How to lower Argyle 318

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to lower Argyle 318
Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 4:06 Quote
right , i want to lower some argyle 318's , its lowers the a2c height right , for each of the 10mm spacers i put in , it lowers the fork 10mm yes ?

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 8:04 Quote
liamarcher wrote:
right , i want to lower some argyle 318's , its lowers the a2c height right , for each of the 10mm spacers i put in , it lowers the fork 10mm yes ?

Yes. If you want to lower it less than what the guide describes then you have to put some preload spacers back on top. If I still had my Argyle I would have experimented with the rebound also. I'm sure that could have been tuned to a better feel. My fork knowledge was pretty limited at the time.

My advice at this point is to bet rid of the argyle. I have had a 2008 fox 32 float R now for a couple of years and I must say it is so much easier to tune. I have it set up with 60mm of travel and 160psi of spring pressure. With all that pressure I had to change the oil from 10wt to 15wt to slow down the rebound. This fork blows the argyle out of the water.

Argyle
photo

Fox(with some paint)

photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 8:51 Quote
rlee560 wrote:
liamarcher wrote:

Yes. If you want to lower it less than what the guide describes then you have to put some preload spacers back on top. If I still had my Argyle I would have experimented with the rebound also. I'm sure that could have been tuned to a better feel. My fork knowledge was pretty limited at the time.

My advice at this point is to bet rid of the argyle. I have had a 2008 fox 32 float R now for a couple of years and I must say it is so much easier to tune. I have it set up with 60mm of travel and 160psi of spring pressure. With all that pressure I had to change the oil from 10wt to 15wt to slow down the rebound. This fork blows the argyle out of the water.

Argyle
photo

Fox(with some paint)

photo

nah , ill stick with the argyle , getting it really really cheap

Posted: Mar 24, 2010 at 7:50 Quote
I lowered my Arygle 302 last night, i couldn't find any nylon spacers at the hardware stores so i took the one out from the top, sanded it down to 30mm and put that in the bottom, worked great, thanks for the write up.

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 16:21 Quote
rlee560 wrote:
lenczes wrote:
its possible to do this in argyle 302????

Yes it will work on the 302. The 318 and 302 are identical on the compression side. The 318 has the motion control which alows you to fine tune the compression.

photo

hey are ur instructions for domains too

Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 11:10 Quote
do u know how to do the same thing but with a 2009 409 fork

Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 11:39 Quote
dancharge wrote:
do u know how to do the same thing but with a 2009 409 fork

yea

At the top of forum main page you've got a big "SEARCH" button - it knows the all truth you want to know.

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
Ok, so I was lowering my Argyle 318 following the instructions. When I removed the internals, my stanchions slipped down into my lowers. Now, the stanchions will not come back out. It's like some sort of suction has been created that is keeping them down. Does anyone know how to get the stanchions back out of the lowers so that I can put the top cap back on.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 at 2:02 Quote
bikeflightactics wrote:
Ok, so I was lowering my Argyle 318 following the instructions. When I removed the internals, my stanchions slipped down into my lowers. Now, the stanchions will not come back out. It's like some sort of suction has been created that is keeping them down. Does anyone know how to get the stanchions back out of the lowers so that I can put the top cap back on.

If you have taken the bolts from the bottom of both legs (which i guess you have to take the springs etc out) and the top cap is off, put your maxle in and stand on it
with one foot while pulling up firmly on the fork crown.

There wont be aby suction as there is air openly in and out of the fork

Happens with most forks.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 at 13:52 Quote
jessejones wrote:
bikeflightactics wrote:

If you have taken the bolts from the bottom of both legs (which i guess you have to take the springs etc out) and the top cap is off, put your maxle in and stand on it
with one foot while pulling up firmly on the fork crown.

There wont be aby suction as there is air openly in and out of the fork

Happens with most forks.

Alright, so I put my maxle in the fork, stood on it and pulled up as hard as I could. I felt it starting to give a little so I pulled up harder. Then all of the sudden. WOOSH. The stanchion came up and a shitload of oil came shooting out of the top of the left stanchion and all over me. so, it worked I guess.....

Now I just need more fork oil...

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 at 1:19 Quote
bikeflightactics wrote:

Alright, so I put my maxle in the fork, stood on it and pulled up as hard as I could. I felt it starting to give a little so I pulled up harder. Then all of the sudden. WOOSH. The stanchion came up and a shitload of oil came shooting out of the top of the left stanchion and all over me. so, it worked I guess.....

Now I just need more fork oil...

Sorry, i guessed you had already taken the oil out being as you had taken your springs etc out!

You can use any fork oil, i usually use oil for motorbike forks (just because you get alot more for the same price) but i think CRC are selling pots of the stuff pretty cheap now. 10 or 15 weight is probably about the best.

Posted: May 5, 2010 at 22:00 Quote
if i wanted to lower to 100 what size spacer would i needConfused

Posted: May 6, 2010 at 3:31 Quote
freeride-assault wrote:
if i wanted to lower to 100 what size spacer would i needConfused

They come standard at 100mm...

Posted: May 8, 2010 at 21:46 Quote
How necessary is the nylon cap thing? And what mm is it?

Posted: May 10, 2010 at 22:58 Quote
Wow I feel retarded I ment 80 Dead Horse

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018551
Mobile Version of Website