Help me build my bike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Help me build my bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2015 at 15:21 Quote
So it's been 7-8 years since I've been active on these forums and almost the same amount of time since I sold my bike and stopped riding. I'm now looking to pick it up again, but I'm faced with the issue of being a newbie all over again. I used to ride a 24" rigid park bike, however I'm looking to get into freeriding / light DH.

I would appreciate the help and expertise of the PB community. If all goes to plan, I'll post semi-regular updates on here with progress and new parts based on the recommendation of anyone who posts on here. (Of course I could get no replies).

The best place to start is probably the frame and suspension?

What I'll be riding:
Mostly gravity assisted
Small - medium size drops
Small - medium size gaps / jump
Fast downhill / fun trails

What I'm looking for:
A light / nimble bike that I could flick around a bit
Something that can take a beating
Dual suspension
Probably around 150-180mm travel

Budget - around £2500 (~$4000) for the complete bike

So far the only bike that has really stuck out for me is the NS Soda. I appreciate there may be a few similar threads but it's difficult finding someone with exactly the same requirements!

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 13:52 Quote
transition bottle rocket, dartmoor wish, soda free ride, specialized status, sx trail or bighit

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 15:29 Quote
With that kind of budget you can get quite a bit of bike if you're willing to buy something lightly used.

There's some good suggestions posted above, but the bottle rocket is history lol. I would have a serious look for a transition tr250 tho, they're nice rides. Imo specialized rides are nice, I currentky ride a demo and I love it, the status is a nice bike as well, as is the sx trail.

If you're interested in buying a used ride, my suggestion would be to go to the buy and sell section and see what's available in your price range and the style you're looking for. After you see what's available go to the Google machine and check out reviews.

Posted: Apr 26, 2015 at 12:31 Quote
mikestewart wrote:
With that kind of budget you can get quite a bit of bike if you're willing to buy something lightly used.

There's some good suggestions posted above, but the bottle rocket is history lol. I would have a serious look for a transition tr250 tho, they're nice rides. Imo specialized rides are nice, I currentky ride a demo and I love it, the status is a nice bike as well, as is the sx trail.

If you're interested in buying a used ride, my suggestion would be to go to the buy and sell section and see what's available in your price range and the style you're looking for. After you see what's available go to the Google machine and check out reviews.

Thanks Mike. I've considered used bikes - perhaps that's what I will end up going for as I would save a lot of money. I had originally planned to make it a project for myself, however as I've been out of riding for so long I would probably struggle to know what to buy (with all the new sizing standards).

I've had a look at the TR250 and I believe it has now been discontinued. The Patrol does look very nice though. I'm still leaning towards the NS Soda. A demo would probably be too much travel - at the end of the day the UK is relatively flat and there aren't lots and lots of downhill spots near me, so I would need something that can pedal a bit (however reluctant I am).

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2015 at 15:10 Quote
The Scott Voltage FR is a great bike for the type if riding you will be doing. As mentioned before, the buy/sell is a great place to get one. You can buy it as a frame and build it up for a little more than half your budget.

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 18:15 Quote
The new 2015 Scott Voltage FR is a little over 4000 but that all youll ever need, there is ever a dialed down version for around 2200, but if your in the budget for a used bike Transition Bottle-rockets are sweet, Specialized sx-trail/ Status, but Ns bikes are big in the UK, id take a look in to that.

Posted: Jul 24, 2015 at 12:58 Quote
i really like the bottle rockets. im also a fan of the cove g-spot. there are also a few nice demos maybe a demo 7. do you want coil or air for rear.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011129
Mobile Version of Website