How to lower Argyle 318

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to lower Argyle 318
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 at 13:02 Quote
jessejones wrote:
jdavidson wrote:
does anyone know how to fix the compression side of a fork?
i know its inthe wrong thread but i didnt feel like creating a new one

Whats the problem with it!?

turning the compression dial doesn't do anything

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 1:08 Quote
jessejones wrote:

turning the compression dial doesn't do anything[/Quote]

Is there enough oil in the compression side? It basically works by changing the amount of oil it lets through the cartridge...

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 1:16 Quote
jessejones wrote:
jessejones wrote:

Is there enough oil in the compression side? It basically works by changing the amount of oil it lets through the cartridge...[/Quote]
uhm that might be it. its always leaking on that side

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 1:39 Quote
jdavidson wrote:
jessejones wrote:
jessejones wrote:

Is there enough oil in the compression side? It basically works by changing the amount of oil it lets through the cartridge...
uhm that might be it. its always leaking on that side[/Quote]

Probably will be that then! I dont have mine anymore and I'm not sure on exact measurements, have a look on the website or if you have manual for them it'll be in there!

Posted: Sep 30, 2010 at 13:05 Quote
bought a argyle 318 (with pike lowers , but that doesnt make a difference as the lowers are the same) , was told the rebound adjustment (blue nob ontop of the right leg) leaks a little , should that make a difference to them being hard ???

they turned up , package soaked with oil , and i presume very little oil inside ,
i have got the correct weight oil to put back in , and know the right amount , if i put more than the reccomended amount / weight of oil in , will it make it "stiffer" as in harder to bottom ?
can you get stiffer springs for them (inside the left leg)? , if so where from ? ,does it matter that theyve been lowered to 80mm ?

any help would be good , know bugger all about sus really , so any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 0:13 Quote
liamarcher wrote:
bought a argyle 318 (with pike lowers , but that doesnt make a difference as the lowers are the same) , was told the rebound adjustment (blue nob ontop of the right leg) leaks a little , should that make a difference to them being hard ???

they turned up , package soaked with oil , and i presume very little oil inside ,
i have got the correct weight oil to put back in , and know the right amount , if i put more than the reccomended amount / weight of oil in , will it make it "stiffer" as in harder to bottom ?
can you get stiffer springs for them (inside the left leg)? , if so where from ? ,does it matter that theyve been lowered to 80mm ?

any help would be good , know bugger all about sus really , so any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey Man,

The lowers are the same on pikes / argyles so no worries there.

With more Oil in it makes them harder to bottom (you basically jsut lose a few mm of travel as there's less space for the fork to compress) When i lowered mine it made them loads stiffer to.

The blue knob is actually compression, rebound is on the bottom of one of the legs (cant remember off the top of me head) it should have a red knob, if no one of the bolts is hollow and you just stick an allen key up there to adjust it (think it's 2.5 or 3mm)

Contact Sram to check about springs, mine were just right for me so i never bothered!

Hope it helps

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 3:53 Quote
Putting too much oil in will not change travel or make them easier/harder to bottom out. In the compression side of the fork the oil is only lubrication.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 5:41 Quote
I have an argyle 318 (2007), so i herd about the new argyle rct featuring the ability to change the travel from the stock 100mm to 140mm. i then found some spacers that came with the fork, after i put these spacers in the fork it was then set at about 115mm travel. i have then tried to lower the fork back down to 100mm and even after i take the spacers out the fork just goes down maybe 2mm. anybody got any idea what ive done ? any help appreciated
cheers shane,

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 9:29 Quote
ok, so the author of this post was saying if you want to lower to 80mm you put 20mm of spacers where you should, and then leave 10mm on the top where the old 30mm spacer used to be, i want to lower to 70mm, so do i just put 30mm in the right place and thats it? or do i have to leave any on the top of the coil? thanks

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
simzz wrote:
ok, so the author of this post was saying if you want to lower to 80mm you put 20mm of spacers where you should, and then leave 10mm on the top where the old 30mm spacer used to be, i want to lower to 70mm, so do i just put 30mm in the right place and thats it? or do i have to leave any on the top of the coil? thanks

Thats correct. However this was for a 2007ish fork. Newer ones could be different. You're just moving spacers.

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 16:47 Quote
Yeah works perfect at 70mm, just put 30mm of spacers like you said. Also I found at 80mm I had to put 20mm or spacers at the top aswell or the coil would rattle like no ones business.

Ps. I have 2010 model and its the same as the one in the og post.

Posted: Dec 1, 2010 at 7:04 Quote
ah right, yeah i would lower to either 60 or 70, thats great though, thanks Ridebikes and rlee

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 at 21:22 Quote
hey, i have argyle 302 uppers with pike 426 lowers, i just opened the top compressor thing and took out the two spacers then sealed it, my fork is lower but can i ride with it like that? seems alot easier lol

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 21:06 Quote
my mint green 409 argyle (07) came with what i believe is a spacer, can i use that in an 06 argyle 318 to lower it?

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 7:53 Quote
mike-l wrote:
hey question can you use metal washers that are the exact same size i just went to 2 hardware stores and there were no plastic ones i need help ASAP thanks
what hardware store did you go to?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016459
Mobile Version of Website