2016 Giant Reign Suspension Bearings

PB Forum :: Giant
2016 Giant Reign Suspension Bearings
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know the bearing numbers for a 2016 Reign?

I can't find the information anywhere and would prefer the new bearings to hand before I take it apart.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 22:33 Quote
I just took all the suspension apart yesterday. I pried the seals off all of the bearings and regreased them. The bearings around the drivetrain were especially notchy after one season of very hard and wet use.

I neglected to write down numbers unfortunately. But I can tell you this:

1. First, the Reign only takes two sizes of bearings.

2. The bearings on the top rocker link are all the same size. This includes the bearings for the top of the shock.

3. The bearings for the bottom rocker links are all the same size. This includes the bearings for the bottom of the shock.

From what I recall, the bearings are FSA branded, and the size is written on them. This means that all you need to do is take the shock off the bike to see the size of the two bearings you need! Neat!

I think you need 6 of the smaller bearings that fit on the top rocker link, and 8 of the larger bearings from the bottom rocker links.

If you need help disassembling the suspension, I can give you pointers.

I think Giant sells the bearings only together with all of the suspension bolts. I think the bottom and top kits are $60 each from my Canadian LBS, so it's $120 total.

You can probably order the bearings cheaper from Enduro Bearings or just go to your local bearing shop. Find the most weather proof bearings possible. Performance doesn't matter as much since there's so little rotation in suspension.

Hope this helps!

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 at 17:15 Quote
ok......bearing quality DOES matter. I own a 2016 reign 2 and right out of the box i was noticing crazy upper linkage flex back and forth. The problem with these bikes.......and i love giant........is they 1- housed the bearing in the rocker plate instead of the main frame. 2-used shitty bearings and 3- did not use a one piece rocker ....like the lower one....but instead used 2 separate plates to make up the upper rocker.

Upon taking the frame apart i found that the bearings in the rocker plate had a serious amount of play, but thats normal for a typical sealed ball bearing, they just located them in the wrong place, if they had been in the main frame there would be no flex. So ....the solution......What are called full compliment bearings, these bearings have no inner nylon cage instead they are packed full with balls. not only that but the bearing race tolerances are much tighter. these bearings are specifically designed for minimal rotation suspension applications. they are not cheap but they are the way to go to fix problems such as these. a company called shockcraft offers them .........learn

http://www.shockcraft.co.nz/bearings-bushings/suspension-bearings/suspension-bearing-kits/giant-bearing-kits/reign-2015-16

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
blamo wrote:
I just took all the suspension apart yesterday. I pried the seals off all of the bearings and regreased them. The bearings around the drivetrain were especially notchy after one season of very hard and wet use.

I neglected to write down numbers unfortunately. But I can tell you this:

1. First, the Reign only takes two sizes of bearings.

2. The bearings on the top rocker link are all the same size. This includes the bearings for the top of the shock.

3. The bearings for the bottom rocker links are all the same size. This includes the bearings for the bottom of the shock.

From what I recall, the bearings are FSA branded, and the size is written on them. This means that all you need to do is take the shock off the bike to see the size of the two bearings you need! Neat!

I think you need 6 of the smaller bearings that fit on the top rocker link, and 8 of the larger bearings from the bottom rocker links.

If you need help disassembling the suspension, I can give you pointers.

I think Giant sells the bearings only together with all of the suspension bolts. I think the bottom and top kits are $60 each from my Canadian LBS, so it's $120 total.

You can probably order the bearings cheaper from Enduro Bearings or just go to your local bearing shop. Find the most weather proof bearings possible. Performance doesn't matter as much since there's so little rotation in suspension.

Hope this helps!

The above is completely incorrect I'm afraid.

A 2015/6/7 Reign 27.5 has 6 rocker plate bearings (2 different types) and 6 lower Maestro link pivot bearings (2 different types).

