How Fat Heavy is your fattiest and heaviest Mountain Biker Friend?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How Fat Heavy is your fattiest and heaviest Mountain Biker Friend?
Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 15:26 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Why can't a 300lb person ride a bike

they can't?

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 15:33 Quote
dbendixen wrote:
[Quote]

Dude, you need to educate yourself. Like you said, though, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks so you're probably unwilling to do research and find out. So I'm also not sure why you even posted this "question" when you're already set that someone over 300lb is too big to ride.

To start, a simple Google search would have turned up this: http://www.specialized.com/media/docs/support/0000037057/0000037057_r1.pdf

Enduros have a stated weight limit of 300lbs. That's what they published, presumably, from advice of engineers and lawyers. That's the "safe" limit. What the bike can actually support is probably at least 100lb more than that. Think of the force that you, at a petite 149lbs, put on the bike when you land a decent jump. I'm no engineer but I will bet you're putting a force on the suspension, linkage, and axles equal to and likely much more than a 300lb man riding on "blue" trail. It may be more stress but the bike can probably handle it fine. I don't think the bike police are going to stop him. If he wants to ride, let him ride. Who are you to tell him otherwise?

I think your friends, and other overweight people, are looking more for a fun way to help them lose weight more so than just a fun thing to do. I hate running for aerobic exercise, but I get significant aerobic exercise earning my turns to ride down. Riding up a steep trail for 3 mi isn't exactly fun, but it's a lot more fun, relatively speaking, than running (for me).

Regardless of their lifestyle, all things being equal, if they pick up the bike they will lose some weight. To get the most benefit they need a total lifestyle change for sure.

I'm not sure how much more "real life" you want than my good friend riding his bike, that according to you, maybe shouldn't support his weight. If you want another example, I've got another good friend who isn't fat, but not "fit" and happens to be 6'5". He tips the scale at 250+ and has never had a problem with a bike.

That's what I am trying to do! I am trying to educate myself.

Also a simple Google Search of "How much weight can a bike handle" got all kinds of varying results.

Having a BSEE means I am really smart and must have a high IQ, but also remember it does NOT mean I am exempt from laziness, and also it does NOT mean I know everything. All it means is I can collect data points and come to a conclusion (and conclusions are always changing depending on additional data points). Actually people with EE's tend to be very lazy because we don't have to work our brains that hard to get answers, and we do NOT like to work that hard so we figure out ways to get stuff done without working hard.

Thank you for you post and input. I guess if I have an album of fatties on their bikes, I can show my fattie friends this to motivate them. Biking is fun! I would love from them to ride with me, I just want it to be a safe experience for them.

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 15:36 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Your the f*cking stupid one, I know a guy that dh's and he's over 300 lbs and has no problems. So why don't you do your homework f*cking loser

are you mad? I am trying to gather info to get smarter. Remember, just because we EE's are like the smartest people in the University and we have really high IQs, does NOT mean we know everything.

Also you are right, I am a Loser. We all are! I am a Loser at most things because very few can get First Place in anything. However I do have a lot of first place trophies... it's just I lose more than I win. SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOSER.

Better to be a Loser than not try at all right? Please Discuss...

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
It's pretty bad when you get 1st place out of one person db

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
You don't know much about anything db

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:08 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
It's pretty bad when you get 1st place out of one person db

Seems like you are just being a Hater now and Hatinz for no reason other than to hate. How about Fist Place out of 40? FIRST PLACE BABY!!!! Click on the link...

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rrgwsgdkfgskrbkxdsbrqsttsrbq,vi/rftqwgtbwxrbgdsrqfxbdtqddsg/1/932051/13805181/DSC00043-vi.jpg

Also I understand why you Hatinz... sometimes when someone can no longer attack the subject, they have to personally attack the person discussing the subject... it's perfectly normal American behavior.

I ONLY HAVE LOVE FOR YOU MAN!!!

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:15 Quote
Go f*ck your self I'm done talking to your stupid ass

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:45 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Go f*ck your self I'm done talking to your stupid ass

Now I feel bad... I think something I said might have upset-ted you. If I did upset you, it was unintentional. Forgive me? I understand if you do NOT forgive me right away, things like these takes time.

Don't worry, I will be here in case if you want to come back and comment further.. I work around your schedule!

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:47 Quote
Also Mr. pumptrack. I appreciate the time you spent with me in these discussions. Much more than my wife in the past year. My wife does NOT want to have discussions with me Cry

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 0:15 Quote
No discrimination here like Erich said. If you are not suppose to mess around with your 3 years old tricycle. It just pure logic. Same goes to why doctors dont encourage fat people to jog or run at the beginning stage. They should start swimming and reduce the calories intake.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
chyu wrote:
No discrimination here like Erich said. If you are not suppose to mess around with your 3 years old tricycle. It just pure logic. Same goes to why doctors dont encourage fat people to jog or run at the beginning stage. They should start swimming and reduce the calories intake.

Yeah man, no discrimination from Erich either. Erich does NOT give hate, Erich only gives Love.

In the wise words of the Great Philosopher Al Bundy, "It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat".

I just don't see how ignoring a "problem" makes it better, or sugar coating it with sweet colorful crayons to paint a better picture makes it better?

And the reason I put "problem" in double quotes because being fat is NOT a problem if you do not think so. If you are happy being fat, then you should accept the reality that comes with being fat.

We are way too sensitive sometimes! and we should NOT be. We all should be proud of who we are, with the fat, and without the fat. However.... I think the Horse would like us better if we lost the 3 layer of Beluga Whale fat we have on us tup

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
I'm 447lbs. (25 stones) (down from 31st5 since January.) and I ride hard whenever I get the chance.

I put on 11st 5 in 3 years of not being able to ride or run due to a massive ankle injury from cycling.

Do I snap frames? No.
Do I ruin wheels? No.
Do I have to run parts/bikes designed for bigger hits than I ride? No!

I ride a sub 20lb full sus Santa Cruz Blur LT the majority of the time, and then my full carbon boardman single speed for commuting, santa cruz jackal for DJ duties, Claud Butler Morzine for proper road rides, Orange P7 for pissing about in the woods, you get the picture...

There is no limit to what you can ride, where you can ride it, or how you can ride it. The only limit is in your mind.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
identitizack wrote:
I'm 447lbs. (25 stones) (down from 31st5 since January.) and I ride hard whenever I get the chance.

I put on 11st 5 in 3 years of not being able to ride or run due to a massive ankle injury from cycling.

Do I snap frames? No.
Do I ruin wheels? No.
Do I have to run parts/bikes designed for bigger hits than I ride? No!

I ride a sub 20lb full sus Santa Cruz Blur LT the majority of the time, and then my full carbon boardman single speed for commuting, santa cruz jackal for DJ duties, Claud Butler Morzine for proper road rides, Orange P7 for pissing about in the woods, you get the picture...

There is no limit to what you can ride, where you can ride it, or how you can ride it. The only limit is in your mind.

Holy HOLY holy! 447 pounds! that poor horse!

but on a positive note... Good to see you doing your thing and having fun on bikes. Do you have any pics to share of you and your bike? I will PM you, you will be a great Motivator to all my Fattie Friends who want to ride. I can show them pics of you and say "If this guy is out there doing it, than so can you!"

Good Job man! Many props to you.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
Just check your profile page... the dude doing the dropoff is you? Well I don't think you are 447 pounds, at least not using the scale in my bathroom. You look at most 225 pounds. But also can pass for 6' 170 pounds... it's hard to tell sometimes how big a person is by pics.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
Good for you zack, keep riding

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033672
Mobile Version of Website