Santa Cruz Nomad X1 or Canyon Strive CF 9.0 Race

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Santa Cruz Nomad X1 or Canyon Strive CF 9.0 Race
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
I am looking at getting my first AM/ Enduro mountain bike as coming from XC hardtail bike, I have been looking for ages, reading reviews and final come down to two bikes. if I could I would get both but that's only a dream
2015 Santa Cruz Nomad X01 for £4,500 in the very sexy aqua blue / magenta

or the

2016 Canyon Strive CF Race 9.0 for £3,850.

I like the style and handling of the santa cruz,the suspension (even thought not set up for me properly, was some one on who had one let me have a blitz) but never got my hands on a canyon strive, has any one riden both that can give some key pointers.

cheers

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 2:53 Quote
Im also looking to buy a Santa Cruz nomad, they have really good reviews, I prefer the nomad

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 1:32 Quote
I was in the same dilemma - I picked the Strive CF 9.0 Race (2016 model, not delivered yet).

I demoed both (Strive was 2015 though) for a short time, but left an impression still.

Nomad is slightly more aggressive on the descents, but it feels like it really has to be ridden aggressevly to be comfortable, when trying to go slow og relaxed it startet to get sketchy (not mouch, but a little). VPP makes it a fairly good climber for what it is - a light DH rig :-P

Strive is more neutral and much more all around capable in my opinion. It still goes down very very fast. Shapeshifter does a big difference on longer climbs, but you wont use it in the small burst climbs (maybe when you get more used to it), climbing in DH mode I would say the Strive is around avarage. On flatter technial single track you might run it in xc mode with succes as well).

I need a big spectre of bike abilities for my local trails... good climber, rought descent, big hits and the yearly trip to the alps, so for me the Strive won as an allrounder. If I lived in the alps the Nomad might have won... but the the price and spec on the 9.0 Race was just a big plus as well.

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 1:46 Quote
Neither, get a 2015 Strive CF 9.0 Race, NOW!
sales are on, £3270
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/strive/strive-cf-9-0-race.html

CF 8 Race is the best deal ever at £2850
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/strive/strive-cf-8-0-race.html

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 8:41 Quote
seppe80 wrote:
I was in the same dilemma - I picked the Strive CF 9.0 Race (2016 model, not delivered yet).

I demoed both (Strive was 2015 though) for a short time, but left an impression still.

Nomad is slightly more aggressive on the descents, but it feels like it really has to be ridden aggressevly to be comfortable, when trying to go slow og relaxed it startet to get sketchy (not mouch, but a little). VPP makes it a fairly good climber for what it is - a light DH rig :-P

Strive is more neutral and much more all around capable in my opinion. It still goes down very very fast. Shapeshifter does a big difference on longer climbs, but you wont use it in the small burst climbs (maybe when you get more used to it), climbing in DH mode I would say the Strive is around avarage. On flatter technial single track you might run it in xc mode with succes as well).

I need a big spectre of bike abilities for my local trails... good climber, rought descent, big hits and the yearly trip to the alps, so for me the Strive won as an allrounder. If I lived in the alps the Nomad might have won... but the the price and spec on the 9.0 Race was just a big plus as well.

Cheers everyone,

Yeah I heard people are waiting for their new order for the 2016 model. The previous year models looks awesome as well, not as in your face as the nomad, more stealthy, stops theives noticing it as much.
With my local trails and within the surrounding areas I do think that the canyon will be the best bet as no where near like the alps. Plus have a few good bike parks in walse, like BPW AND ANTUR stiniog, where the nomad would shine better. However the price v spec on the nomad compare to the strive price and specs will have a little extra for upgrades.
Appreciate the comments to help me make a decision. As wanted to to know what shapeshifter is like on bike.

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 15:05 Quote
Man check out rose bikes. They're direct sales and the prices seem almost too good to be true. The uncle jimbo(160mm) has been getting killer reviews.
You can configure the bike to just about any components you want. Prices are from €2500~€4500 with top class builds
I'm looking at gettting one soon

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 15:19 Quote
I've heard mixed things with shapeshifter. The
'Shape' can become jammed in either climb or descend mode, it's crap if it's stuck in climb.
Also there's plenty of people on this who have been dicked over by canyon customer service.
I wouldn't trust bikes with frame alteration devices just yet. It's only been one year of production and so who knows how long they'll last in the future.

