Scratched stanchion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Scratched stanchion
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 4:57 Quote
Lads got a question for you's

Today I found that one of my flatmates has dropped my bike on it's side and now there's a large gouge taken out of my fork (Pike). And no, nobody has owned up.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement CSU or have them professionly repaired in Europe? I don't think I'm ken to try an fix with nail polish and sandpaper as it's such a big fecking gouge.

Would be of great bebnefir if somebody could help us out as I'm planning to go racing in Europe for the summer

Cheer

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 5:15 Quote
fisher outdoors is the u.k sram place or try TF tuned

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 5:42 Quote
first of all make sure it's just a scratch and not dented???(you made it sound like it got hit by something pretty hard)

2nd....take a really fine file, or polishing stone,or even really fine sand paper, and break all the sharp edges.....

3rd....clean with alcohol really good....

4th... mix up some kinda 2 part epoxy and fill in the hole as best as possible...
something like this..

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_weld_t/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Weld-Bonding-Compound.htm

then use your finger and make it as close to smooth as you can get......then let it dry...

5th....now make it really smooth using a fine file again,or anything like i mention above^^^...

thats all i do.....it won't look perfect but it shouldn't leak air either , and thats really all you're trying to accomplishSmile

it will NOT look pretty when you are done...ESPECIALLY when repairing a black stanchionFrown
but it be mechanically fine if you take your time and make it nice and smooth....

I recommend a fine file and some kinda polishing stone....IF you use sand paper??? make sure you place it on something flat before sanding it......make sure it's REALLY FINE TOO...i'm talking like WET SAND PAPER..

good luck ...

PS..i even used a polishing wheel on my dremel tool, along with some polishing compound for cars, to make it super smooth when i was finished..it worked out pretty well....

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 6:01 Quote
redman733 wrote:
first of all make sure it's just a scratch and not dented???(you made it sound like it got hit by something pretty hard)

2nd....take a really fine file, or polishing stone,or even really fine sand paper, and break all the sharp edges.....

3rd....clean with alcohol really good....

4th... mix up some kinda 2 part epoxy and fill in the hole as best as possible...
something like this..

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_weld_t/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Weld-Bonding-Compound.htm

then use your finger and make it as close to smooth as you can get......then let it dry...

5th....now make it really smooth using a fine file again,or anything like i mention above^^^...

thats all i do.....it won't look perfect but it shouldn't leak air either , and thats really all you're trying to accomplishSmile

it will NOT look pretty when you are done...ESPECIALLY when repairing a black stanchionFrown
but it be mechanically fine if you take your time and make it nice and smooth....

I recommend a fine file and some kinda polishing stone....IF you use sand paper??? make sure you place it on something flat before sanding it......make sure it's REALLY FINE TOO...i'm talking like WET SAND PAPER..

good luck ...

PS..i even used a polishing wheel on my dremel tool, along with some polishing compound for cars, to make it super smooth when i was finished..it worked out pretty well....

Cheers for all the info. I do have 1 or 2 questions. How do you mean placing it on something flat? Also I have read that you can you black nail polish and then sand it down with wet sand paper. Any advice??

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 6:16 Quote
something like this...but on a much smaller scale
like a popsicle stick maybe? or a metal fingernail file ??

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/TTSandingBlock.jpg

it's only to keep it nice and flat when sanding with sand paper.....you will be able to feel when you are taking off material that is high,,,,,the block keeps it nice and even with the undamaged part of your stanchion as you are smoothing it out...
when you are done is will be perfectly even with the undamaged part of the stanchion = no air leaking out Smile

google sanding block...

nail polish is fine for small repairs...

i personally have had better luck using epoxy thats all...

good luck Smile

oh, and if you are going to spend $300 plus on a new CSU ??
why not give this a try first, you have nothing to loseSmile
you might even surprise yourself...

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 17:44 Quote
I've got a couple good scratches and even a small ding (on the highest part of the stanchion where it doesn't go into the lowers) and I've smoothed them out to where you cannot feel them. That's the mostly free way and my seals don't leak at all. I'd give that a shot before replacement unless you think it's very structural.

Use chain lube and the highest grit sandpaper and rub over the spot. If it's deep you can fill in using the above methods. Then put some metal polish over the spot and you should be good to go. Unfortunately where I live and how I ride scratches are very common to forks and the idea of dropping $300 on new uppers is depressing.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008837
Mobile Version of Website