2012 Knolly Chilcotin - 1 by conversion

PB Forum :: Knolly
2012 Knolly Chilcotin - 1 by conversion
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 8:13 Quote
Hey there,

I want to add a dropper (9point8 pulse) to my bike. Along with this i want to free up the bar and dump my front mech. I am currently running a Sram XO 10spd (non-clutch) driveline with a hammerschimdt that works perfectly.

I would like to upgrade the rear der to 10 spd XO (type 2) with an 42t extender and 30t front ring. Considering the bikes long travel (6.3in) i am concerned about chain drop on the front (without a guide) and overall drive line and shifting issues.

I'm wondering if any other Chilcotin owners out there might have made the switch and could offer up some advice or feedback!

Appreciate any comments, Garry

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 14:50 Quote
I have a 1x on my Chilcotin and 30T will work fine.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2014 at 17:35 Quote
I've got a 1x on my Chili as well - 42T oneup, XT derailluer long cage and chromag 32T chainring. She works fine, though I have a chainguide.

Is there a reason why you don't want to run a guide?

Also, have you checked this out?
http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-963/bionicon-chain-guide-v.02/?h=10+50002+50012+50142&f=10+50002+50147

You should be able to find something similar at your LBS. Seems like a good and cheap alternative.

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
mickmart wrote:
I've got a 1x on my Chili as well - 42T oneup, XT derailluer long cage and chromag 32T chainring. She works fine, though I have a chainguide.

Is there a reason why you don't want to run a guide?.

Thx for the feedback so far. No reason other then to keep things simple. I am not opposed to a guide but would for go it if possible.

Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 3:19 Quote
I run 32T front ring. It's one of those narrow wide rings and have not dropped a chain!

It's pretty amazing because before I had 2 rings up front and even with a chain guide I did drop chains every now and then.

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 8:13 Quote
Just make sure you get a narrow wide chainring and you are sorted.

There are loads around, cheapest at the moment seem to be by XKM Chainring but RaceFace is really cheap too if you can find a deal. Big list here: http://www.ridemorebikes.com/single-chainring-1x-drivetrain-guide/

If you find you're still dropping chains you can just get a front derailleur mount top guide.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 22:01 Quote
I am not currently running a 1x10 on my Chili but ran that set up on my last bike. I used a RaceFace Narrow Wide 32 tooth. I had a rear mech with a clutch already but that is the only thing I would recommend if you don't want to run a chain guide.

As for future plans, I want to get a 30t or 32t E13 chainring and a 42t extender. drop my 17t ring and call it good. It really is a cheaper and much lighter set up.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011216
Mobile Version of Website