Specialized Enduro 650b Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized Enduro 650b Thread
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 9:59 Quote
Earlier this year I chose to save up and build a absolute dream build of a specialized enduro 650b. My frame is to arrive in mid-February and my components shoud be arriving soon.

Frame: S-Works enduro 650b frameset blue
Shock: Cane Creek cs inline
Fork: Rockshox pike 160 dual position white
Wheels: Stans ztr flow on hope pro 2 evo's
Brakes: Hope tech 3 e4 on 203 mm front and 183 back floating rotors
Groupset: Sram X01 black, xx1 chain
Crankset: Raceface sixc, cinch 32t ring
Seatpost: Specialized command post
Saddle: Specialized bg saddle
Pedals: Shimano trail xt, Shimano saint
Bottom bracket: Chris King PF30
Headset: Chris King Inset 7
Stem: Raceface Atlas 50mm
Handlebars: Raceface sixc
Headset spacers: Hope spacer set
Grips: Odi Ag-1
Tyres: Maxxis Highroller 2 and Ardent

I am wondering what you think of the kit and anything I should look out for! Thanks in advance!

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 0:51 Quote
That build is very close to my own dream build as I also hope to buy an s works enduro frame for my next bike. There's just a few things I would change

- pike would have to be black
- as a dream build I would love the enve rims with pro 2 but in reality I would end up with the stans
- I would probably go for either enve on rental lite bars
- brakes I would have XT

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 2:10 Quote
One thing you will want to know before you spend your hard earned money is the those Chris King components won't work.

The headtube on the enduro's (and stumpys like mine) are an integrated system. The bearing drops directly into the frame, whereas the CK Inset series is a press in cup style.

As for the bottom bracket, the cinch system, along with many other universal fit systems, has a longer spindle length. If you use a CK bb you will have big gaps on either side of the frame. That is why raceface's own bb for pf30 uses a sort of external cup, which would fill the gap of the longer spindle. The E13 cranks I have function on the same principle.

Everything else on the bike sounds cherry. Although I would say I like my specialized butcher/purgatory combo very well. I chose those because they were a little lighter than the HR2/Ardent combo, and I was able to get them for much less.

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 3:18 Quote
Sound like a solid build!

I guess the command post and shock comes with the frame? In that case I would go with them as well, no doubt. I just changed my command post with a reverb and I must say I like the reverb a lot better. That said, it is not that I dont like the command post, I was very happy with it (it broke on warranty and there is a 4 month delivery time, so I bought a new reverb and will be selling the command post when my replacement arrives), but direct compared, the reverb wins. Change it when it wears out :-)

For brakes I would go for Shimano saint brakes... I know they are ment for downhill, but I love them on my trail bike... So much power, so much quality! Never riden with Hopes though, so can't judge them :-)

How come you opted for a raceface crankset and not the sram one?

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 5:14 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
One thing you will want to know before you spend your hard earned money is the those Chris King components won't work.

The headtube on the enduro's (and stumpys like mine) are an integrated system. The bearing drops directly into the frame, whereas the CK Inset series is a press in cup style.

As for the bottom bracket, the cinch system, along with many other universal fit systems, has a longer spindle length. If you use a CK bb you will have big gaps on either side of the frame. That is why raceface's own bb for pf30 uses a sort of external cup, which would fill the gap of the longer spindle. The E13 cranks I have function on the same principle.

Everything else on the bike sounds cherry. Although I would say I like my specialized butcher/purgatory combo very well. I chose those because they were a little lighter than the HR2/Ardent combo, and I was able to get them for much less.

I didnt know about the headset, what headset would you recommend? As for the bottom bracket i got this ck spacer set http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lv/en/chris-king-press-fit-conversion-kit/rp-prod110642 i got nr.2. Thanks for the info!!

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 5:16 Quote
[Quote="J-McBride"]That build is very close to my own dream build as I also hope to buy an s works enduro frame for my next bike. There's just a few things I would change

- pike would have to be black
- as a dream build I would love the enve rims with pro 2 but in reality I would end up with the stans
- I would probably go for either enve on rental lite bars
- brakes I would have XT[/Quote
Thanks for the feedback but i wanted the white pike and the enve wheels but didnt have the money for the rims, as for the bars i wanted all raceface and as for the brakes the hopes seemed a better choice

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 5:25 Quote
seppe80 wrote:

I guess the command post and shock comes with the frame? In that case I would go with them as well, no doubt. I just changed my command post with a reverb and I must say I like the reverb a lot better. That said, it is not that I dont like the command post, I was very happy with it (it broke on warranty and there is a 4 month delivery time, so I bought a new reverb and will be selling the command post when my replacement arrives), but direct compared, the reverb wins. Change it when it wears out :-)

For brakes I would go for Shimano saint brakes... I know they are ment for downhill, but I love them on my trail bike... So much power, so much quality! Never riden with Hopes though, so can't judge them :-)

How come you opted for a raceface crankset and not the sram one?

