Kids Mountain Bike - Which would you buy?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Kids Mountain Bike - Which would you buy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 13:05 Quote
I have 8 year old twin girls and am currently considering either a Norco Storm 4.1 or a Specialized Riprock 24. Both are the same price. I am wondering which would be considered the better bike from a specs/components perspective. What are everyone's thoughts on these options? My girls will mostly be singletrack riding, or on some very basic bridges....basically just starting to learn to rip!

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/kids/riprock-24-/115912

http://m.norco.com/bikes/youth/24-inch/storm-24-girls/storm-41-girls/

Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 0:51 Quote
Hey Tonto,

Noticed that no one replied to your post. I bought my 8 year old daughter the Riprock mostly to support my local bike shop which hasn't carried Norco since the 90's. After just looking at her bike they seem similarly spec'd except for one thing the tire width. With the limited suspension and the fact that she was already ripping around on her smaller bike as far as rolling resistance I went with the Riprock compared to other Specialized etc. offerings. She can ride her much older sister's Redline anniversary 24 Proline that I rebuilt for myself if she wants to go fast quick.

For the little bit rougher and rockier single track and those oops. the mid fat tires are really nice (especially with the ability to drop and raise tire tire pressure which is a great lesson). We went for a fast ride the other week on a trail I often pinch flat on if my pressure is too low and I was sure one of the rocks would get her and they didn't. The best part is tonight she called me and asked when are we going to ride the other trail I thought she was too tired to hit.

p.s. great to see another dad getting her daughter out and thanks I might just download a black and white I stopped to take.

Posted: Apr 25, 2016 at 14:19 Quote
Hello, I'm shopping for my sons next bike as well and wondered if the 2.8 tires would make the riprock great for trails, but slow when he's on the street with friends? Any thoughts?

sitkawolfe wrote:
Hey Tonto,

Noticed that no one replied to your post. I bought my 8 year old daughter the Riprock mostly to support my local bike shop which hasn't carried Norco since the 90's. After just looking at her bike they seem similarly spec'd except for one thing the tire width. With the limited suspension and the fact that she was already ripping around on her smaller bike as far as rolling resistance I went with the Riprock compared to other Specialized etc. offerings. She can ride her much older sister's Redline anniversary 24 Proline that I rebuilt for myself if she wants to go fast quick.

For the little bit rougher and rockier single track and those oops. the mid fat tires are really nice (especially with the ability to drop and raise tire tire pressure which is a great lesson). We went for a fast ride the other week on a trail I often pinch flat on if my pressure is too low and I was sure one of the rocks would get her and they didn't. The best part is tonight she called me and asked when are we going to ride the other trail I thought she was too tired to hit.

p.s. great to see another dad getting her daughter out and thanks I might just download a black and white I stopped to take.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 17:10 Quote
I bought a diamondback syncr 24 or the line..either is pretty good and disc brakes, only change was 10spd, also have a Cannondale 24 for the other son, he isn't as aggressive so lower spec was ok, weight is close, but cdale had old thread on cassette...so not worth upgrading, though the frame is disc compatible, best bet is to buy one with higher end for upgradeability, they all come with heavier spec...the fork on the diamondback works for his 55lb weight though, cheap fork on cdale moves....upgraded dback to older air fork or women's specific with light spring. Tora lefemme and he is all smiles, now I just have to switch forks on the Cannondale

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010457
Mobile Version of Website