pinkbike going to the dogs?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
pinkbike going to the dogs?
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 17:14 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
chomers wrote:
I agree with the first part a lot, I see lot's of people judge you from what they see in your profile. Just the other day, I was told "WHAT DO YOU KNOW, YOUR ONLY 15 !!!!", I really don't see what my age had to do with my opinion. We're all here for the same reason, we shouldn't be lipping and flaming each other.

Chom,
It’s not necessarily that their not credible its just what is listed on the profile page, if you don’t look deeper gives people a lot of clues about what you know. There are a lot of assumptions made but nonetheless, a lot of these assumptions made by a person are accurate. When 12-15 year olds start telling older users to buy this particular DH rig or this particular high performance part over that high performance part and don’t back it up, it gets frustrating. In addition to that, 98% of these users recommending something base what they know off of hearsay rather than actually having saddle time with that specific product. I just find it odd when young users offer “advice” to another user that is 18 on buying a $5000+ bike. It simply isn’t very credible and since they haven’t spent time on the product, they have no idea what they are talking about and you get answers like “buy the IH Sunday over the Glory because Sam Hill rides a Sunday and he wins all the races.” Thanks a lot captain obvious but with answers like that, you make yourself look like a tool. If you don’t know about a product and have not spent an adequate amount of time on a component or bike, just READ and don’t post. If you post and are not knowledgeable, all you do is create work for moderators as we have to filter the thread to get it back on topic, warn all the flamers calling each other a dumb ass, tool, grom, etc. or in the worst case scenario lock and reject the thread. Therefore, it is better if you just look rather than putting in your two cents. Furthermore, it is easy for another member to see what bike you ride as your pride and joy is often in your photo section. If you ride an entry level hardtail and are telling a person to buy a high-end DH bike, I would definitely question your intellectual ability about bikes!

Ahaha! Spot on there!

Ive basically learnt all my mechanics about the bike myself and all the work i do is by myself or with my mate. Some people don't take me seriously when i offer advice, because of what i believe is my age causing a problem. However there will no doubt few more knowledgable youngies out there. Everything i base my opinion on is personal use, Hey im even considering buying manitou forks!

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
chomers wrote:
I agree with the first part a lot, I see lot's of people judge you from what they see in your profile. Just the other day, I was told "WHAT DO YOU KNOW, YOUR ONLY 15 !!!!", I really don't see what my age had to do with my opinion. We're all here for the same reason, we shouldn't be lipping and flaming each other.

Chom,
It’s not necessarily that their not credible its just what is listed on the profile page, if you don’t look deeper gives people a lot of clues about what you know. There are a lot of assumptions made but nonetheless, a lot of these assumptions made by a person are accurate. When 12-15 year olds start telling older users to buy this particular DH rig or this particular high performance part over that high performance part and don’t back it up, it gets frustrating. In addition to that, 98% of these users recommending something base what they know off of hearsay rather than actually having saddle time with that specific product. I just find it odd when young users offer “advice” to another user that is 18 on buying a $5000+ bike. It simply isn’t very credible and since they haven’t spent time on the product, they have no idea what they are talking about and you get answers like “buy the IH Sunday over the Glory because Sam Hill rides a Sunday and he wins all the races.” Thanks a lot captain obvious but with answers like that, you make yourself look like a tool. If you don’t know about a product and have not spent an adequate amount of time on a component or bike, just READ and don’t post. If you post and are not knowledgeable, all you do is create work for moderators as we have to filter the thread to get it back on topic, warn all the flamers calling each other a dumb ass, tool, grom, etc. or in the worst case scenario lock and reject the thread. Therefore, it is better if you just look rather than putting in your two cents. Furthermore, it is easy for another member to see what bike you ride as your pride and joy is often in your photo section. If you ride an entry level hardtail and are telling a person to buy a high-end DH bike, I would definitely question your intellectual ability about bikes!

I definetly agree with what your are saying, but there are a few younger kids who know a lot too though, I just don't think just because you say something that someone else doesn't agree with your age should be brought into it. All I said to get someone to say that to me was, "Hayes Nine's arn't that bad of brakes, I've rode them and I've had no problems with them, and they are comparable to my Juicy's." I admit that I am no genius with bikes, but I do know a lot about them and how they work and such. I do agree that the younger kids shouldn't nescasarrly be telling the older kids what bike/parts to get, unless they've actully tried and ridden, and know the product that was brough up. That's just my opinion though...

