CRC are taking the piss

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2015 at 13:10 Quote
I've used Chain reaction cycles almost exclusively for all things MTB over the last couple of years, but I've recently noticed some crafty sales techniques. When browsing for gear I often take screenshots to remind myself on what gear I'm after.

I decided to pull the trigger and get a royal racing jacket I fancied only to find that it had been increased in price from 85 to 125, and included in an offer which gives 10 off on spends over 75. I got in touch to ask what was happening and they told me to send the screen shot and they would honour the first price (blaming web mistake)

I've since noticed loads more gear that they have put up in price to include in offers etc, inc Troy Lee designs body armour which has been 79.99 for 6 month or so and is now 99.99 in the Black Friday deal (that's not a deal).

I got in touch to tell them I think the're crafty , I was told my query would go to a manager, heard nowt !

Anyone else noticed what a shower this lot are in this regard ?

Must add, service been great apart from above , but can't help think the're tryin to have my trousers down on everything now

Posted: Nov 22, 2015 at 13:51 Quote
Only thing I noticed the other day was that 510 free riders were £60 and now their £71 and I think they were in last weeks Black Friday.i know £1 is nothing but if their doing this on a lot it's not good. To be honest mate nearly all shops do this, I used to work at Argos and if they had too many of one item let's say a Sony tv that was priced at £200 they would put it up to £250 for a month then advertise that they were cutting price on the telly and selling at £200 crafty buggers they are

Posted: Nov 22, 2015 at 20:33 Quote
This is not a new thing or just them doing this. Every year before the holiday sales I watch places start boosting prices on stuff and the stuff that doesn't becomes exempt from discounts.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 5:11 Quote
extremely common across online shops.

amazon are far the worst.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 5:33 Quote
I had a similar issue years ago. The price changed when I went to check out. Apparently I'd managed to stray in to the "vat free" section...

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 5:39 Quote
I think from your description that this isn't really a sinister situation.

The particular deal they were running with a £10 discount required you to enter a code in the checkout to redeem the discount, if you didn't do that then I'd argue it was your fault that you didn't get the discount.

As for what they price their items at, that's their business, 99% of the time they're still cutting you a good deal anyway because that's what they do. No one's forcing you to pay their asking price, you could always go to your local bike shop and pay retail if you want.

In relation to Five Tens, I bought a pair the week before they were reduced from £71 down to £60, when they were reduced I decided to buy another pair and put them away for next year. They have since gone back up in price.

It doesn't seem fair but that's life.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 5:42 Quote
Might be worth taking advantage of this.. maybe try adding something to your cart but not checking out.. many online shops will mail you a discount code etc in a day or so to keep you interested? But yeah most products will never really be for sale at their RRP (only for a few days) just to make the sale price look better than it is.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 14:35 Quote
joshcowin wrote:
Only thing I noticed the other day was that 510 free riders were £60 and now their £71 and I think they were in last weeks Black Friday.i know £1 is nothing but if their doing this on a lot it's not good. To be honest mate nearly all shops do this, I used to work at Argos and if they had too many of one item let's say a Sony tv that was priced at £200 they would put it up to £250 for a month then advertise that they were cutting price on the telly and selling at £200 crafty buggers they are

Yes, that's the type of thing ! Maybe it's just gone under the radar till now but it certainly stinks of deception to me. I've got no experience in sales methods but I would expect CRC to respect their returning client base.

LIFES BRUTAL Madder

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
CameronRose wrote:
I think from your description that this isn't really a sinister situation.

The particular deal they were running with a £10 discount required you to enter a code in the checkout to redeem the discount, if you didn't do that then I'd argue it was your fault that you didn't get the discount.

As for what they price their items at, that's their business, 99% of the time they're still cutting you a good deal anyway because that's what they do. No one's forcing you to pay their asking price, you could always go to your local bike shop and pay retail if you want.

In relation to Five Tens, I bought a pair the week before they were reduced from £71 down to £60, when they were reduced I decided to buy another pair and put them away for next year. They have since gone back up in price.

It doesn't seem fair but that's life.

The issue I've got is that prices are increased for sales, beyond the amount of the discount offer. Effectively promoting items as on sale which have in fact been increased in price. Even for the five tens case ( £1 ) it's still a stitch up and a piss take in my book.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 15:20 Quote
did use CRC alot but recently they have gone right down hill few months back i ordered a crankset for a build it packed and sent correctly to my address but small part was damaged it was small plastic bit that screws in to prevent crankarm coming off (it does have a special name cant remeber) so i sent them a picture and a email explaining the problem they emailed me back saying it i must of damaged it during in fitting which is crap because i never touched it after that they said okay sent us the crankset back and we will replace it but you have to pay postage after i said that i had installed on the bike they then emailed me again that they now have to send the crankset away to be examined to make sure id not damaged it and that it could take 4-8 weeks buy this stage i told them to stop being so pissy and just send a replacement part as the original was damaged on arrival they sent a link to a shimano dealer and nothing else. ordered a new one from jejames cycles for £3 or something ,rant over CRC are lousy

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 21:54 Quote
I used to use CRC a lot as well but have noticed the changes you guys are talking about too. Used to be free shipping and duty to me here in Canada but no more. They still show free shipping but the packages started arriving with money owing for the duties. Not cool and not a customer anymore. Being in North America I started using Jenson and in my view they are now, what CRC used to be.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 8:11 Quote
SeeWell wrote:
I used to use CRC a lot as well but have noticed the changes you guys are talking about too. Used to be free shipping and duty to me here in Canada but no more. They still show free shipping but the packages started arriving with money owing for the duties. Not cool and not a customer anymore. Being in North America I started using Jenson and in my view they are now, what CRC used to be.
What? Jenson charges up front for duties and taxes. Your still paying them. And if you ordrer CRC and make sure the package is sent parcelforce/canadapost you still have a chance to not pay brokerage/duty and taxes.

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 10:39 Quote
Built a complete bike from crc expect the fork had not a single problem. If you don't like the price shop somewhere else. Jensons is also top notch.

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 16:46 Quote
They had a good deal on, then it goes back up in price (or to not quite as good a deal, but probably cheaper than elsewhere), you missed out.
Such is life, don't take it personally.

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 at 1:27 Quote
Won't buy anything from them anymore. They used to offer real discounts, now they just use the tactics described above.
The fact that all my lbs's are actually cheaper now just proves that crc sale prices are fake.It used to be the other way round and it was justified because small local shops just don't move the same volume of product.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012062
Mobile Version of Website