Anyone else riding the new DB8 ?

PB Forum :: Diamondback
Anyone else riding the new DB8 ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 7:42 Quote
Got my DB8 in February and stared at it longingly until Highland opened a few weeks ago. Now that I have a few days on the bike I am really loving it. Still getting used to everything. This is my first time on a DH bike and first time on flat pedals.

Was wondering who else is riding this bike and looking to hear stories and experiences, as well as any upgrades you felt have made this bike even better.

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 10:23 Quote
i got mine in January, but i'm still waiting for the lifts to spin here in CO. I've only got a couple light runs on it so far but the bike feels dialed. the only out of the box upgrades i did were the brakes, i put Zee's on cause deore's just won't hold up to DH use and i swapped to my default spank spike pedals. i'd be interested to hear what you think about the Honeybadger DH tires, they just look kind of wimpy to me...

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 19:48 Quote
I also really want to upgrade to zee brakes. I upgraded to RT86 ice tech rotors and sintered pads though. So far I have no issues with the deore brakes. I will note that the runs I make at Highland MTB Park are probably nowhere near the length of what you ride in CO.

No complaints really about the tires yet. That being said, I have nothing to compare them too. I can definitely say they aren't the fastest tires in the rolling resistance category but I also had to get used to the smaller diameter wheels as well coming from riding only a 29er trail bike previously. I am a huge fan on my Michelin wild grip'r 2 tires on my 29er so I was thinking of trying the Wild rock'r 2 on this bike after reading up on them. I know they are only 2.35 but I'm only riding bike park not too much technical or grarly DH yet. And usually the Michelin tires fill out pretty wide I think on the 31mm rims they will be pretty good.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
I'm interested in this bike but curious about the sizing. I'm 6'2 but haven't seen many of these around to test ride. How tall are you guys and what size are you on ?
Thanks

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 14:21 Quote
broccolirob wrote:
I'm interested in this bike but curious about the sizing. I'm 6'2 but haven't seen many of these around to test ride. How tall are you guys and what size are you on ?
Thanks

I am also 6'2 and I'm on the large frame. the fit feels pretty solid to me, nice and roomy but not too stretched out. it feels like a big bike and that's what it is. Kelly Mcgarry rode this frame and he's 6'4 or 6'5 so it should definitely work for you.

that said i'm gonna pick up a shorty DM stem just for giggles, haven't tried one that short yet and I don't think it would be too short for the frame. but that's more about curiosity than needing to shorten the reach of the stock build.

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 15:44 Quote
I'm also on the large per the advice from DB directly. Was on the phone about something unrelated and asked the girl about the sizing. She actually said "hold on, I'm actually sitting right next to the guys that designed that bike" I am 5'10" and they said I was right on the fence between the two but recommend the larger frame and said that's what they would ride if they were my size. The bike feels great.

Also FWIW. Just got my new issue of MBaction and one of the writers asked about the DB8 since it was in the 2015 buyers guide. They said it's a bulletproof bike with a component spec that is hard to beat at its price. The bike as also reviewed and ridden on the cover of Decline mag a couple months ago. That mag also loved the bike. For anyone out there reading this who might be on the fence, this really is a killer bike! I've ever gotten several compliments on it already this season. It's a sharp looking red color in the sunlight.

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 at 20:44 Quote
My buddy rides one and it seems like a pretty awesome bike, especially at that pricepoint. The brakes are the only weak part of the build, so it's too bad they didn't equip it with something a little better, but swap those out for something like XT/Zee and you're pretty much all set. You'll prob want to tweak the cockpit (pedals/grips/bars/stem) to suit your preferences like he did, like you would with any bike, but otherwise this bike seems like such a killer value.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 14:09 Quote
just curious what Bar/Stem combos people are running on their DB8's. i can't decide if i want to go with a short (30mm) stem or a 50mm stem and a taller bar.

thanks

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 15:48 Quote
Stock stem and Renthal Fatbar 20mm on mine. Feels great but similar to stock setup.

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
Been looking at getting the DB8...this feedback is great...i ride the 2015 Mission Pro 650b and kiiinda want a DH rig even though my Pro can handle pretty much anything haha

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 14:42 Quote
greyson13 wrote:
Been looking at getting the DB8...this feedback is great...i ride the 2015 Mission Pro 650b and kiiinda want a DH rig even though my Pro can handle pretty much anything haha

anything your mission can handle a DB8 can handle faster, as long as you're pointed down! plus it's an absolute tank through the rough which is nice as long as you don't have a chairlift or shuttle.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 11:20 Quote
deeluxflow wrote:
greyson13 wrote:

anything your mission can handle a DB8 can handle faster, as long as you're pointed down! plus it's an absolute tank through the rough which is nice as long as you don't have a chairlift or shuttle.

Nice, im gonna end up getting a dh rig...just gonna take my time and decide on one but the DB8 looks solid for the price point

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 9:20 Quote
Thinking about trying a new stem on my db8. I am only 5'10 and riding the long frame. Thinking of trying something short like the deity micro 30mm stem since the reach is quite long on this bike.

Interesting to hear what any of you have tried?

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 10:18 Quote
I've got the Deity Micro DM with the stock bar on my long DB8. I'm 6'2 and with the geo of this bike i didn't need a shorter reach per say but i do like the steering feel of the shorter stem and being slightly more on the back wheel. i might try a taller bar to get a little more cockpit space back but i'm liking the short stem a lot.

plus i gotta say the black/white/red micro DM stem looks boss as can be with the DB8's paint.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 11:06 Quote
That's the color I want! Do you have any pics?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013575
Mobile Version of Website