Shopping for DH Jacket/Vest

PB Forum :: Downhill
Shopping for DH Jacket/Vest
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 20:39 Quote
As I get older I'm learning that I'm no longer invincible as I was in my 20's. So I'm in the market for chest/spine/shoulder protection with the possibility for zip-on elbow guards. My elbow guards are a bit thin so I may use this opportunity to upgrade those as well. My usage will be DH and park only.

Any thoughts on these "pressure-suits" or DH vests/jackets? Anything that I should be considering when shopping for them? Is there a good shootout comparison of these online?

I'm leaning towards the Alpinestars Bionic tech jacket but really open.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 0:32 Quote
No experience of the Alpinestars jacket but I can recommend the Troy Lee Designs UPL7855 HW top. It doesn't tick all your boxes as there is no spine protector and the elbows are not removable but you can get a short sleeve version. I tried quite a few before deciding on the TLD and found it was the most comfortable on while offering decent amounts of protection (and have crashed in it). I also wanted to run a Leatt neck brace which integrates with this top and think you will find a lot of pressure suits with spine protectors require you to remove the protectors in order to run a neck brace. And to add weight to this vest I did spot while watching the UCI DH World Cup last weekend that Aaron Gwin was rocking this top so you can't get a better adorsement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008079
Mobile Version of Website