9sp rings on an Sram 10x rear

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
9sp rings on an Sram 10x rear
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2015 at 11:41 Quote
Ok, ordered my daughter a nice brand new old stock 2014 Norco Charger, comes with FSA Gamma Drive crank set and Sram x5 10x rear setup. Bike arrives later this week.

When I researched the crank set I found it has some pretty heavy steel rings on it, I plan to toss the big ring and put on a bash I have lying around, but then I started thinking, can I put on these nice alloy 9sp rings I also have lying around?

The Bash and rings are from this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/race-face-respond-double-chainset/rp-prod45218

Anyone know? I plan to ask at the bike shop too, but I am at work and figured I could ask here as well Smile

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
I think it's safe to assume you're referring to the chainrings in which case it'll be fine as chainrings don't care how many cogs are on the rear cassette.

Alternatively, you could also go 1x at the and lose the front derailleur all together.

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 at 9:43 Quote
vvazz0 wrote:
I think it's safe to assume you're referring to the chainrings in which case it'll be fine as chainrings don't care how many cogs are on the rear cassette.

Alternatively, you could also go 1x at the and lose the front derailleur all together.

Its for a little kid, she needs to have the granny so going 10x1 like I use on my bike would not do, not enough leg strength. She needs to stay 10x2 for now. Maybe one day I will drop the 17cog and pop in a 42 for her and go 10x1 then but not yet.

Also it did matter, the shift ramps on the chain rings were not able to pick up the narrow 10sp chain properly when shifting from granny to mid ring. Big ring tossed and bash guard in use.

It took two clicks on the front shifter to get from granny to mid ring

One click to go down to granny and two to go back, was the only issue.

Not worth it, I put the steel rings back on. Works fine.

Thanx for reply tho Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009209
Mobile Version of Website