Powered by Outside

Going tubeless. Pros and Cons?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Going tubeless. Pros and Cons?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
Hey guys I'm getting ready to convert mine to a tubeless set up and I wanted to ask what problems you run into and if you truly recommend switching from tubes to tubeless. I have tubeless ready rims and I will buy tubeless specific Tires just wanted to know if anyone ran into some issues with leaks or flats and how easy it is to fix a flat out on the trail. I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything anywhere and thought I would check here. Also wanted to ask if there was any noticeable difference in ride or ride quality.

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 18:44 Quote
C-los wrote:
Hey guys I'm getting ready to convert mine to a tubeless set up and I wanted to ask what problems you run into and if you truly recommend switching from tubes to tubeless. I have tubeless ready rims and I will buy tubeless specific Tires just wanted to know if anyone ran into some issues with leaks or flats and how easy it is to fix a flat out on the trail. I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything anywhere and thought I would check here. Also wanted to ask if there was any noticeable difference in ride or ride quality.

Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality? Yes. The first time I went out I was shocked at how much better the ride was. With tubes, I would run anywhere from 35 to 45 psi. Now that it's tubeless, I'm at 25 to 30 psi. The lower pressure makes a huge difference, in my opinion. Since converting, I've never actually had a flat out on the trails so that's never been an issue. The biggest negative that I can think of is working on tires with sealant can be messy, and that you have to top off the wheel every 3 to 6 months with more sealant. You will need a relatively good floor pump and/or air compressor to seat the bead, also. Other than that, going tubeless has been great!

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 23:32 Quote
Thanks. I knew there should be some advantages and I want to make sure that they are not too much trouble to maintain. I had worried about being far out on the trails and having issues. I assume that a regular tube could be used to get out of trouble if needed after going tubeless. Other question is if a mini pump gulf get you back if that is all you had?
Sorry. I know that's a lot of what if. But as we all know, riding bikes things happen when you least expect / plan for them.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 0:42 Quote
C-los wrote:
Thanks. I knew there should be some advantages and I want to make sure that they are not too much trouble to maintain. I had worried about being far out on the trails and having issues. I assume that a regular tube could be used to get out of trouble if needed after going tubeless. Other question is if a mini pump gulf get you back if that is all you had?
Sorry. I know that's a lot of what if. But as we all know, riding bikes things happen when you least expect / plan for them.

yes, if you have a problem out on the trails, the best thing to do is just throw a regular tube in and pump it back up. So even if you're running tubeless tires, you should still carry one or two spare tubes and some way to inflate them just in case.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 16:21 Quote
I've been tubeless since 2013 and I won't look back. I have not had one snake-bite (because they can't happen) and only one flat. The flat I had was from a rock garden and the tire was torn. Would have flated wih a tube anyways. I had a tube on me, patched the tire and rode down the mountain.

As far as setup, I do not recommend Stan's tape. I perfer gorilla tape as it lasts longer and can be cut to width better. I also like to use Orange Sealnet, I think it seals faster and lasts longer but it is just me. If you have a problem inflating your tires, you may need a compressor or something like this (link below) or you can try adding a extra wrap of tape around your rim. I always start with 2 wraps over lapping by a few inches.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/airshot-review.html

Fixing on the side of a trail: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-evo-aerothan-innertube-review-2016.html
Any tube would work. I carry just one tube (chreapest i can find) with me on short rides just incase.

Ride quality, yes there is a change. You can run lower pressure in the tires so that should tell you how to adjust your suspension if needed. If you run the same pressure, they really isn't that big of a difference.

Check YouTube for gettho install vids. There are a few good ones out there.

Undergoing the Spank formation

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 1:23 Quote
Tubeless since 2011 and never had any flats whatsoever - with the old Bontrager green slimy stuff (which I can't find anymore here in EU).

However just 2 days ago punctured the sidewall in a 29" Ground Control tire and Stan's just didn't work. All the air pissed out and had to install an inner tube, scoop out the goo, etc. f*cking mess.

What sealant are you all using?...

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 3:42 Quote
Using Stans. I ordered some new tires and should be having it done today. I am hoping it's worth the effort. Read many good things about going tubeless so I will see how it works. I'll post up again after I give them a few rides to test them out.

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 3:44 Quote
C-los wrote:
Using Stans. I ordered some new tires and should be having it done today. I am hoping it's worth the effort. Read many good things about going tubeless so I will see how it works. I'll post up again after I give them a few rides to test them out.

I've never been as happy since switching to tubeless. Maybe my last incident is just a freak event, who knows.

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 5:18 Quote
Definitely go tubeless. Better small bump compliance, better traction, less flats. Get some quality tires and be diligent about your tire pressure and you'll never look back.

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 13:16 Quote
Guys I have an xc bike that I use on the road for commuting as well as playing on the trails. I usually run 45+ psi on the road and then lower for weekend playing. Is going tubeless going to let me do this or am I better staying on tubes?

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 17:21 Quote
Xcsean wrote:
Guys I have an xc bike that I use on the road for commuting as well as playing on the trails. I usually run 45+ psi on the road and then lower for weekend playing. Is going tubeless going to let me do this or am I better staying on tubes?

Stan's says not to inflate non-tubeless tires above 40 psi, when they're run without a tube:

Important: Never inflate any tire without a tube above 40psi unless it is specifically labeled for tubeless use.

http://www.notubes.com/literature/EIS-011_ZTR_Rim_and_Wheelset_Instructions_BST_Series.pdf

I think the answer is, it depends on what kind of tires you're running?

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 22:51 Quote
Or maybe what search engine you are or likely are not using wrt a well detailed old subject ... Google is good! Try it, you might just like it ...

stuff like tubeless road bike tires require much higher pressures than MTB tires, blah, blah, blah ..

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 6:50 Quote
Tubeless and never looking back.

Pros: Can run Lower pressure = more grip, no more pinch flats and flats, reduce rotational weight for lighter tires, no more $ on tubes

Cons: tubeless tires are more expensive, takes more time to mount, more time to repair on trail, messy with sealant if working in the living room, probably should own an air compressor to make life easier

Repairing on the trail isn't difficult, I once ran into a bunch of thorns and you can hear my tires go "SSSSSSSSSSSSssss", I just rolled the tires so the sealant rested on it and a few minutes later it stopped, I just pumped my tire back up to pressure and was on my way. If you gash your sidewall or something, put a business card or patch on the inside and inflate up with a tube.

I always carry 2 tubes on my rides, 1 for me and maybe someone else I run into that may need it! tup

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
The new Aerothan tube from Schwalbe seems interesting, though a bit pricey

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/schwalbe-evotube.html

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 8:46 Quote
Having a proper air compressor makes tubeless less hassle. You end up spending more than with tubes as cut a tyre and unless you revert to tubes it's now junk. Also it's surprising how much fluid you go through, I need to top up maxxis high roller 2 TR's really frequently like every month as it seems to soak through the side walls, leave the bike for a week and the tyres look like they are sweating. Schwalbe tyres use way less fluid I've found, in fact hardly any except when again I've cut them on Flint.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019629
Mobile Version of Website