New Fox Talas vs Pike Dual air

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New Fox Talas vs Pike Dual air
Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 21:55 Quote
I would go with the TALAS. I haven't ridden one myself, but I rode with a guy who has. The adjustable travel from 100mm to 160mm could be very useful. If you climb the bike for any extended period (which XC seems to do a lot), the smaller travel will keep the frame from being at too slack of an angle, and then as soon as you point downhill you've got 160mm of travel to use. The guy I rode with said he loved the amount he could adjust his fork (We live in a very hilly and extremely rocky cross country area, so it was adjusted frequently for the climbs), and that it rode fantastic. At the same time, adjusting the travel means you have to stop and adjust, which is a downside. I currently am riding a fox Floater 32 RL, and am quite satisfied with it. Fox seems to build some quality shocks that perform fantastically with the small bump and big hit performance. I would expect nothing less from a more expensive and new 36 TALAS to have the same quality.

As for the Pike, I have never ridden one, but see almost only good things about it. If you end up doing some light DH with it, I feel as though 140mm might not be enough. My own personal OPINION is that solo air would not be the way to go with it either. The feel of solo air, is not preferable in my terrain.

Hope my input helps!

Posted: Jan 1, 2016 at 2:53 Quote
Decided to dust off the strava to see what difference a dual air makes on a xc type ride. Answer massive. Knocked out record times on all my climbs without trying. Eg one climb I averaged 16mins 30 secs before . Did a 15min 5 sec! Felt so much comfier to sit and spin. And the steep stuff I used to have to stand up a little just to keep the front down I could just stay seated.

Posted: Jan 1, 2016 at 11:05 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Decided to dust off the strava to see what difference a dual air makes on a xc type ride. Answer massive. Knocked out record times on all my climbs without trying. Eg one climb I averaged 16mins 30 secs before . Did a 15min 5 sec! Felt so much comfier to sit and spin. And the steep stuff I used to have to stand up a little just to keep the front down I could just stay seated.

That's exactly why I want one! I love the way my Rune rides but I want it to be more XC friendly. I tend to take my HT most times cause its a bit more forgiving on climbs and I can mange it well on DH stuff that we hit on XC type rides. Its going to have to wait a bit now though since I bitched up my ankle the other day. Hopefully some of the cheap white 2015's are still around then.

Which damper did you have in yours? Are you happy with it or do you wish you got the other damper?

Posted: Jan 1, 2016 at 11:50 Quote
It's the rct3. It's the only option for the dual air pikes. I still think the regular rc dampener from a solo is better and that 3 positions is pointless but so far I'd say it's 90% as good when pointing down. I still need to get off my rump and service/lube the lowers. So overall I'd say for a 153 there brilliant.
I kept using my old cadabra for more xc type rides before because it comfier, pedals and climbs better but now there's not much if anything in it

Posted: Jan 2, 2016 at 8:14 Quote
I would recommend trying a longer stem on your bike. It will put your weight more forward and help offset the travel on the front. It is also a way cheaper option to do before you spend all the money on a new fork. If that doesnt work I would recommend the solo air pike and lock it out on climbs.

Posted: Jan 2, 2016 at 11:23 Quote
I actually tried that already, I have a 70mm on it now.

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 at 2:24 Quote
Na long stems dont really increase any weight transfer when climbing.as you will tend to pull at the bars when really mashing the pedals. Plus extra stretch just puts more pressure on your back. (unless you have a massive head) Lowering the stem or fitting flatter bars increase weight on the front better and won't ruin the steering as much. That and sliding the seat forward on the rails as far forward as you can are worth a cheap shot.
Off set seat posts don't help. I went from ks drop zone with the offset to a straight reverb and that was a improvement also

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 19:08 Quote
I have 20mm of spacer under the stem with 23mm riser bar. I've had it dropped before and its hard on my back and neck. Non offset post with the seat pretty far forward. Hopefully I can get back on this thing soon. I cant believe I bitched up my ankle hitting it off a cable lug on the frameMadder

