YT Capra Owners

Posted: Mar 12, 2024 at 17:43 Quote
BikerSam5 wrote:
Got my capra in yesterday, and finally had a chance to ride some trails and jumps today. This is the first time I've ever fallen in love with a bike on my first ride, everything about it fits me perfectly and is exactly how I want it to be for my style. So stoked to finally have a YT!

Heck ya happy to hear it!! What a feeling I bet...so the medium was a success?

Posted: Mar 12, 2024 at 18:47 Quote
murph284 wrote:
BikerSam5 wrote:
Got my capra in yesterday, and finally had a chance to ride some trails and jumps today. This is the first time I've ever fallen in love with a bike on my first ride, everything about it fits me perfectly and is exactly how I want it to be for my style. So stoked to finally have a YT!

Heck ya happy to hear it!! What a feeling I bet...so the medium was a success?

Medium was a great success, the geometry figures felt super similar to my previous bike and exactly what I wanted the bike to feel like. I am running the flip chip in low fwiw

Posted: Mar 12, 2024 at 19:46 Quote
BikerSam5 wrote:
You're supposed to put the seat on before you ride it.

Posted: Mar 12, 2024 at 20:47 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
BikerSam5 wrote:
Have any of yall ride-wrapped your capras? if so, how much work was it?

This:

photo

Just cover the major areas and don't sweat the nooks and crannies. Way less expensive than Ride Wrap and also much simpler, but if you've never done it before, there will be bubbles. yup.

Been doing this for years! Sooo much cheaper than Ride-Wrap and it's held up just as good. If you have half a brain when cutting/sizing you'll be fine! Plus you can protect "custom" areas that ride-wrap doesn't include pieces for.
I keep a roll of this in the garage on the regular.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 at 4:50 Quote
code26 wrote:
parkmeister wrote:
BikerSam5 wrote:
Have any of yall ride-wrapped your capras? if so, how much work was it?

This:

photo

Just cover the major areas and don't sweat the nooks and crannies. Way less expensive than Ride Wrap and also much simpler, but if you've never done it before, there will be bubbles. yup.

Been doing this for years! Sooo much cheaper than Ride-Wrap and it's held up just as good. If you have half a brain when cutting/sizing you'll be fine! Plus you can protect "custom" areas that ride-wrap doesn't include pieces for.
I keep a roll of this in the garage on the regular.

Same same same.

Posted: Mar 13, 2024 at 10:29 Quote
I've also used clear vinyl and some fake carbon vinyl to cover major spots on bikes. But overall im not too worried about it. Bike was built to be ridden ... shit happens.

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 7:46 Quote
Uncaged 11 priced down to $3,49 was too good to pass up. I must have snagged one of the last XLs in stock cuz only XXL are still available.

Looking forward to see how this rides compared to my AL LTD edition 27.5!

Posted: Apr 8, 2024 at 10:46 Quote
Has anyone mulleted the current gen Capra 29er?

I have a Core 3 and would like to make the back end feel a bit shorter and more agile. Sounds like YT don't/won't sell the actual MX rear triangle, but is there any reason I can't just buy a new rear wheel and slide it on? Do I need to buy a new cassette and brake disc etc too? Will the bb height be too low, even in the high position? Sorry, kinda clueless as to what too low may be.

Edit: also, any ad/disadvantages to mulleting the 29er compared to the ‘native’ MX?

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2024 at 20:04 Quote
Dumb question: when is it time to replace your frame bearings? I’ve been disassembling and deep cleaning my Capra frame every year and also checking for linkage play with the shock removed each time. There’s never any play or misalignment whatsoever. Being in the desert, I assumed I just got lucky by living in bearing heaven but now it’s almost been 5 years. I’m going to change bearings as soon as I understand what exact tools/presses/punchers I need (any advice?), but I also would like to know how to tell if bearings are getting bad in general. Any bearing damage in the past just appears as “seized” so I’ve never had a reason to judge my bearings

Posted: Apr 11, 2024 at 20:36 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Dumb question: when is it time to replace your frame bearings? I’ve been disassembling and deep cleaning my Capra frame every year and also checking for linkage play with the shock removed each time. There’s never any play or misalignment whatsoever. Being in the desert, I assumed I just got lucky by living in bearing heaven but now it’s almost been 5 years. I’m going to change bearings as soon as I understand what exact tools/presses/punchers I need (any advice?), but I also would like to know how to tell if bearings are getting bad in general. Any bearing damage in the past just appears as “seized” so I’ve never had a reason to judge my bearings
Well, the best way to check them is to completely disassemble the rear end and stick your finger in them and rotate back and forth. If it feels rough or loose, then it's time for new bearings.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 8:06 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:

You can generally tell if bearings are shot without even taking anything apart. Set the bike on a level surface and try to shift the rear triangle side to side in opposition to the front triangle. Then go front to back, together and apart. You're looking for zero motion between the two triangles - they should feel like one, solid component without any space between them. If you have some play then you have to isolate which bearings need attention by moving your hands to either side of the individual pivots to figure out where the failure is occurring. Keep in mind that the wheels also have bearings so you have to rule out the wheel by itself.

If you think you may have a bearing to replace then start disassembly near the suspected area and continue looking for side to side, front to back play. I would put the bike in a stand and remove the wheels first. Then I'd pull out the shock and check the shock mount bearings next. Work your way to the frame pivots, test for ease of rotation or side to side action that shouldn't exist. When you actually have a bearing exposed then it's usually easy to tell if it's shot: it may have a little play between the inner and outer races in side to side motion. Of course, if the bearings have gotten contaminated with grit/sand or lost all grease or if you feel any grinding/rumbling when rotating them then replace as well.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 8:52 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Dumb question...

Off Topic - I'm a big fan of your profile pic with the old Spesh Enduro and Yota Van. I had 3 consecutive Yota Vans spanning my 20's. I love those things.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020264
Mobile Version of Website