Hope Brakes, what to do next?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hope Brakes, what to do next?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
Hi Guys,

I had braided hoses put on by hope a couple of weeks ago. Received the brakes back, extremely happy no problems at all. First ride on the bike since the new hoses and 30 seconds into my run I lost all brakes and crashed. Upon closer inspection the connection of the hose to the rear caliber had came loose and the fluid had leaked out. The crash left me with a few cuts and bruises but the main issue is that my Intense Socom now has a 2 inch dent in the rear triangle.

I emailed hope and they denied it being their fault saying that theres no way it could have been them. They blamed it on the bike being knocked in transit by other bikes but it was in the car on its own then they blamed twigs and stones coming up and hitting the connection making it loose? After 30 seconds of riding? I don't think so.

Has anybody experienced this before and does anybody have any advice on what I should do next. Im fighting a losing battle with hope and now my frame is seriously damaged, luckily i wasn't seriously injured.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:17 Quote
I doubt you've got much of a leg to stand on to be honest, hope should of been more helpful for sure though.

Maybe you should call them up so you have a more personal interaction, unlikely you'll be getting much from them.

Get in touch with intense aswell, if you have crash warranty that should save you a lot for repairs.

EDIT: Just curious how you didn't notice this leak before riding the brakes? Surely you would of done some test runs on them or noticed fluid leaking out before you installed it?

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:30 Quote
How about the other brake, was that still working after the crash.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 6:17 Quote
SilverbackGorilla wrote:
I doubt you've got much of a leg to stand on to be honest, hope should of been more helpful for sure though.

Maybe you should call them up so you have a more personal interaction, unlikely you'll be getting much from them.

Get in touch with intense aswell, if you have crash warranty that should save you a lot for repairs.

EDIT: Just curious how you didn't notice this leak before riding the brakes? Surely you would of done some test runs on them or noticed fluid leaking out before you installed it?

I re-fitted the brakes, did the usual ride around the car park and they seemed fine. Admittadly I didn't check the connections as I had full faith in hope having already done this. Before the crash there was no obvious leak, fitting it there was no leak, it didn't happen during the crash either as I crashed because of having no brake so the problem had already occurred.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 6:17 Quote
richard01 wrote:
How about the other brake, was that still working after the crash.

Yes my front brake was fine, only the rear i encountered a problem with

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 8:15 Quote
Shiiiiate!

I have hopes on my Intense, maybe i should pray/hope/praythey don't fail haha

Seriously though these Co.s are so difficult to get close to admitting liability as theyre prettymuch protected all the way!

Thats even if it were Hope at fault in the first place.

Dodgy seal?

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 13:01 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Shiiiiate!

I have hopes on my Intense, maybe i should pray/hope/praythey don't fail haha

Seriously though these Co.s are so difficult to get close to admitting liability as theyre prettymuch protected all the way!

Thats even if it were Hope at fault in the first place.

Dodgy seal?

I'd be more than happy to admit if it was my fault. The brake came out of the packaging from hope, sat around for a few days in the box, I fitted it to the bike friday, tested it and was happy then rode for 30 seconds on the Sunday before it stopped working. 30 seconds on the bike was all it took before it stopped working.

I don't think it was a seal as the connection was super loose, it wasn't still tight and had leaked it was swinging around the caliper. Extremely frustrated, it was during practice of the aston hill black run race so I couldn't properly race throughout the day and wasted £30 to enter.

I've always rated hope, maybe not anymore?

Posted: May 5, 2015 at 0:05 Quote
To be honest, shit happens, hope workers are only human, I agree it should have been checked properly, I also think you should've checked aswell, sometimes when refitting brakes the hoses can twist to the point of them unscrewing themselves, happened to mine with braided hoses, I put them on then retightened the hoses, been fine since

Posted: May 8, 2015 at 23:22 Quote
Sorry pal, I'm in the you should have double checked when you installed them camp. It's a 2 sec job.
Iv also had problems with my e4 braided hoses loosening on a ride and having no brake . Have to get any twist 100% out or they will work there way loose eventually no matter how tight you get them.
Awesome brakes

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 14:39 Quote
It's a two second job that hope could have and should have done. Do you have work done on your car and then re-do it yourself Incase something was missed? I don't think so

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 22:38 Quote
If I install anything yes I double check everything.
Taking car to garage and getting them to do it no I don't. Because they would have double checked it.
Hope can't align the brake hoses at the factory because they go on different bikes so will fit differently. It's up to the installer to get them right.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010067
Mobile Version of Website