Rebuilding vintage GT questions

PB Forum :: GT
Rebuilding vintage GT questions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 16:31 Quote
Thinking of stripping my GT Tequesta down for a custom build.

Since I've never even ripped a mountain bike apart before I just have a few questions.

I think its a 7 speed cassette which is apparently not a current type of drive....so can I just buy any front and rear gears/cassettes and shifters/derailleurs, slap it together and ride it? Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of? I prefer to do this myself rather than drop it at the LBS, so as to learn how to work on my own stuff.

Also, switching rims and converting to V-Brakes. I heard the stock wheels will get crushed by V-brakes so I want to upgrade them, I will need new levers for sure, but can I just attach a new lever piece temporarily in the one piece shifter/brake unit, or does the whole works need removed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HR

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 15:19 Quote
Huffy-Racer wrote:
Thinking of stripping my GT Tequesta down for a custom build.

Since I've never even ripped a mountain bike apart before I just have a few questions.

I think its a 7 speed cassette which is apparently not a current type of drive....so can I just buy any front and rear gears/cassettes and shifters/derailleurs, slap it together and ride it? Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of? I prefer to do this myself rather than drop it at the LBS, so as to learn how to work on my own stuff.

Also, switching rims and converting to V-Brakes. I heard the stock wheels will get crushed by V-brakes so I want to upgrade them, I will need new levers for sure, but can I just attach a new lever piece temporarily in the one piece shifter/brake unit, or does the whole works need removed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HR

keep it 7 speed, it was designed with 21 gears and that is how it will work best

oh and whoever told you about v brakes crushing the rims is talking pure bollocks

what condition are the current parts in? pictures of the bike would help a lot.... you are welcome to pm me if you need to pick my brains about old GT's Wink

sean

Posted: Feb 28, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
This is the closest topic I can get to my question.I have a GT RTS full sespention vintage. I had to get the cross bar that holds the rear shock cut and modified . The guy that did the work f***** it up I am looking for a new frame can any one help me find one please in Canada if possible

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 6:13 Quote
You had your rts frame cut? Why would you do that? ????

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014109
Mobile Version of Website