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 1:39 Quote
I have strive and never heard it being stuck in xc mode. As far as I know if shapeshifter breaks you are stuck in DH mode. You can still ride all you want it just climbs "differently".

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 3:00 Quote
TriangleSLO wrote:
I have strive and never heard it being stuck in xc mode. As far as I know if shapeshifter breaks you are stuck in DH mode. You can still ride all you want it just climbs "differently".

Still a bummer though, the standout feature of the strive is shapeshifter. If it jams in either mode your not exactly getting what you paying for....
Still an awesome bike though

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
I don't think there are problems with new batches. If it stops working you have regular bike till Canyon sends you new one or pays LBS to install it for you. Not the end of the world.

Posted: Jan 20, 2016 at 18:46 Quote
i wanna know if anyone here who brought the Strive 2016 have the same issue about SS being jammed like we have in 2015 Strive?
i wanted the Strive so bad, i would appreciate it so much if any of Strive 2016 owner give me information, i own Spectral but its not aggresive enough for me. Smile

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 0:17 Quote
More things on a bike that can break, the worst it is.
A Nomad with a shock with a proper lockout, not like the monarch plus one, would be better.
A Bronson would probably be a better choice tho if you are even considering a Strive and it already comes with a Fox shock with a better platform.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 12:10 Quote
I don't have a 2016 but I have a 2015. I took a gamble and had mine shipped from Europe. The shapeshifter piston works ok for me and has not changed in functionality since I got it a little over six months ago. My one gripe is that I can not get it to go into climb mode while I am on the bike. I have to dismount in order to do so. I think maybe it has a little too much stiction or dampening because I have definitely juiced the air pressure on it..
This has not ruined my day and I am glad I bought the bike. I would get another one if I had to do it again, I like the way it rides and love the way it descends, and it must looks nasty! I'm considering adding a spectral (either that or a Norco sight) to the mix as well, mostlu because I have a problem Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 12:34 Quote
i own the strive cf 9 race from 2015. rode it all last summer here in the alps about 3 days a week average.
my shapeshifter broke at the end of summer. would not extend fully and left me in dh mode. however they send me a new one in about 3 weeks. new one is 2016. feels way more crisp and worked flawless so far.
the shapeshifter truely makes a huge differnce in how the bike climbs. if it is in xc mode it climbs like a light all mountain. very impressived to be honest. switch the thing to dh and the party is on. it def rips!
not a massive fan of the monarch plus debonair. i have to run it really fast to handle high speed chatter, means it kinda kicks your rear on the jumps. however, not everybody has such rough trails in his backyard.
make sure not to get sram wheels. they ain't bad but have the worst customer service. i dented my rim and they dont sell them + 24 spokes only and nobody else produces that. 250€ to send it in and get it repaired. or 400€ for a new wheel. f*ck that - bought new wheelset
other than that, best bike i have ever been on. you won`t be disappointed.

But! canyon's customer service is utter shit!!
If you can`t work on your bikes or think you will need their service, then buy a nomade at your lbs

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 19:25 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
i own the strive cf 9 race from 2015. rode it all last summer here in the alps about 3 days a week average.
my shapeshifter broke at the end of summer. would not extend fully and left me in dh mode. however they send me a new one in about 3 weeks. new one is 2016. feels way more crisp and worked flawless so far.
the shapeshifter truely makes a huge differnce in how the bike climbs. if it is in xc mode it climbs like a light all mountain. very impressived to be honest. switch the thing to dh and the party is on. it def rips!
not a massive fan of the monarch plus debonair. i have to run it really fast to handle high speed chatter, means it kinda kicks your rear on the jumps. however, not everybody has such rough trails in his backyard.
make sure not to get sram wheels. they ain't bad but have the worst customer service. i dented my rim and they dont sell them + 24 spokes only and nobody else produces that. 250€ to send it in and get it repaired. or 400€ for a new wheel. f*ck that - bought new wheelset
other than that, best bike i have ever been on. you won`t be disappointed.

But! canyon's customer service is utter shit!!
If you can`t work on your bikes or think you will need their service, then buy a nomade at your lbs

Canyon's customer service is awful. A mate of mine paid for a nerve 4 months ago and they only told her last week they had none in stock after weeks of telling her different stories about her bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026668
Mobile Version of Website