The standard bearing markings are as follows:

6802VRS x 4 Bottom of shock/front Maestro link pivot (2 in frame, 2 in Maestro link)
6902VRS x 2 Rear Maestro link/chainstay pivot
608VRS x 2 Top of shock/front of rocker plate pivot
6900VRS x 4 Rocker plate/seat tube pivot and rear rocker plate/seat stay pivot

Totally agree with bodia, there is a lot of play in the rocker plate central pivot bearing, and full compliment bearings are definitely the way forward.
Enduro Max bearings are readily available, designed specifically for partial rotation load bearing use, and they have all the sizes to fit.
https://www.endurobearings.com/products/bearings/max/

I found that the central rocker pivot bearings (not very well sealed behind bearing) and the rear Maestro link pivot bearings (get the worst of the crap off the back wheel) were very rough (1 lower had seized) with around 10 months of regular use from new. The rest were in reasonable condition.

6802VRS x 4 Bottom of shock front Maestro link pivot 2 in frame 2 in Maestro link 6902VRS x 2 Rear Maestro link chainstay pivot
  2016 Reign 1 27.5 Bearing sizes

608VRS x 2 Top of shock front of rocker plate pivot 6900VRS x 4 Rocker plate seat tube pivot and rear rocker plate seat stay pivot
  2016 Reign 1 27.5 Bearing sizes

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD 2016

Main triangle (TPX)
6802VRS - 2 pcs
24x15x5

Upper link (FSA)
608V-RS - 4 pcs
22x8x7

Lower link (FSA)
6802V-RS - 2 pcs
24x15x5

Headset (FSA)
OverDrive2
Lower
TH MR1271.5 36'x45'L5
51.8x40x8

Upper
TH MR1221-1/8 36'x45'K5
41.5x30.2x6.5

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 3:19 Quote
Did you manage to change them (extract and insert new ones) with simple press? like RRP tool http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/products/tools/bpet.html ?

are all areas/surfaces easily accessible/flat ?

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 3:13 Quote
roythebhoy wrote:
Illustration of Giant Reign 2016 bearings
about 6900VRS - where did it came from??
I just disassembled the whole frame and looked through all the bearings (and posted them up ih this thread).

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
ka81 wrote:
roythebhoy wrote:
Illustration of Giant Reign 2016 bearings
about 6900VRS - where did it came from??
I just disassembled the whole frame and looked through all the bearings (and posted them up ih this thread).

Just replaced these 6900VRS bearings after 2 years of good service. They’re on the rocker as per my image. Def 6900VRS

Posted: Mar 25, 2021 at 3:53 Quote
Hi all, I'm a bit late to the party
Does anyone know which spacers go where on the 2014-16 reign pivot assembly? I believe I've switched one around which made the play I was seeking to eliminate worse Madder . The one on the upper shock pivot is where the problem's coming from I think...

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 16:28 Quote
Philibert wrote:
Does anyone know which spacers go where on the 2014-16 reign pivot assembly? I believe I've switched one around which made the play I was seeking to eliminate worse Madder . The one on the upper shock pivot is where the problem's coming from I think...
Did you sort this? Mine's apart right now, I can look tonight and take a picture for you?

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 4:28 Quote
Wizeartz wrote:
Philibert wrote:
Did you sort this? Mine's apart right now, I can look tonight and take a picture for you?

I have the same question. I think when I last disassembled mine I must have put the washers/spacers in incorrectly. Pictures would be great!

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
If y'all never resolved this here is a link that shows where all the hardware goes.

http://www.sykkel.com/bruksanvisninger/MY16_tech_manual_mtb_full.pdf

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
Thanks lucho8486. Would anyone have the Giant PDF with torque settings for the bolts too for a 2016 Advanced? I've emailed Giant but not getting any response from them.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
lucho8486 wrote:
Wizeartz wrote:
Philibert wrote:

I have the same question. I think when I last disassembled mine I must have put the washers/spacers in incorrectly. Pictures would be great!

I have the same question! I just took the two bolts of the rear linkage apart (the bolts closest to the rear tire on the rear upper linkage) and I believe I saw two washers/spacers fall out of the left side (if you are sitting on the bike) the link to the PDF is great, except the MY16 Reign is super blurry! All of the other bikes are fine haha! I believe it is just one spacer on each side (placed between linkage and the rear triangle) but I wanted to see if anyone else can help. Thanks!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008495
Mobile Version of Website