earlier this year and he likes it a lot considering the low price.

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 2:06 Quote
Soda works fine for pedalling, I'm 6"1. That's the benefit of having an ability to lengthen shock stroke and chain stays.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
Tora-Bora wrote:
Yes, now I have some alternatives. But I wonder: is it developers decided freeride bikes are redundant? I was in Planai last month, and I took bike for rent. They have only Lapierre DH 720 and Lapierre AM Spicy(650B). So AM bike 160mm travel long and 650B wheels takes place freeride bike with 180mm travel( last year they had Lapierre Froggy).

It does seem that developers eliminated the freeride bikes for several years and have used DH bikes in their place. Many riders in my area also use DH rigs for free style riding (very successfully, might I add). But it looks like they are starting to differentiate between DH and freeride again (see links below). However, the "park" bikes still look a lot more like DH bikes then they have in the past.

http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/flatline/2014
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/gravity/session/session_8_park_26/#

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 18:13 Quote
Ahh I get you. My theory is Freeride has gone through a few phases, it used to be hugely popular in the era's where mags and DVDs were making companies money, so demand was there and investment went in. When the internet came along, and without a commercially viable competition platform I think companies realised there was not enough money to gain in manufacturing these bikes - the dawn of slopesytyle seems to be reviving things in the freeride market but not as we know it! If companies see a chance to make a ton of profit selling and marketing freeride specific geometry triple crowns - bet your ass we will see them coming back! Sadly it's all money... Alas though, there are always the odd one or two gems in the rough!

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 11:06 Quote
Tora-Bora wrote:
I was going to buy my new bike for freeride in this year and figured out that many developers stopped to make bikes for freeride. Where is Norco Truax or Lapierre Froggy? They have left only two choice: DH bikes or AM 27.5 bikes. What happened?

The NS Soda Freeride is the best you can get in my opinion. Light, nimble, Straight seat tube so you can run a really long seatpost. Im 6'2" and i climb on mine all day long. 7" travel 32lbs all metal. Iv cycled through a few frames but have kept the Soda FR as my favorite and have been riding it for over 2yrs now. I have the hookup on NS if you want one. 4083710644 Christo.

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 11:44 Quote
dont want to interrupt the thread but for a 15 year old riding light fr along with dirt jumping and light dh, not been riding for that long, would you recommend a trek session or sx trail? my gt hardtail is gonna break. both would have a 180mm domain up front or old fox float and both be 09 used frames built up with cheap parts. im 5ft 6"/170cm, about 120lbs. thanks

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017425
Mobile Version of Website