Insurance claim replacement bike...Hardcore hardtail?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Insurance claim replacement bike...Hardcore hardtail?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 1:51 Quote
Hi,
Bit of background first. I bought a Mondraker Tracker R last May without doing too much research really. It was a bargain because it was a 26 and I didn't realise 27.5 was kicking off so big. I hadn't done much riding and 120mm FS seemed ok to me. To be fair I have had great fun riding it around the North of Scotlands Trail centres and some natural riding but I couldn't help thinking perhaps I'd be better off with a touch more travel as I'm 5'11 and 100kg. Had lots of fun on it though and added a reverb and wider bars to make it feel a bit better.

Since I bought it my riding has improved loads.

So I had it stolen out of my garage the other day along with another bike. As I got it at a bargain price of £999 as I assume they were clearing old 26 stock to make way for 27.5, I expect I will only get that much back from the insurance, perhaps a little bit more for my extras.

My question now is what to do. It's unlikely I can get a FS that I would be happy with at the level I'm at now. I have been looking around and it looks like a 140mm hardtail might tick the boxes for travel up front and fun to ride and cope with the trail centre and natural riding I like.

These are my thoughts:

On One 45650b X9 version £999: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BX9/on-one-45650b-sram-x9-mountain-bike

Looks great with a good groupset and brakes and I could add a dropper if I scrape the extra together.

Commencal meta am essential £820-50?: http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14494994

Again, looks great, bigger fork and dropper post fitted, albeit a cheaper one but with ok reviews. Groupset and brakes not quite as good. Looks ace though.

Commencal also have the meta sx if I didn't mind staying on 26 inch wheels.

NS Bikes Eccentric £1099: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns-bikes-eccentric-bike-2014/rp-prod108928?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CK_IqOasrMMCFTDMtAods0oA-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a NS Metropolis 2 jump bike and I love it. This has a good spec and again I can save and add a dropper.

What are all your opinions and I'd love to hear from anyone who has owned any of these and any comparisons from people who have ridden full suspension and these. Any other suggestions are welcome too. It has to be £1000 give or take a few quid as its insurance, and a complete build from a company.

Thanks everyone.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 2:12 Quote
Anyone any help?

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 2:18 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
Anyone any help?

The NS Eccentric gets big love on here.
For the way it looks and the way it handles.
NS Eccentric.
No Arguements Big Grin

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 2:28 Quote
I do love how the ns looks. The on one seems a slightly better spec for the money though. I would love to hear from anyone who has a full suspension trail bike and a long travel ht and their opinion on the rides.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 2:42 Quote
Well I see you are based in Britain Toby.
Can't fault On One bikes at all,and it would be easy to pop down to On One to demo one.

Tange chromoly for the NS,and DN6 chromoly for the On One,which is best,which is lighter ?
Not sure.I know Tange has been a good maker of cycle tubing for years.
Both come with a 140 or 150 shock,so plenty travel.
It might all come down to what pleases the eye more Smile

Not much between them

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 2:50 Quote
on one with x9 clutch mech & cranks, sram guide r brakes, prob best value.
meta has great frame & fork & dropper but prob upgrade the brakes cranks & get a clutch mech to keep the chain on.
ns prob nicest frame decent fork but rest of the spec pretty average.
45650b is a great base build - saddle is ugly but most people swap to their preferred saddle usually anyhow.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 4:19 Quote
ade that's pretty much what I was thinking.

One thing that bothers me a little is the on one frame appears to have the derailleur hanger as an integral part of it, what happens if, as has happened to me, you whack it and it breaks? New frame?

At least the NS and Commencal have replacable ones. I had dramas getting one for my mondraker when that broke, only one place in the uk does them.

Sheffield or Barnsley is quite a drive from up near Inverness.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 4:26 Quote
toby9843 wrote:

Yeah,I can see your problem there Big Grin

I say,go for the Eccentric.
Parts can be upgraded at your leisure

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 4:27 Quote
It is a mint looking frame to be fair. I reckon I might be able to squeeze enough to get a reverb at the same time. That would be everything I need to be honest.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 9:04 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
ade that's pretty much what I was thinking.

One thing that bothers me a little is the on one frame appears to have the derailleur hanger as an integral part of it, what happens if, as has happened to me, you whack it and it breaks? New frame?

At least the NS and Commencal have replacable ones. I had dramas getting one for my mondraker when that broke, only one place in the uk does them.

broke on a steel or alu frame? thought they just bent on steel? mate had the most crazy bent hanger on a 456evo, took it to a good bike mechanic & had it repositioned.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 9:09 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
toby9843 wrote:

spec is pretty shit on the ns. youd be better of buying the on one & upgrade to an ns frame on sale from crc & flogging the 45650b frame for say 150 sterling. bang full x9 upgrade with sram guide brakes at the cost of around £150. if you aint too handy with a wrench this not really an option i understand.
p.s you can get direct mount narrow wide chainrings for the x9 cranks - superlight & super steezy Cool

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 10:06 Quote
That's something I hadn't thought of, good idea. I could get the on one and see how I like with the option later to buy the ns frame and just take everything off the on one and put it on that. Good thinking. And I might love the on one and then it's job done and all I need is a single ring up front and an extender on the back over the next few months.
Good thinking as I do love that ns frame.
In fact that opens up a ton of options in the future, Stanton, bird, cotic, 456 ego carbon, chromag stylus and the list goes on.
Think we have a winner.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 10:08 Quote
Evo not ego. Lol
That even opens up the 140mm full sus bracket when I have more cash if I wanna do that. I could get a frame and shock and I'm there.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
One question though. I saw on another forum something about the rear axle size being 10mm on the on one frame and people seemed to wish it was 12mm. I'm not completely clued in on the specifics of axle sizes so could someone tell me is that gonna be a problem in the future if I wanted to take everything off the 45650b frame and put it all on something else, ns eccentric for instance. Are there adapters and stuff or would I need a new hub or wheel?

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
toby9843 wrote:

spec is pretty shit on the ns. youd be better of buying the on one & upgrade to an ns frame on sale from crc & flogging the 45650b frame for say 150 sterling. bang full x9 upgrade with sram guide brakes at the cost of around £150. if you aint too handy with a wrench this not really an option i understand.
p.s you can get direct mount narrow wide chainrings for the x9 cranks - superlight & super steezy Cool

Why go to all that trouble of buying a bike to get the spec,only to take it off, then shell out for another frame and transfer it.In the hope that you sell your "old" frame for a good price.
I know I wouldn't have the time to do that,nor the patience.
Does the Op ?.More power to him if he does.

Would it not be easier just to upgrade as you go along.?
I'm pretty sure the spec will not fall to pieces in a short period of time

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.182868
Mobile Version of Website