Chom,

Mod
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
chomers wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
chomers wrote:

Chom,

I definetly agree with what your are saying, but there are a few younger kids who know a lot too though, I just don't think just because you say something that someone else doesn't agree with your age should be brought into it. All I said to get someone to say that to me was, "Hayes Nine's arn't that bad of brakes, I've rode them and I've had no problems with them, and they are comparable to my Juicy's." I admit that I am no genius with bikes, but I do know a lot about them and how they work and such. I do agree that the younger kids shouldn't nescasarrly be telling the older kids what bike/parts to get, unless they've actully tried and ridden, and know the product that was brough up. That's just my opinion though...

Chom,

and some old guys know nothing. You have to take anything on this site with a grain of salt. (BTW I've run both nines and juicy 7's. I like the feel of Hayes anyday over my AVids.)

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
I'm sure you've already heard it from your parents enough, But it is true that with age comes wisdom. Only because of more years of experiance, you take a 30 yr old who has been riding bikes since they were sixteen, they have probably rode like 10 different bikes for full seasons with every part out there. And then compare that to a 16 yr old kid who has had maybe 2 half decent bikes, who are you going to trust?

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 2:41 Quote
KtownKilla wrote:
I'm sure you've already heard it from your parents enough, But it is true that with age comes wisdom. Only because of more years of experiance, you take a 30 yr old who has been riding bikes since they were sixteen, they have probably rode like 10 different bikes for full seasons with every part out there. And then compare that to a 16 yr old kid who has had maybe 2 half decent bikes, who are you going to trust?

Just because you have ridden them for years doesn't mean you know how to fit/maintain them. You could be awful at riding even after like 10 years of riding and your opinion would still be wank, however apparently it would be far more valued. I agree if you mean product reviews in a way but not talking about the mechanics.

At the end of the day its what the person sees in the comment/review. If someone comes out with a thing like "theyre crap" then obviously you disregard that for having no reason or any evidence to back it up. (Usually its the kids around my age or younger who come out with senseless comments only because their mate has that product and they want to make their bike look better by slating theirs (usually the way it seems to go))

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 3:17 Quote
big bash festThumbs Down

thread need to die tup

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 5:17 Quote
spanky33 wrote:
this may only be my personal opinon but from what ive seen lately pinkbike is getting a lot worse, ive acctulley stopped checking it lately cause of it, the people that use this site are all either really mean, some are dumb, and some are just plane a$$e$, the advice i read people giving on here is getting worse, it seems almost like no one knows what there talking about anymore. do the users of this site even ride bikes? seriously. read the POD and VOD comments, but seriously what has happend to this site?

i get where ur coming from...but its just that the poeple that are better than others like to critisize others are not that skillfull or experienced as they are...it really suck but i dont let that shit bother me, EVERYDAY I LEARN SOMETHING NEW ON PINKBIKE AND I AM GREATFUL...everyone didnt start out knowing everything about bikes...there was a point in time that Dave Mirra couldnt wheelie and now look where he is

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
This is kind of funny but off topic.

I just saw this thread after I posted my input on another worthless thread...Ironic?

CLICK HERE

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 7:41 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
It’s not necessarily that their not credible its just what is listed on the profile page,................. If you ride an entry level hardtail and are telling a person to buy a high-end DH bike, I would definitely question your intellectual ability about bikes!

This is very key.

This is exactly why I hate/enjoy coming to this site. I do more reading than posting because of its hilarious content on how some are so feeble-minded. More kids need to get out and ride rather than talk sh*t on the interent.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
people can have a shit bike but still do there homework about them, its impossible to ride every bike available

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 8:03 Quote
Specialeded wrote:

This is exactly why I hate/enjoy coming to this site. I do more reading than posting because of its hilarious content on how some are so feeble-minded. More kids need to get out and ride rather than talk sh*t on the interent.

I feel exactly the same way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011327
Mobile Version of Website