Play in Saint front hub

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Play in Saint front hub
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
Hey everyone!

So I bought myself a used downhill bike very recently, it's been great and all but the only thing bugging me is that the front Saint M-810 hub has a lot of play in it (side to side) but when I tighten it down quite a lot then the wheel won't spin freely "enough" anymore. I have to get it really tight to totally lose the play but then the wheel would only move like 2-3 turns on its own before stopping and I would probably eventually wreck the bearings and the whole hub like this but riding around with a loose hub isn't much better either (haven't taken the bike to huge jumps and stuff yet though).

Also when I grab the front brake, hold it down and rock the bike back and forth, the hub is moving slightly back and forward but the rotor stays in place. The rotor itself isn't loose on the hub though (it's the centerlock design).

So what should I do with it? Take it to the LBS to let them have a look at it? I'm also encountering a bit of brake pad rub that the "loose caliper and holding down the brake" trick didn't fix so maybe they could also help me with that (formula brakes) ?

I've heard that it's using the open-bearing design and therefore is really adjustable and if you get it right then it should be near perfect. I also read that you can use loctite on the threads and the outer ring that holds the bearings in place to keep it from coming loose in the future, is this true?

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
as far as i know, the 810 hubs use a very similar preload method as normal cup and cone bearing systems, so on the piece that slides through the hub body there should be a threaded collar that you use to set the preload of the hub.
based on what you're saying, you've already tried preloading the hub bearings, but if i were you, i'd try doing that again and if it doesnt work then your bearings are probably shot. take it into your LBS and get a second opinion though.

as for the brake rub, this should be very easily solved by sighting down through your caliper where the pads go in. through there you should be able to see both the pads and the rotor. loosen your caliper bolts and the align the caliper using your hands. once you get it aligned, tighten down the caliper bolts enough so that the caliper wont move, then grab the brake so the caliper wont move and tighten down the bolts fully. if you still get brake rub, you can use a five mil hex key to bend the rotor back into true. although if you've never done that before, i'd recommend you get your mechanic to deal with that issue.

and to answer your last question, the preload system on the hub should consist of the preload ring, and a lockring to hold the preload ring in place. so theoretically you shouldnt need to loctite the threads, but you can if they keep coming loose. just make sure to use blue loctite, not red.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 23:03 Quote
I took a look at the bearings yesterday and they seemed fine atleast on the side with the preload ring and lockring. And yeah, I was thinking about using blue loctite on the lockring.

Pretty bad weather today so I'll probably spend the day in garage and try those things you said with the hub and brakes and if it won't work out then I'll just take it to LBS, shouldn't be too hard for them to fix it hopefully.

Maybe I'll also try cleaning out the bearings and regreasing them? I should have some grease laying around so I guess it would be worth a shot.

Just a question though, how easily should the front wheel spin by itself or should I just focus on getting rid of the play in the hub and then see about that?

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 8:04 Quote
Almost managed to lose all the play in the hub but some of it is still there, messed around with my brake pads for almost 3 hours, result: almost cut my finger off with a rotor and the pads are still rubbing Madder , LBS it is...

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 15:47 Quote
the hub should spin very easily and smoothly. there shouldnt be any gritty feeling when you spin the wheel
grease might help a bit, but check the bearings to make sure they arent deformed or gritty feeling.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007255
Mobile Version of Website