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 22:58 Quote
Dirtrider76 when you send it for service have the piston changed to a high flow one, like the 2016 fox forks have, and gave them tweak the air chamber so the fork ramps up and has proper support throughout its stroke. I switched from a pike rct3 since it is garbage for bigger ppl. They flex like crazy. The fork isn't holding you back from climbing but that's just my opinion. Best bet for servicing your fork would be sending it to somewhere like Push for a service. Sending to Fox won't get you what you ultimately need and want.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 19:53 Quote
Imspecyized wrote:
Dirtrider76 when you send it for service have the piston changed to a high flow one, like the 2016 fox forks have, and gave them tweak the air chamber so the fork ramps up and has proper support throughout its stroke. I switched from a pike rct3 since it is garbage for bigger ppl. They flex like crazy. The fork isn't holding you back from climbing but that's just my opinion. Best bet for servicing your fork would be sending it to somewhere like Push for a service. Sending to Fox won't get you what you ultimately need and want.

My current fork is actually already PUSH'ed and has the HV mod to the air chamber. It does exactly what it supposed to do going down. Also its a 26" fork and I have 27.5 now, some tires clear, some tires don't. My current DHR2 fits with 1/4" clearance a Charge 2.4 tire rubs at 25psi.

My ankle is feeling pretty good now and I rode today. At least it was OK to snowboard with and we got a blizzard so I wasn't riding anyways.

Posted: Apr 17, 2016 at 21:08 Quote
So fast forward a few months and I'm looking to buy a fork now. I did a full service on my 2011 float 36 RC2 and tweeked it till I got it dialed and it feels damned good. Seems like the perfect time to ditch it for a new one.

Pretty sure I'm just going to do a 2016 Fox 27.5 Float36 RC2 again. Compared it to a Pike and Lyric and It seems to be top, Anyone riding this fork?

Posted: Apr 17, 2016 at 21:17 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
So fast forward a few months and I'm looking to buy a fork now. I did a full service on my 2011 float 36 RC2 and tweeked it till I got it dialed and it feels damned good. Seems like the perfect time to ditch it for a new one.

Pretty sure I'm just going to do a 2016 Fox 27.5 Float36 RC2 again. Compared it to a Pike and Lyric and It seems to be top, Anyone riding this fork?

Just got the new Lyrik 160mm dual air, RCT3, and will test it in a few weeks. I also have a 2016 Fox Float 36 on my FS bike, so I can compare them. All the reviews on the new Lyrik say they are the best fork Rockshox makes....

Posted: Apr 17, 2016 at 22:33 Quote
I have the same Fox Talas fork, but 2015. I like it overall, but was disappointed to find out that the volume compression can't be adjusted on it like on the Float. Not really directly comparable with the Float because of this IMO. It has a bit more dive under braking in the long travel position than I'd like. It works well otherwise.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 14:19 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
I have the same Fox Talas fork, but 2015. I like it overall, but was disappointed to find out that the volume compression can't be adjusted on it like on the Float. Not really directly comparable with the Float because of this IMO. It has a bit more dive under braking in the long travel position than I'd like. It works well otherwise.

Which travel 36 do you have? My desire is either a 180mm TALAS or a 180 DP Lyrik

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 14:23 Quote
MWasson wrote:
dirtrider76 wrote:

Just got the new Lyrik 160mm dual air, RCT3, and will test it in a few weeks. I also have a 2016 Fox Float 36 on my FS bike, so I can compare them. All the reviews on the new Lyrik say they are the best fork Rockshox makes....

Can you provide an update on the Lyrik? I had an old 160 DP Lyrik that I really liked and used the travel adjust ALL THE TIME. I had that fork on an Intense 5.5 and then my FS tandem and it made a huge difference in both cases with keeping the fron from wandering. I just bought a long travel tandem and want a 180mm adjustable travel fork. Fox officially discontinued TALAS but will custum build one if you ask (180/140. The Lyrik is of course the other option 180/150.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026463
Mobile Version of Website