2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 2:52 Quote
Has anyone got this years (2019) Reign SX?
Opinions of it, particularly what it’s like for pedalling especially with no lock out. Rode one around a car park today, but a car park and an incline trail are two different things.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
[Quote="cptmayhem"][Quote="bigboyroy007"]
cptmayhem wrote:
I'm running the DB Inline coil and I can quite easily say it's the best upgrade I've ever made on the bike.

Started with Monarch plus debonair. Didn't like the way......

So you convinced me, pulling the trigger on an inline coil today, going with a 450lb Vault spring (I weigh about 73kg/161lb). Does that seem ok? Also would I need to buy new hardware for the shock? Currently have whatever hardware came stock on the bike with the monarch.

Thanks again.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:10 Quote
[Quote="bigboyroy007"][Quote="cptmayhem"]
bigboyroy007 wrote:

So you convinced me, pulling the trigger on an inline coil today, going with a 450lb Vault spring (I weigh about 73kg/161lb). Does that seem ok? Also would I need to buy new hardware for the shock? Currently have whatever hardware came stock on the bike with the monarch.

Thanks again.

You need to get the 15mm "open end" version to fit the Reign, as far as I know.

450lb sounds about right. I'm running a 600lb at 110kg (kitted) and it's a bit soft.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
Camikaze wrote:
Opinions of it, particularly what it’s like for pedalling especially with no lock out. Rode one around a car park today, but a car park and an incline trail are two different things.

all vpp designs including the reign do not need lockouts, this is the whole point of them, or at east a key element.
if your spring rate is correct 25-30 sag, it will climb very well even without a lockout. I rarely switch from decend mode unless grinding out a 30 min plus climb.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:57 Quote
[Quote="cptmayhem"][Quote="bigboyroy007"]
cptmayhem wrote:

You need to get the 15mm "open end" version to fit the Reign, as far as I know.

450lb sounds about right. I'm running a 600lb at 110kg (kitted) and it's a bit soft.

I'm 71 kgs and run a Valt 450. My Reign is way better with the CC than with RS Monarch RC3, and more surprising better than TTX 22.
I bought the CC with full hardware and removed the lower bushing.
For the same price you'll have a spare bushing

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 9:47 Quote
Better than Ohlins??

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
[Quote="popeur"][Quote="cptmayhem"]
bigboyroy007 wrote:

I'm 71 kgs and run a Valt 450. My Reign is way better with the CC than with RS Monarch RC3, and more surprising better than TTX 22.
I bought the CC with full hardware and removed the lower bushing.
For the same price you'll have a spare bushing

Ah, I THOUGHT so. That's why the one I bought 2nd hand fits straight off the bat.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
Camikaze wrote:

all vpp designs including the reign do not need lockouts, this is the whole point of them, or at east a key element.
if your spring rate is correct 25-30 sag, it will climb very well even without a lockout. I rarely switch from decend mode unless grinding out a 30 min plus climb.

yes and no. Yes, cos iot's designed like that, but no because a shit shock is still a shit shock, so if you're running a bog standard monarch debonair or an early fox ctd, it'll be shit to climb due to the shortcomings of the shock.

the DVO is a good one.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 10:08 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Better than Ohlins??
I found the TTX overdamped. I had to use a 411 lbs Spring to feel the shock plush.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 16:14 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
Camikaze wrote:

yes and no. Yes, cos iot's designed like that, but no because a shit shock is still a shit shock.

DVO custom-tuned Jade coil, from the Giant site, hardly a 'shit shock'

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 23:38 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

yes and no. Yes, cos iot's designed like that, but no because a shit shock is still a shit shock.

Exactly my point. The Jade has an excellent damping circuit, and the pedalling platform of the shock is great even without the lockout. Same thing with my CCDB inline coil.

Put a bargain Monarch Debonair on it, or an early Fox CTD or DHX 5, and see the difference in pedaling performance. It's huge.

Also - the new new reign (2018 ) has a slightly different leverage curve, which makes it better when climbing.

Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 5:55 Quote
The 2015 -2017 Reigns do not perform well with coil springs, hi leverage values mean you have to use really heavy spring rates to combat bottoming out all the time. That means your small bump suffers terribly. There are already people who have mentioned it earlier in this thread.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 8:47 Quote
anyone tried a reduced offset fork on the reign?

Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 23:10 Quote
Schummy wrote:
The 2015 -2017 Reigns do not perform well with coil springs, hi leverage values mean you have to use really heavy spring rates to combat bottoming out all the time. That means your small bump suffers terribly. There are already people who have mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Both mine and my mates 2015 reigns are working flawlessly with a CCDB Inline coil at the right spring rates. Excellent small bump sensitivity and support. It's still a progressive leverage rate, so coils work. They just work *better* on the new one. Granted, we don't ride super hard and favour more technical terrain over large jumps and drops, but neither of us have any problems with bottoming out.

Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 23:21 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:

Exactly my point. The Jade has an excellent damping circuit, and the pedalling platform of the shock is great even without the lockout. Same thing with my CCDB inline coil.

Put a bargain Monarch Debonair on it, or an early Fox CTD or DHX 5, and see the difference in pedaling performance. It's huge.

Also - the new new reign (2018 ) has a slightly different leverage curve, which makes it better when climbing.

I have owned reigns since 2005, they are not very different over the years imo, sure geometry and all, but they all pedal amazingly well. air pressure or spring rate make all the difference in the world. I have a CTD on at the moment and it is fabulous.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016278
Mobile Version of Website