Do you prepare your bike for winter conditions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Do you prepare your bike for winter conditions?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 11:29 Quote
I ride enduro bike and I wonder if there is something special what I should do to make my bike ride as good and smooth as in sommer? Now I have about 0 to -5 degrees in Celsius. Should I put some more air pressure in my fork or tires? Do you have any other useful tips?
Cheers

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 11:44 Quote
increasing air pressure won't make it ride any smoother, but you may need to add air to maintain your normal pressure. The cold temps may make your fork or shock damping slower (so it's harsher), so I usually speed up my compression and rebound a bit.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 12:16 Quote
that is good idea to speed up compression instead increasing air pressure! thanks mate.

Posted: Jan 20, 2016 at 15:36 Quote
Fenders and wet chain lube.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 8:05 Quote
wet chain lube yes, but fenders...NO:-)

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 12:13 Quote
Look into Mudhugger fenders. The front doesnt look like its there and the rear blends nicely too.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 12:25 Quote
There's no such thing as "speeding up" compression or rebound wrt adjustment. You are either increasing or decreasing the adjustment setting.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 18:23 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
There's no such thing as "speeding up" compression or rebound wrt adjustment. You are either increasing or decreasing the adjustment setting.
I was just throwing out my suggestion to the OP, not looking to get into a semantic argument.

Some brands (like RS) put "rabbit" and "turtle" icons next to the rebound damping adjuster, so maybe they didn't get your memo.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 18:33 Quote
It was neither semantic nor an argument. It simply doesn't make sense.

Instead of all that, why not just state what you mean the correct way? Because despite have fairly extensive experience with suspension dampers more sophisticated than anything used on a bicycle, what you originally wrote leaves me totally in the dark about which direction you are suggesting to adjust toward.

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 3:19 Quote
Use dry not wet lube on the chain. It doesn't last as long but it also doesn't turn in to grinding paste in the mud

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 10:04 Quote
endurodave wrote:
Use dry not wet lube on the chain. It doesn't last as long but it also doesn't turn in to grinding paste in the mud
you should clean it after nasty rides, but wet lube is for wet conditions

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 10:06 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
endurodave wrote:
you should clean it after nasty rides, but wet lube is for wet conditions

Each to their own. I have both and rarely see the benefit of wet lube.

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 14:04 Quote
Dry lube won't, that's why any knowledgable lubrication engineer will recommend wet lube including/especially for muddy conditions

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 Quote
I ALWAYS use wet lube.

1 drop per bushing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018714
Mobile Version of Website