six or eight?

PB Forum :: Downhill
six or eight?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 4:58 Quote
What rotor size do you use for your rear? I've had it with eights. They're big and prone to dents. What do you think?

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
6 rear, 8 front.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:44 Quote
8 all around, need the stopping power DH/FR

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
maverick wrote:
8 all around, need the stopping power

8 and 8 is never needed. Hill rides a 7 and a 6, for example.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
7 and 7 should do fine

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
8 rear and 6 in front

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
8 and 8 is definitely never needed. You do most of your stopping with the front. If you want the same amount of power in the back where you don't have anywhere near as much traction then you need to reevaluate your braking technique. If you lock up and skid the back too much you end up killing your flow. Not to mention you can drop 2-3 ounces with the smaller rear rotor.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
vincentallard wrote:
8 rear and 6 in front

That's ridiculous.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
8 and 8
you use your rear mor often so it makes sense to have more power back there
plus 8 in front and 6 in rear looks retartedPimp

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
hockeynut wrote:
8 and 8

If you use the rear more often your braking technique needs LOTS of work. It doesn't look retarded at all. It does look retarded to get smoked on the trails because you don't know how to use your brakes.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
8 and 8

If you use the rear more often your braking technique needs LOTS of work. It doesn't look retarded at all. It does look retarded to get smoked on the trails because you don't know how to use your brakes.

Looks even more retarded to skid about, not only that, but you ruin the trails like that!

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
maverick wrote:
8 all around, need the stopping power DH/FR

I suppose I should clarify, I need the stopping power, both perceived and actual. There is nothing worse (for me) than to have any doubts about your gear. 8 on the rear is perhaps technically overkill; look at most cars and the rear brakes are generally smaller than the front. Nonetheless, when I'm pinning my rig and hit a jump with a sharp corner facing me on the downside, it's nice to know (again, actual or perceived) that the bike will perform to expectations. Also, there's something to be said about having the same lever feel in both hands for proper braking. Having never run two different sized rotors, has anyone noticed a difference in lever feel when using different sized rotors?

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
8 and 8 is definitely never needed. You do most of your stopping with the front. If you want the same amount of power in the back where you don't have anywhere near as much traction then you need to reevaluate your braking technique. If you lock up and skid the back too much you end up killing your flow. Not to mention you can drop 2-3 ounces with the smaller rear rotor.

8 + 8 is an absolute necessity if you are over 230 lbs and riding long descents. This is not the majority of riders, I'll admit, but a valid exception.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
i have 8 8 and i plan on switching it to 6 7

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011704
Mobile Version of Website