To Brake or Not to Brake: M8000 vs. Zee vs. Saint, thoughts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
To Brake or Not to Brake: M8000 vs. Zee vs. Saint, thoughts?
Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 11:45 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
ClkBearclaw wrote:
But I want to know where these 45min descents are lol.

I used to say that until I made my first visit to a lift-access mountain (Blue Mountain PA). I thought I had seen some pretty kickass descents but nothing prepared me for 30 mins at what felt like 100mph with my hands in a death grip on the bars and praying that my XTR brakes lived up to their reputation. They did, they handled the entire day without complaint. My buddy followed me the entire day on a bike equipped with BB7's and 160mm discs, and had no problems either. Impressive for resin-pad mech brakes.

From my experience, Zee and Saint are the best brakes you can (reasonably) get. But good 'ole XTs are 90% as good, and much cheaper. I think Merlin still has the sale going on the M785 XTs for like $115 F+R. I had a coupon last month and picked them up for $85. Best deal ever.

$85.00???? DANG, that's good even by my uber-frugal standards!

I see they have a F/R set for ~$121.00 right now, but for $50.00 more you can get Zees...4 pot + 203/180 rotors I think are my winner, not just need to make sure they're not setup UK (moto style) from Merlin!

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 12:01 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
not just need to make sure they're not setup UK (moto style) from Merlin!

Yeah and while I am a big fan of Merlin, I have to say - good luck with that. I have ordered alot of brakes through Merlin and I have never been able to figure out a pattern to which format I get. Sometimes it's US and sometimes it's UK. Seems like you get whatever they have at the time.

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
TheRaven wrote:
ClkBearclaw wrote:
But I want to know where these 45min descents are lol.

I used to say that until I made my first visit to a lift-access mountain (Blue Mountain PA). I thought I had seen some pretty kickass descents but nothing prepared me for 30 mins at what felt like 100mph with my hands in a death grip on the bars and praying that my XTR brakes lived up to their reputation. They did, they handled the entire day without complaint. My buddy followed me the entire day on a bike equipped with BB7's and 160mm discs, and had no problems either. Impressive for resin-pad mech brakes.

From my experience, Zee and Saint are the best brakes you can (reasonably) get. But good 'ole XTs are 90% as good, and much cheaper. I think Merlin still has the sale going on the M785 XTs for like $115 F+R. I had a coupon last month and picked them up for $85. Best deal ever.

$85.00???? DANG, that's good even by my uber-frugal standards!

I see they have a F/R set for ~$121.00 right now, but for $50.00 more you can get Zees...4 pot + 203/180 rotors I think are my winner, not just need to make sure they're not setup UK (moto style) from Merlin!

You gotta explain that to me. What's the difference?

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 13:41 Quote
UK (moto style) brakes are setup as the right lever is the front brake and the left lever is the rear brake.

So pretty much the opposite of what US/Euro bikers use, but that's how the setup works on a motorcycle.

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 16:26 Quote
Today I'm seriously considering the Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes. Anyone have info. Or time on them?

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 18:46 Quote
Looks like a job for Gatorbrake LOL

DUAL 8 piston calipers on carbon fiber rotors. That should do the trick, and don't worry, you can thank me later XD

photo

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 18:56 Quote
ryanmccrary1 wrote:
Today I'm seriously considering the Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes. Anyone have info. Or time on them?

Did you ever pull the trigger on some brakes? I'm still waffling haha!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 19:44 Quote
ryanmccrary1 wrote:
countrygravy wrote:
Ryan have you ever heard of bike-discount.de and merlincycles.com?

They have the m8000 xts f/r for $175.00! Zees are the same price...saints are only $250 f/r...

I buy most of my costly items from these places, I'm a home mech and $$$ is tight with me, check these places out!

...currently leaning Zee f/r with 203/180 rotors...but just like you my mind keeps changing!

Got zees on my trance. Love them. No fade. They bite hard enough to let you know they are there but not too hard. One finger braking hasn't been the same for me since. But...my longest descent here on oahu is about 8 minutes. And I'm not fast.

Thanks for the heads up! It sounds like all of us have just about bought the Zee's before getting cold feet. Who is actually out there riding on the Zee's?

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 20:29 Quote
Ever thought about the Guides? I run them on my 5010 and Bronson and absolutely love them. Even on the Downieville classic downhill course they don't fade(16 miles 6000 feet of descent 55 minutes)

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 5:43 Quote
speedy38racer wrote:
Ever thought about the Guides? I run them on my 5010 and Bronson and absolutely love them. Even on the Downieville classic downhill course they don't fade(16 miles 6000 feet of descent 55 minutes)

I've definitely considered Guides. I've heard great things and SRAM owns my drivetrain already (no complaints).

I actually purchased some Zees +203/180 rotors. The total price w/ shipping ended up being ~$270.00.

I would've gotten some Guide R's I believe at that price. Guide R vs. Zee and the Zee is the winner for me. Not totally sure why, maybe I just want to feel cool w/ "downhillers" brakes?

Never ridden Shimano Discs, will let you know!

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 6:08 Quote
countrygravy wrote:
speedy38racer wrote:

I've definitely considered Guides. I've heard great things and SRAM owns my drivetrain already (no complaints).

I actually purchased some Zees +203/180 rotors. The total price w/ shipping ended up being ~$270.00.

I would've gotten some Guide R's I believe at that price. Guide R vs. Zee and the Zee is the winner for me. Not totally sure why, maybe I just want to feel cool w/ "downhillers" brakes?

Never ridden Shimano Discs, will let you know!

I've heard really good things about the new SRAM brakes, and i'd have no problems with trusting them. But, they aren't any cheaper than Shimano's stuff, and Shimano has a long-time proven reputation in braking, so when I have the choice, i'll go Shimano every time. I'd take the Zee's in this case too.

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 6:23 Quote
Chain Reaction has them pretty cheap

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 17:12 Quote
Screw it. As of tonight, I'm going with the Hope E4s. I've done plenty of time the XTs and the guides. Love each of them for different reasons, but also feel like each of them could be better in certain respects. Hope may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot. I'm still gonna have to sell a kidney for them, but I found a pretty solid deal. As long as I don't wake up feeling like I NEED the Zee's, I'm taking the plunge on hopes tomorrow

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 17:35 Quote
ryanmccrary1 wrote:
Screw it. As of tonight, I'm going with the Hope E4s. I've done plenty of time the XTs and the guides. Love each of them for different reasons, but also feel like each of them could be better in certain respects. Hope may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot. I'm still gonna have to sell a kidney for them, but I found a pretty solid deal. As long as I don't wake up feeling like I NEED the Zee's, I'm taking the plunge on hopes tomorrow

Haha, funny. I was looking at hope and found a good deal on Zee's. Pulling the trigger tonight!

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 17:43 Quote
ryanmccrary1 wrote:

Good luck sir!

We'll just turn this into the official Hope E4 vs. Zee thread!

Feel free to post build pics and ride thoughts, I'll certainly be doing it!

PS - @gobblehog good choice! Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016162
Mobile Version of Website