Giant Reign 27.5 Advanced 2015

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 27.5 Advanced 2015
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 22:36 Quote
Hi Pinkbike!

Below is my drama story I would like to share.

It's been three weeks of painful waiting for !!!brand new Giant Reign Advanced 1 2015!!! to arrive to Giant Vancouver shop and finally after a few more bitter hours of waiting in Vancouver traffic I am home, enjoying the view of my new bike.

When the first wave of excitement subsides, I start fine-tune all the components for my needs and bang! I see ... a dent? what?? (I am very sensitive on that matter, say previous emotional trauma).

The next day unhappy and frustrated I go to the shop. The guy looks at the dent quite surprised...

"Oh, hold on, the demo Reigns we have were touching the carbon frame with the rear triangle exactly on that spot where the dent is, so that must be their work around the issue"

"-Eh?"

"Sorry man, you are the first owner of that model in Vancouver, so we haven't seen them before. We brought two Advanced 1 this time, let's go and open the box with the other bike"

We go and open the box, and... voila, exactly the same dent on the same spot! Awesome, eh? such a brilliant and simple solution... they must have used a hammer or a press... sick, isn't it?

Whatever, the guy says that the frame has a lifetime warranty and if the rear triangle ever bothers me they will change it.

Honestly, I am happy that I don't have to return the bike (we kinda became close these hours), and I believe in the brilliance of Giant engineers, they wouldn't release something flaky, would they?

The dent:
Giant Reign Advanced 1 - Factory Dent

-----

Now, after a couple of weeks since I bought the bike I can say: this bike is the best I have ever ridden in its class, especially in terms of descending. I already managed to mess the MRP chain guide, it was bent to the side. Giant folks fixed that problem in an hour the same day (warranty) =)

I read PB review on Reign 1, the author concluded that the fork - RS Pike Dual Position Air is not the best choice. I would not argue that, but at least I can say that I did not find this fork any worse (in terms of small/big bump compliance and the spring curve and anything else) than Fox 36 Float 2014 RLC FIT I used to have before(in great shape and serviced). 130mm mode is indeed too soft for a rough descending if pumped properly for 160mm, but I would not descend on 130mm anyways so it does not bother me at all.

The carbon frame feels quite different, way stiffer than aluminium. It gives more direct control on the bike, but feels rougher, you can feel the trail under the wheels.

Giant Reign Advanced 1 - in natural habitat:
Giant Reign Advanced 1 - In Natural Habitat
photo
Giant Reign Advanced 1 - In Natural Habitat

Posted: Jan 1, 2015 at 15:05 Quote
I can confirm that the dent is a work around. They had an issue with the rear triangle contacting the main frame on full bottom out. Due to them finding a solution to this problem, I've been waiting for my Advanced 1 for 4 months now.

Knowing Giant as a company, I'm sure they will have done necessary testing on the frame and wouldn't release it if it was unsafe.

Can't wait for mine to arrive, should be next week!

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
That is a really sweet bike which has a character, I'm sure you will be enjoying it.

Posted: Jan 7, 2015 at 19:59 Quote
got my reign advanced 4 days ago and have had 3 rides on it! thing is incredible

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 at 9:44 Quote
It is incredible for descending, as expected from the specs Smile but I would like to mention that this bike also is a pretty good climber.
Before that bike I had Reign X0 12 and Trance X1 13, I did not notice that Reign 15 was climbing any worse than Reign 12. I remember climbing on Trance was a little easier.

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 12:35 Quote
I've ordered mine and it should be here in March. Will look for a dent in the position as described; thanks for the heads up!
Congrats on the purchase! Can't wait for mine!

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 13:05 Quote
Awesome choice!
Congrats man!
Now go get it dirty....

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 17:20 Quote
got my reign 2 a month back and I argued on the rear triangle issue. I spoke with many reps and it is a work around to the advanced model having a longer shock stroke...in 2 months they will be releasing the updated version without the dents

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
So does that mean they will be recalling all older rear triangles and supplying the new version free of charge?

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 3:16 Quote
I picked up my Riegn 2 in August. I have the same dent. I'll be watching to see what the out come is here if anyone tries to grab a new triangle.

It's an awesome bike too!

Cheers

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2015 at 11:33 Quote
chrisde wrote:
got my reign 2 a month back and I argued on the rear triangle issue. I spoke with many reps and it is a work around to the advanced model having a longer shock stroke...in 2 months they will be releasing the updated version without the dents

Hello - Who did you speak with about this. The Giant rep I spoke with did not mentioned a new release to me. They said they didn't know anything about this issue at all - first they had heard of it.

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 12:10 Quote
lucky all of u that have your reign already mine is delayed!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 12:14 Quote
My Reign 2 is sitting at BTG shop in town waiting for spring. Today i noticed the dent on further inspection of my beast. If Giant does come out with a new rear triangle without a dent it would be nice if the first eager customers get a free replacement. Giant could easily afford it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.056622
Mobile Version of Website