Powered by Outside

Chain swap on a coil spring bike?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain swap on a coil spring bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 12:52 Quote
Hi!

So replacing a chain on a full suspension bike with a coil-spring, how do you compress the shock to account for chain growth that occurs? With an air shock you just let all the air out of it but what about a coil one? Any tips or is it going to be a two man job? One compressing the shock and the other measuring the chain?
It's a fox dhx rc4 if this should matter at all, maybe I should let air out of the boost valve so it would be easier?

Cheers!

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
Just take your chain off. Then count the links. You really don't need to touch anything else mate.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 13:16 Quote
Chain already came too long on my bike out of the factory so can't measure using old one.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 13:29 Quote
Can't you just take a few links out and try it? If it's still too long then take out a couple more.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 13:30 Quote
Guess it would be a possibility, will give it a try tomorrow.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 17:46 Quote
Easiest is take a narrow diameter pvc pipe, cut it to the length you need (eye to eye minus stroke length) and bolt it onto the bike in place of the shock. Otherwise you can use a ratchet strap to slowly compress the shock.
Guessing is also not a big of a deal as you'd think because you rarely bottom out the shock when you're in the large cog.
If you run into issues, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
-D

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008667
Mobile Version of Website