2016 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2016 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jun 11, 2015 at 22:45 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
Medium or large Alaska?

It be a L'ARRge me matey.

Posted: Jun 11, 2015 at 22:57 Quote
Thanks man, simply curiosity. I saw Brad Benedict is riding a large and he's 6'2"

FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 12:14 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
Internetbiker wrote:
Here is my alloy 650b comp, shame they don't do the XL in carbon as I would have had one of them, but still very happy with this!
photo

They do make an xl in carbon.... It's already on the spec site and a local built one up already. Nice bike regardless.

Just seen they have added it to the site now! When I ordered this the XL 650b was not on the specialized site and I even got my LBS to check with the distributor, pretty disappointed now with specialized Cry I wanted the carbon one....

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 13:02 Quote
I wouldn't be disappointed you still have a badass bike. I would check and see if your lbs will help you out in anyway.

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 16:57 Quote
AlaskaMechanic wrote:

The hub is dt internals but is not a star ratchet system. Same ole 3 pawl system.

Ah, that sucks, I thought they stepped up to the Roval straight pull hubs with star ratchet on the Experts...

I hear ya on the matte schemes and grease!

My Carbon Tint isn't that bad but it does have weird swirl marks in the clearcoat in several places. Not like in care much though.

And well, just to update my own questions here with some answers for reference:

I just spoke with SBC warranty tech support, and there is NO available plug for the open internal frame port left vacant when running 1X (although a different bottom bolt-on cable exit panel is included with the new bikes)

There is also NO available plug for the open holes left in the swat door when running no bottle cage.

And also the only current way to source a Taco Blade Spacer for the pivot is to purchase the entire new Taco Blade kit for like $40 retail. Or he just said take measurements and go to a hardware store, lol, janky.

So damn. DIY setup time.
Guess the engineering team was too busy adding features, rather than considering those who like to simplify and reduce pieces. Can't fulfill everyone's desires though.

Also just got my Slaughter from LBS today. Just got home and getting ready to mount it!
(Also just realized that Specialized seemingly no longer produces S-works version tires anymore, pretty much just Control and Grid versions...)

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 17:00 Quote
Slaughter wasn't very good for me locally. Struggled to climb on anything loose. Railed everything else though.

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 17:14 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
Slaughter wasn't very good for me locally. Struggled to climb on anything loose. Railed everything else though.

I can see that, makes sense. Might pack up a bit when tacky too, but we shall see. Thanks for the input.
One of my favorite old tires on my 26ers was the Maxxis Bling Bling and slightly more recently the BBG, so this looks like a near identical modern rendition.

I will leave my Purgatory mounted on the stock Roval rear wheel also so I can always quickly swap at a trailhead if I bring it with me and feel the need.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 5:41 Quote
AlaskaMechanic wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
Medium or large Alaska?

It be a L'ARRge me matey.

Common Alaska, stop teasing us and get some pics of that beast up!

FL
Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 7:38 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
I wouldn't be disappointed you still have a badass bike. I would check and see if your lbs will help you out in anyway.

Yeah I am not disappointed it rides great, very similar to my 2012 evo. I was just hoping for the space in the downtube so I don't have to run a horrible saddle bag carrying a pump multiptool etc.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 11:56 Quote
Been so busy with work haven't had much time for ride, but my ride to town and drink coffee daughter date yielded some first impressions.

A. This thing is fast! Much more effortless than the enduro was.

B. Stem is surely a bit long for my taste. The bearclaw spank 35mm I ordered(still waiting) may have been overkill, 50 was probably the right choice after all. I guess it gets a new home on the p bike.

C. It jumps. Goddamm does it ever jump. Most graceful thing I've ever rode. Very easy to throw around, with the stem change it should be perfect

It's not much...but here it is

photo

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 14:05 Quote
Alaska that thing looks sick! I just can't think why Specialized UK aren't going to carry the Orange instead of the Black.

29 lbs is a bit of a shock though. I wonder where the weigh is hiding. Wheels maybe?

Once I get back from holiday in a weeks time it'll be time to decide 29er or 650B. Typically no more Medium Carbon Experts in either in the UK until July.

Plenty of the Alloy Elites though and I can't help but think frame weights are probably pretty similar.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
I'm willing to bet there's not much in it between frame composition. The feel is certainly different, and really 29 isn't a lot of weight so it's no biggie to me. I too am damn surprised they don't offer both frame colorways.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
AlaskaMechanic wrote:
Been so busy with work haven't had much time for ride, but my ride to town and drink coffee daughter date yielded some first impressions.

A. This thing is fast! Much more effortless than the enduro was.

B. Stem is surely a bit long for my taste. The bearclaw spank 35mm I ordered(still waiting) may have been overkill, 50 was probably the right choice after all. I guess it gets a new home on the p bike.

C. It jumps. Goddamm does it ever jump. Most graceful thing I've ever rode. Very easy to throw around, with the stem change it should be perfect

It's not much...but here it is

photo

Completely agree!

50mm Megaforce is what I chose on my Med., and with lower 10mm rise bars, instead of the 25mm stockers. I may have been able to do a 40mm stem, but probably doesn't make much difference either way.

And last night I cut off and ground down the Taco Blade to make my own pivot spacer.
Also, found some rubber grommets I had in a variety pack from Harbor Freight that work perfect for swat door hole plugs.
Mounted up my Slaughter, but haven't gotten to ride it much yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload photos to here from my phone...? Not sure why I can't embed a photo from another host?

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
Anyone had there shock to yolk loosen up on them yet? Mine loosened after my first ride so I tightened it then after my fourth ride its loose again.
My stock XL Comp 650b with 160mm Pike weigh's in at 31.5lbs with pedals
I cant believe there's no factory option spacer availible to remove the Taco Blade. That's right up there with converting to tubless on my modification list.

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 17:44 Quote
superdoperider wrote:
Anyone had there shock to yolk loosen up on them yet? Mine loosened after my first ride so I tightened it then after my fourth ride its loose again.
My stock XL Comp 650b with 160mm Pike weigh's in at 31.5lbs with pedals
I cant believe there's no factory option spacer availible to remove the Taco Blade. That's right up there with converting to tubless on my modification list.

Happened to my 2015, get some loctite in there and it'll stay put.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035502
Mobile Version of Website