Yeah it comes with the command post but i will probably be switching it for a reverb later, i didnt go for the saints because I wanted integrated clamps and i heard they are bitey, I'll report back on the hopes. As for the crankset i wanted the cinch system and i like raceface.
Thanks

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 5:42 Quote
TheSkult wrote:
seppe80 wrote:

Yeah it comes with the command post but i will probably be switching it for a reverb later, i didnt go for the saints because I wanted integrated clamps and i heard they are bitey, I'll report back on the hopes. As for the crankset i wanted the cinch system and i like raceface.
Thanks

Never saw the cinch system, it looks nice tbh.

The saints have good bite, but not as aggressive as some reviews says, imo at least... I run them with formula rotors from my old breaks, don't know if they will be much more bitey with ice-tech rotors... Time will tell :-)

You are looking to a hell of a 2015 with that build - I demoed the S-works 650b Enduro... Its a killer on the down hills, shreds like a DH bike, but much more playfull.

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 5:51 Quote
seppe80 wrote:
TheSkult wrote:
seppe80 wrote:

Thanks

The saints have good bite, but not as aggressive as some reviews says, imo at least... I run them with formula rotors from my old breaks, don't know if they will be much more bitey with ice-tech rotors... Time will tell :-)

You are looking to a hell of a 2015 with that build - I demoed the S-works 650b Enduro... Its a killer on the down hills, shreds like a DH bike, but much more playfull.

I was scared of by what I have heard about the amount of bite on them but i want to try the hope's, i have heard alot of good things about them. I am also looking forward to seeing what the floating rotors do to the brake performance, I'll report back on that. I havent demoed the 650b enduro but from what I have heard i am very happy, thanks for the good comments and I am looking forward to posting pictures of the build!

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 8:44 Quote
Light bicycle rims on DT240's. A quarter of the price of ENVE and lighter and stiffer than Stans flow.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 11:56 Quote
TheSkult wrote:
TwoWheelMike wrote:

I didnt know about the headset, what headset would you recommend? As for the bottom bracket i got this ck spacer set http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lv/en/chris-king-press-fit-conversion-kit/rp-prod110642 i got nr.2. Thanks for the info!!

The frame should come with a headset (mine did). With the bottom bracket, I'm not sure if I am missing something there, but they all look like that are conversions to reduce the bb to a smaller spindle. Raceface's cinch system is still a 30mm spindle.

TheSkult wrote:
seppe80 wrote:
TheSkult wrote:

Thanks

I was scared of by what I have heard about the amount of bite on them but i want to try the hope's, i have heard alot of good things about them. I am also looking forward to seeing what the floating rotors do to the brake performance, I'll report back on that. I havent demoed the 650b enduro but from what I have heard i am very happy, thanks for the good comments and I am looking forward to posting pictures of the build!

I can't say for the saints, but my xt m785 brakes were bitey. Most of the time it wasn't that bad, but they still came on strong and would surprise me when I started getting fatigued. Because of that I made the switch to the Hope Tech 3 E4. I haven't been on them long, but I'm glad I made the decision to change them out.

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 22:50 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
TheSkult wrote:
TwoWheelMike wrote:

The frame should come with a headset (mine did). With the bottom bracket, I'm not sure if I am missing something there, but they all look like that are conversions to reduce the bb to a smaller spindle. Raceface's cinch system is still a 30mm spindle.

TheSkult wrote:
seppe80 wrote:

I can't say for the saints, but my xt m785 brakes were bitey. Most of the time it wasn't that bad, but they still came on strong and would surprise me when I started getting fatigued. Because of that I made the switch to the Hope Tech 3 E4. I haven't been on them long, but I'm glad I made the decision to change them out.

Thanks for all the tips, ill deal with it when my stuff arives. Chain reaction has a great return policy

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 0:55 Quote
If you want to demo an enduro, specialized concept stores will let you demo the alu version for the weekend so you can take it to your local trails etc.
just depends how local the closest specialized store is to you. Luckily for me there is one 45mins away

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 11:56 Quote
I would go for the single position pike as iv heard bad things about the dual position and Idk about u but I don't rly know many people who actually lower their fork mid ride. Especially because lowering it significantly lowers the bb height which makes rocky climbs much more treacherous

And also u would run a slightly shorter stem (30mm - 40mm) and IMHO I don't think ck stuff are worth the price and perform as good if not worse than many of fsa or cc offerings and all they add is a bit of bling. But with the money you save on those u could put toward a pair of carbon rims
Just my 0.02

Posted: Dec 26, 2014 at 9:39 Quote
[Quote="J-McBride"]If you want to demo an enduro, specialized concept stores will let you demo the alu version for the weekend so you can take it to your local trails etc.
just depends how local the closest specialized store is to you. Luckily for me there is one 45mins away[/Quote
Funny, its great how over there where you live your local spesh dealer lets you demo. Mine doesent even demo the cheapest models, btw this is the first enduro they have sold, they only sel epics and stupjumper HT.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014548
Mobile Version of Website