Slow shifting rear mech

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Slow shifting rear mech
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 11:50 Quote
I've just installed a zee mech and new cassette and chain. It shifts up fine, pretty much instant shifting. Shifting back down though its really slow, the chain takes a while to jump to the smaller cog. What do i need to do to fix this?

I've also noticed the top race on my headseat isn't sat flush, its somehow come up a few mm. Does this need to be taken to a shop to fix or can it be down at home?

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 22:01 Quote
1. It sounds a bit like your rear cable tension is just too high. Run in the barrel adjusters if there is any room to do so. If not you'll need to undo the cable anchor and start over.

2. I would guess whatever is going on doesn't require any special tools, so you should be able to do it without the assistance of a bike shop. Without looking at it, all I can say is that I would start by removing the upper portion and checking for warping or any other damage.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 16:14 Quote
It sounds like your cable/housing is dirty and gunked up. Pull the housing from the stops and check to see if there is dirt/rust under the housing. You can drop a few drops of chain lube on the cable under the housing to help fix this. If that doesnt fix it, replace the cable and housing.

If your headset actually did come un-pressed from the frame (doubtful), you do need a special tool. I would take it to a shop to have them check it out.

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 12:07 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
1. It sounds a bit like your rear cable tension is just too high. Run in the barrel adjusters if there is any room to do so. If not you'll need to undo the cable anchor and start over.

2. I would guess whatever is going on doesn't require any special tools, so you should be able to do it without the assistance of a bike shop. Without looking at it, all I can say is that I would start by removing the upper portion and checking for warping or any other damage.

yes, x2 on 1. - try loosening the rear shift cable a bit.

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 11:23 Quote
Turning the barrel adjuster completely one way almost solved it, still really slow shifting to the smallest cog though. I'm guessing my only option now is to loosen the cable a bit? What's the best way to tell how tight to pull it? When i fitted it i just pulled it tight and clamped it down!

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 13:22 Quote
m4rc91 wrote:
Turning the barrel adjuster completely one way almost solved it, still really slow shifting to the smallest cog though. I'm guessing my only option now is to loosen the cable a bit? What's the best way to tell how tight to pull it? When i fitted it i just pulled it tight and clamped it down!
First check the top gear derailleur stop, try one turn counter clockwise, see if it shifts any better. If not, turn it back in then try loosening the cable clamp.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010085
Mobile Version of Website