Need help choosing semi downhill mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need help choosing semi downhill mountain bike
Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 14:02 Quote
nakos wrote:
+1 for the YT Capra.

Also, have you considered getting a used DH bike? You can usually pick one up for about $1000; it will be more suitable for DH park riding, and you won't risk breaking/crashing your trail bike at the bike park.

If you were looking at a new bike I'd recommend the YT Industries' Capra or Giant's Trance SX
i would but i'm still a minor and my parents wont let me shopped usedConfused Frown

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 14:11 Quote
MTB604972 wrote:
nakos wrote:
+1 for the YT Capra.

Also, have you considered getting a used DH bike? You can usually pick one up for about $1000; it will be more suitable for DH park riding, and you won't risk breaking/crashing your trail bike at the bike park.

If you were looking at a new bike I'd recommend the YT Industries' Capra or Giant's Trance SX
i would but i'm still a minor and my parents wont let me shopped usedConfused Frown
But they'll let you spend $4500 on bikes lol Anyway +1 on the Capra

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 14:24 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
MTB604972 wrote:
nakos wrote:
+1 for the YT Capra.

But they'll let you spend $4500 on bikes lol Anyway +1 on the Capra
ikr

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 17:55 Quote
I heard people had trouble with their yt capra frames braking can any one confirm this

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 at 10:46 Quote
MTB604972 wrote:
I heard people had trouble with their yt capra frames braking can any one confirm this

I don't know for certain, but it seems that 90-95% of frame issues were reported with the 1st generation, i.e. 2014, Capra's. As for the 2015 bikes, there were much fewer reported problems since YT beefed up the carbon frames in critical areas.

You can check out the thread for yourself here:https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=161580

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 at 18:51 Quote
nakos wrote:
MTB604972 wrote:

I don't know for certain, but it seems that 90-95% of frame issues were reported with the 1st generation, i.e. 2014, Capra's. As for the 2015 bikes, there were much fewer reported problems since YT beefed up the carbon frames in critical areas.

You can check out the thread for yourself here:https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=161580
oh ok thank you for clearing that up

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2015 at 7:28 Quote
reign- best value, local dealer for support and ease of warranty. i would then spend the rest of your money on two decent helmets, one full, one trail, and a second tougher wheelset for thrashing at the bike park. i usually whip my dropper off my bike for riding park too so a second seat with stubby seatpost is useful.

Posted: Jul 18, 2015 at 9:15 Quote
I think I'm leaning towards the Spesh enduro, Norco range, YT capra(my friend just got one and they have had nothing but great experiences with company) or maybe even the spartan (the bike shop is kind of far away but its worth it if its the right bike)

Posted: Jul 18, 2015 at 17:08 Quote
My GF rides a Norco Range and she loves it, mostly from how comfortable he frame felt to her. Personally I ride the YT Capra, I have a Comp 2 and it is a blast. Bike seems completely solid, have't had any problems with it, I use it for everything from trail rides to endure races. Would definitely buy the Capra again if I had the choice.

Posted: Jul 18, 2015 at 23:30 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
reign- best value, local dealer for support and ease of warranty. i would then spend the rest of your money on two decent helmets, one full, one trail, and a second tougher wheelset for thrashing at the bike park. i usually whip my dropper off my bike for riding park too so a second seat with stubby seatpost is useful.

The Giant Reign would be a good option for DH use, but be be sure to demo it if you intend to take it out on the trail. I have heard that its longer wheelbase and chainstay can cause the front end to wander while climbing, and it is overall somewhat sluggish on the uphills

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 8:45 Quote
photo
downhill set up on NPMega

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 8:47 Quote
photo
Race set up on same NP Mega AM

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 10:44 Quote
Sweet set ups on the Nukeproof!

I am in the same boat as far as having a semi-downhill bike and am seriously thinking about going the route of 2 bikes instead of one do it all. I currently have a Kona Process 153 with a pretty sturdy build and thought this would be my one do everything bike. I recently did a half day of downhill at Northstar bike park at Lake Tahoe on my Process and my bike took a beating. I kept losing my chain, even with a clutch read derailleur and a narrow wide ring. I also got a couple dings and also bent my derailleur. The bike was a blast to ride on these trails but it defiinitely got beat down. I am thinking of possibly selling it and getting a 140mm trail bike and a full on DH rig that can take the abuse. My budget would be about $3000-3500 for two bikes so not sure what I would be able to afford. Anyone else ran into the same issue? For now I am beefing up the Kona with a chain guide and maybe another set of wheels to beat on at the bike park.

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 10:50 Quote
jdsecan12 wrote:
Sweet set ups on the Nukeproof!

I am in the same boat as far as having a semi-downhill bike and am seriously thinking about going the route of 2 bikes instead of one do it all. I currently have a Kona Process 153 with a pretty sturdy build and thought this would be my one do everything bike. I recently did a half day of downhill at Northstar bike park at Lake Tahoe on my Process and my bike took a beating. I kept losing my chain, even with a clutch read derailleur and a narrow wide ring. I also got a couple dings and also bent my derailleur. The bike was a blast to ride on these trails but it defiinitely got beat down. I am thinking of possibly selling it and getting a 140mm trail bike and a full on DH rig that can take the abuse. My budget would be about $3000-3500 for two bikes so not sure what I would be able to afford. Anyone else ran into the same issue? For now I am beefing up the Kona with a chain guide and maybe another set of wheels to beat on at the bike park.
thinking of a DH bike myself,but I never feel under biked,and easily keep up the guys on the dh bikes,so far the bike has stood up to the task,bent a few mechs,but that can happen riding anywhere to be honest.A new 160 bike is better than a 5 year old DH bike IMO.

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
Kona process 153. Sold the dh bike when I got this and currently in morzine loving it even more. Had a few comments saying must be struggling on it and Im mad for selling my dh bike and absolutely not. Glad I'm not on a dh bike there fat pigs to ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.055105
Mobile Version of Website