Fox 36's are harsh

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 22:25 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Doesn't appear to be a 2017 change by Fox

Have you seen the internals of the 2017 line yet? I've not....

Haven't seen, but instead read descriptions that only indicate a low speed valving stack change to further address and refine the issue.

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 23:37 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Doesn't appear to be a 2017 change by Fox

Have you seen the internals of the 2017 line yet? I've not....

Haven't seen, but instead read descriptions that only indicate a low speed valving stack change to further address and refine the issue.

Not seen any details yet. I heard that they were changing the shim stack (to E-16 tune), putting a softer air spring seal in and potentially increasing the negative chamber size. But maybe not?

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 0:11 Quote
Has anyone with 2015 or 2016 Fox 36's found air pressure building up in the outer air spring leg. This can be tested by inserting a zip tie between the lip of the seal and the stantion. I think there must be a problem with mine with air passing from the air shaft seal from the negative chamber.

When I release the air in the outer leg, the fork feels amazing for 1 ride, then it builds up again... has anyone else found this?

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 0:20 Quote
Seems to be an issue on the Float, haven't had it happen on my Talas

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 0:27 Quote
Yes mine is a float too (180 rc2 float 2016)

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:

Are You still happy with your modification?

My fork are 36 160 FIT (rc2)
Im at 50psi sag at allmost 20%
with LSC and HSC at full open
178lbs + gear

it is very plush ...
but Im wondering why Im at the end of ajustment and at so low pressure

for big stuff I have to click a few clicks back

i did the zip tie trick
but havent ridden it since

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 7:24 Quote
MrJakobsen wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

178lbs + gear

it is very plush ...

i did the zip tie trick

The modification makes the fork slightly less harsh, buy not as nice as my BOS Devilles.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 8:12 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
MrJakobsen wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

178lbs + gear

it is very plush ...

i did the zip tie trick

The modification makes the fork slightly less harsh, buy not as nice as my BOS Devilles.
I guess the mod should be done in the damper instead of the airspring ? or both ?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
Has anyone with 2015 or 2016 Fox 36's found air pressure building up in the outer air spring leg. This can be tested by inserting a zip tie between the lip of the seal and the stantion. I think there must be a problem with mine with air passing from the air shaft seal from the negative chamber.

When I release the air in the outer leg, the fork feels amazing for 1 ride, then it builds up again... has anyone else found this?

According to this recent post the air seals were updated to fix that problem

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2015-fox-36-a-914572-38.html#post12611102

However, I also want to ask if you had the exact same issue before you modified the negative chamber?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 10:34 Quote
We have had the same problems with the fork in South africa , some problems with them are just ridiculous

and the third party supplier is being a real DICK about it , taking two weeks + returning the forks and they just saying people have them locked out when riding "Really??"

They think someone who buys a fox 36 does not know how to lock and unlock a fork

I ride rockshox and always will be, It just ticks me off when people get skrewed like this (I have riden Fox and do think they are amazing just prefer rockshox)

Good luck to everyone

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 22:20 Quote
What settings are you using on your 36? I think I got my 36 dialed in pretty good after 8 months of riding on it. I set up my fork for tech, hard hitting with semi-aggressive riding, going mediumish speed. So, if I'm riding fire roads then my fork will feel shitty. It's always a compromise but I'd rather have my fork set up for the gnar since I love that sh*t!

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 7:38 Quote
MrJakobsen wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
MrJakobsen wrote:

178lbs + gear

it is very plush ...

i did the zip tie trick

I guess the mod should be done in the damper instead of the airspring ? or both ?

The modification I did was on the airspring, to increase the negative volume. Other modifications to the damper are available such as PUSH, Andreani etc...

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 7:52 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

According to this recent post the air seals were updated to fix that problem

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2015-fox-36-a-914572-38.html#post12611102

However, I also want to ask if you had the exact same issue before you modified the negative chamber?

Yes, I had air transfer problems before doing the negative spring mod and after. I've got the new air spring seal from Mojo and just fitted at the weekend and I put the fork back to standard negative spring volume, so I could feel if the fork was more sensitive with the softer rubber. I can say it wasn't any more plush. But I believe the softer seal is to address a different problem - the positive air passing to the negative chamber and reducing travel (sucking down). Mojo also said that in most cases this can be addressed by wiping excess grease off the air piston seal, just leaving a slither of grease on there...

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 8:03 Quote
Most people report that the air pressure buildup occurs after several rides. With you reporting it occurring after only one ride seems to suggest a more extreme situation. Seems like something more is going on with your fork compared to others.

Posted: May 4, 2016 at 5:25 Quote
Try giving your inner legs\ stantions some silicone lubricant.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022109
Mobile Version of Website