SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 21:51 Quote
I ride a medium Scout and a medium Patrol, both with a 35mm stem, I can´t feel any difference, same bars as well

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2016 at 7:02 Quote
photo

photo
[/Quote]

sumbitch, guess I gotta swap out my alu Scout.

Posted: Jul 22, 2016 at 8:24 Quote
RMWB wrote:
photo

photo

sumbitch, guess I gotta swap out my alu Scout.[/Quote]
no you don't Wink

Posted: Jul 22, 2016 at 12:22 Quote
Oh Snap!!! But I do like my 2015 so maybe later.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 10:19 Quote
Anyone have a coil on their Scout? How's it handle?

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 13:50 Quote
Not trying to anger Transition owners here, but I'm in the market for a new bike within the next 4 months and have begun demo'ing and reading. Was getting excited to see about the carbon scout, but now I feel a little disappointed.

5k+ for a carbon scout. The first carbon run from a bike MFG that just had some bearing issues (that it didn't really address, at least not publicly admit), and doesn't have a lifetime frame warranty. This pricing puts it against every other mid tier/top of the line bike in it's class (if not above them), but without the experience/guarantees that many other brands in the price range have. Still going to hunt a patrol or a scout down to at least demo before I pull the trigger, but it seems like it's less of a possibility to own now.

Just for the record, I'm not a weight weenie, but if I have the option to go carbon for roughly the same cost as an aluminum, I will certainly go carbon.

Depending on how my demo's go I may try to hunt down a used aluminum scout and build it exactly the way that I want this winter, but was really planning on having a frame warranty when I go and drop some decent coin on a new rig.

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 23:36 Quote
stonant wrote:
Not trying to anger Transition owners here, but I'm in the market for a new bike within the next 4 months and have begun demo'ing and reading. Was getting excited to see about the carbon scout, but now I feel a little disappointed.

5k+ for a carbon scout. The first carbon run from a bike MFG that just had some bearing issues (that it didn't really address, at least not publicly admit), and doesn't have a lifetime frame warranty. This pricing puts it against every other mid tier/top of the line bike in it's class (if not above them), but without the experience/guarantees that many other brands in the price range have. Still going to hunt a patrol or a scout down to at least demo before I pull the trigger, but it seems like it's less of a possibility to own now.

Just for the record, I'm not a weight weenie, but if I have the option to go carbon for roughly the same cost as an aluminum, I will certainly go carbon.

Depending on how my demo's go I may try to hunt down a used aluminum scout and build it exactly the way that I want this winter, but was really planning on having a frame warranty when I go and drop some decent coin on a new rig.

Bearing issues?
18 months on my scout (including a very wet and muddy winter) riding 1 to 3 times a week.
No bearing issue with mine

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
Milesos wrote:
stonant wrote:

Bearing issues?
18 months on my scout (including a very wet and muddy winter) riding 1 to 3 times a week.
No bearing issue with mine

Agree with Milesos, I have had my scout for 2 years now and have had no issues and have put a few 100 miles on it. I did change my bearings to enduro because we had a lot of rain at one point when i first got mine and some bearings got a little pitted. They were still in good working order but i chose to replace. I should have added grease to them during initial assembly but i wanted to put enduros in anyways.

Also, if weight is not an issue then why spend the extra change? You can get the Alum Scout 3 build for $3900 which is $1200 less then $5100 Carbon scout 3 build and you get the same components. You can take the $1200 and build a nice wheelset and swap out the Sram GX for some XT or XTR components to lighten things up. I think with the wheels you could shave a lot of rotation weight that will make a bigger diff over a light frame.

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 at 15:21 Quote
Bearing issues are easily addressed, carbon is f*cking expensive, both my Patrol and Scout are alloy and secondhand, so I've saved bundles !

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 9:41 Quote
Two (and a half) sets of bearings on my scout over 17 mths. Ride three times a week, with a race once a month, and in the UK were summer can be as wet and muddy as parts of winter. As long as they don't need replacing again in the next few months thats acceptable for me.

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 15:07 Quote
darrenspink wrote:
Two (and a half) sets of bearings on my scout over 17 mths. Ride three times a week, with a race once a month, and in the UK were summer can be as wet and muddy as parts of winter. As long as they don't need replacing again in the next few months thats acceptable for me.

Have you tried enduro bearings?

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 11:26 Quote
I trashed the set that came in the bike in 4 months. Replaced with enduro bearings last week, we'll see how long they last. Regardless, the Scout is a bad ass, super capable rig.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 2:16 Quote
Milesos wrote:
darrenspink wrote:

Have you tried enduro bearings?

Sure, I always use them.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 23:20 Quote
@Ckemmerer:

awesome bike!

how did you get rid off the green decals?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017708
Mobile Version of Website