32t chainring?

PB Forum :: Downhill
32t chainring?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 4:00 Quote
Hi any thoughts on running a 32t chainring on a downhill bike and if so would I need to change the chain length?

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 12:00 Quote
I would go 36 t for dh. Depending on what chainring u run right now u may need to add links

Editor O+ FL
Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
You can certainly run a 32t chainring on a downhill bike, although you won't have quite the same top speed before you spin out as you would with a 36 or 38 tooth ring, the most common sizes on DH bikes. The terrain you typically ride on will determine whether or not you'll miss those extra teeth - on really steep, technical tracks it will hardly be noticeable, but on wide open, fire road or ski slope type sections you may find yourself wishing you could throw in a few pedal strokes to gain additional speed. The question about shortening your chain will depend on the size of the ring you're currently running. To figure it out, once you have the new ring installed, shift down to your hardest gear in the rear and look at the rear derailleur cage. If the chain is sagging, or if the chain on the upper pulley is touching the chain on the cassette then you'll need to take out a link. If you're running a chainguide, you'll also want to lower the upper guide, and raise the lower roller as well. Many chainguides be adjusted down to accommodate a 32 tooth ring, but it is possible that you may need to purchase a different guide if this isn't the case.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 11:28 Quote
Thanks for the advice I've decided to stick with a 36t just replaced the zee 36t ring with a raceface one

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010189
Mobile Version of Website