marzocchi shiver help!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
marzocchi shiver help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
i need some help with my setup. basically last time i rode i flipped over the bars because the tire hit the bottom crown. after measuring and adjusting, the whole front end, i came to realize that the upper and lower crowns are too far apart. so im pretty sure i need to get a different headset, one that is thinner. any help or input would be great.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 11:07 Quote
RiZZleRaZZ wrote:
i need some help with my setup. basically last time i rode i flipped over the bars because the tire hit the bottom crown. after measuring and adjusting, the whole front end, i came to realize that the upper and lower crowns are too far apart. so im pretty sure i need to get a different headset, one that is thinner. any help or input would be great.
You need to take it to a PRO! Have them assess the problems FIRST... Then make a decision... Don't touch a damn thing... you may have done more than smashed your headset... Madder

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 11:09 Quote
try smaller tires Big Grin

Mod
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
It has nothing to do with the headset. It has to do with where the crowns are placed on the fork.

I know that this is not a Shiver but pretend it is. If you have a stanction tune that looks like that then the tire is going to hit the crown.
photo

This is my Shiver. Do you see how little of a gap there is between the top crown and the stanction tube? There is honestly less than a fingernail width. This is how a Shiver should be ridden if their travel has not been reduced. There are markings on the top of the Shiver that will tell you where your crowns should be if you have the maximum travel or less than that and where to move the crowns to so the tire has adequate clearance.
<Deleted photo>

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
no i didnt smash anything at all. i moved the forks down as far as i could with it still being within the ok placement. but still is not enough. i think it is the headset because the crowns are too far apart from what they are supposed to be. it really couldnt be anything else....could it?

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 17:35 Quote
RiZZleRaZZ wrote:
no i didnt smash anything at all. i moved the forks down as far as i could with it still being within the ok placement. but still is not enough. i think it is the headset because the crowns are too far apart from what they are supposed to be. it really couldnt be anything else....could it?
do you have any spacers under your stem?

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
no i took them out

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
SIMPLE

your steer tube is cut TOO short

youyr pretty much f*cked buddy

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:13 Quote
well thats not good news. how would it being longer affect it............i really appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks alot

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
maybe ur lbs would take it from u and give u some cash. you could always sell it for cheep to an unsuspecting customer

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
longer steerer ube allows you to extend your forks past the frame to allow clearance

happened to my buddys shivers after the steerer was cut

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
you may just need to get a new steer tube or bottom crown

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013066
Mobile Version of Website