Steel vs. Aluminum in flexability

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Steel vs. Aluminum in flexability
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
is there any reason to be worried about getting a snapped-in-half aluminum top tube in the gut though when hitting big jumps? (not 8' like someone said, but 20-30')

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 20:04 Quote
Well kind of. The thing is, Alu is a guud metat to make buked from. It works well manufacturing, theres tonnes of it around, easily recycled ect.. From riding it makes a good stiff frame. They can be made lighter than steel, and can be made to feel comparable to steel. The problem is that a frame like that will have a short life time. So when you see can (name pro here) blasting 30' doubs on an Alu frame you need to realize he will have a new frame next month. If you buy a new frame every year you will probably never have a problem with an Alu frame. If you are a big heavy guy that can break a new frame then I'd say stay away from Alu alltogether. Alu does not suck you just need to know if it's right for you.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 2:49 Quote
i've ridden both and there's no difference which you could feel.

i alway hear people talk about alu sucks, steel is da bomb. but i've broke/bent more steel frames than alu frames Razz

it's more about how the frame is made, how it's welded, material thickness, good gussets and stuff Wink

my preference goes out for alu, because it's lighter (my planet-x zebdi frame weights 1800g!!!Eek Pimp (i weight it myself))

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 Quote
There is a differens, and you can feel it!! alot. i have ridden both steel, alu and carbon fiber, frame in road cycling. and alu is the stiffest! so they accellerate faster!!

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:28 Quote
It all depends on the Quality of the Company who has made it. EG. A Santa Cruz Alu is obviously stronger than Steel Walmart bike...

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:32 Quote
That is because a walmart steel bike, its made by haiten steel. the cheapest steel on the marked! better frames are butted, it means the tubes are different thiknes.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:34 Quote
I know - The fact that you get different types of steel and aluminium confuses me greatly Frown

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:46 Quote
I think in alu the cheapest is 6060 alu and 6160 is much lighter, and the lightest is tripple butted 6160 alu (:

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 3:55 Quote
Thue wrote:
I think in alu the cheapest is 6060 alu and 6160 is much lighter, and the lightest is tripple butted 6160 alu (:

What is a Jackal made from Blank Stare

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 4:03 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
Thue wrote:

What is a Jackal made from Blank Stare
i think just 6160, i dont think its butted

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 4:11 Quote
Good, At least it isn't bottom range Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 4:42 Quote
spongebomb wrote:
i've ridden both and there's no difference which you could feel.

i alway hear people talk about alu sucks, steel is da bomb. but i've broke/bent more steel frames than alu frames Razz

it's more about how the frame is made, how it's welded, material thickness, good gussets and stuff Wink

my preference goes out for alu, because it's lighter (my planet-x zebdi frame weights 1800g!!!Eek Pimp (i weight it myself))

you can definately feel the difference between alu and steel. alu feels chattery and harsh whereas steel feels less harsh

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 4:46 Quote
alloy is best for full sus frames as it has to be built oversized therefore creating a stiffer frame and platform for the suspension.

alloy hardtails on the other hand are less forgiving and you have to take smoother lines.

steel has a lovely feel to it just enough twang to take out the buzz.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 5:04 Quote
I cant remember if its an alu p2 or p3 but my mates got one with a rigid fork on it and it sounds horrible, real clunky and theres no wobble in the headset or anything like that. apparently its the 'vibrations' going through the frame from the fork????
dunno, sounds like shit, trait of alu? thoughts?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018637
Mobile Version of Website