Avid Elixir 1 vs Shimano SLX

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Avid Elixir 1 vs Shimano SLX
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 8:38 Quote
I have a dirt jumper that I've been converting to a more trialsy and street friendly bike (lower gear ratio, front brake, rigid fork etc.)

It currently has Avid Elixir 1s on it, but I have a set of Shimano SLX brakes on my cross country bike which doesn't get ridden as much.

Would you swap the Avids for the Shimanos? Why/why not?

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2014 at 18:45 Quote
Don't make a decision on what I say, but I will put my 2cents down for the heck of it;
Buddy of mine has avids on his trial bike and they lock up good! I would keep them on unless you notice the Shimanoes are significantly better but that's unlikely.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 6:17 Quote
I'm an avid guy all the way. Run the new guides on my Enduro and elixir 9 on my dirt jumper. But I'm just getting into trials my self and the zoo Python I just got came with a cable disc brake and I'm swapping it for an slx. As a mechanic in a bike shop I know elixir ones are pretty poo. Cheaper shimano brakes are pretty good value for money and plenty of power.

Posted: Mar 11, 2015 at 3:49 Quote
I run slx on my trials bike and they have more power than a set of avid elixir 5s

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 19:15 Quote
I agree with all these guys, their brakes can work well sometimes. Im a mechanic at a Specialized dealer and they specd a lot of their bikes with those. Ive never had to bleed so many brake sets ever Dead Horse !! If they stop well and arent super noisey like every other Elixer, run em Beer

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 9:46 Quote
SLX over Exiler 1s any day! SLX are miles ahead of them in terms of everything

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 12:07 Quote
avid all the way. I have it on my trials and AM bike

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 16:37 Quote
Elixirs are just really bad brakes, even a certain pro SRAM rider told me so

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.060270
Mobile Version of Website