Stan's NEO hub failure

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Stan's NEO hub failure
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 15, 2016 at 23:27 Quote
On May 5th I purchased a new wheel set. Stan's ZTR Flow EX 29 laced to the new NEO 4 pawl hubs. After 4 rides total, on May 14, the rear hub failed by way of a crack around the circumference of the hub, inboard of the spokes on the drive side. This crack is fully through the shell, leaving the hub separated in two. I would like to post a picture but cannot figure out how too. More importantly, has anyone else had this issue with these exact hubs? I am sure Stan's wont be an issue in warranty, but I am not very confident in these hubs at the moment as they had 4 rides on them by a amateur rider weighing 180 lbs.

Rick-J

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 15, 2016 at 23:50 Quote
Mirrlees16 wrote:
On May 5th I purchased a new wheel set. Stan's ZTR Flow EX 29 laced to the new NEO 4 pawl hubs. After 4 rides total, on May 14, the rear hub failed by way of a crack around the circumference of the hub, inboard of the spokes on the drive side. This crack is fully through the shell, leaving the hub separated in two. I would like to post a picture but cannot figure out how too. More importantly, has anyone else had this issue with these exact hubs? I am sure Stan's wont be an issue in warranty, but I am not very confident in these hubs at the moment as they had 4 rides on them by a amateur rider weighing 180 lbs.

Rick-J

that's interesting to say the least; the new NEO hubs are supposed to be more durable and longer lasting than the old 3.30 stuff. if you can post a pic, that would be cool all you have to do is upload it from your dashboard.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 8:26 Quote
thats a really odd break.... (in no way your fault, i don't mean it like that) it must be a weak spot in the hub, when in the smaller chain ring, the leverage is acting on that one area... but still...?

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 11:33 Quote
wow that's not good; have you heard back from stan's yet on warranty? i can't see how they'd deny a claim on that one.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
Update on hub issue.
After emailing Stan's I received a phone call from the warranty department. The fellow explained to me how they had machined a batch thinner than usual, my guess is to save on weight. These were failing and are being replaced as they fail. This is done rather than a recall on the affected batch. This does sound like a strange way to do business. I was told on the phone they will send me a replacement hub and pay my local bike store to do the install. I wasn't happy with this as due to the volume of work my LBS has I am certain I wouldn't be riding for a good long time. They have agreed to send a replacement wheel to me and for me to send the failed hub back at my cost. Not super impressed with this part. I did not receive any answers to my original email, nor to a follow up with questions after the phone convo. I eventually wrote another email 4 days later asking for an update. I received a reply stating the wheel would be shipped that day, to which it was, using ground shipping with a delivery time of approx 10 days. Of the 17 days as of today I have owned them, they survived 4 rides, failing on the 4rth. I have owned them broken far longer than ride-able. If they show up on the 30th as estimated, this will be 21 days waiting and 4 days riding.

The good news to this is that after conversing with another fellow who had this exact same issue arise, he tells me that Stan's was good with sending him a new hub/wheel and that it has lasted a few months without any issues in way of cracking. Unfortunately, due to an axle issue that has arisen, it has had bearing failures. Multiple or single events I am unsure of. I am hoping for the best, When I purchased these I had the option of getting the rims with the DTswiss350 hubs and through my LBS I was expecting this to be what I ordered. Upon receiving and opening the boxes I was a little disappointed with the hubs as this is not what I expected. After some thought I figured "how bad could they be?" and decided to give them a go. This part is yet to be determined and I hope for the best.

I do believe Stan's makes great products, these are a new product, new products have issues occasionally. I do hope I haven't wasted money on a bad product.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 23:42 Quote
I would imagine the reason they haven't issued a recall is because that would damage sales on a highly publicized and high profile product. They're probably doing everything in their power to avoid one. I also find it strange that they want the damaged hub back.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2016 at 17:02 Quote
I just had the exact same cracking around the circumference of the hub, this after about 4 months of riding. It took the wheel back to my LBS, and within a few days an entire new wheel arrived. AND, they also let me keep the old (new) rim. So, the shop had me on a demo in the meantime, and I never ended up with any downtime. Great service from the shop, and a fairly quick turnaround with the new wheel from Stan's. It's just way easier for them to send a whole new wheel than to service a blown up hub with a full wheel rebuild.

This is a first generation product, I wondered about its durability, We'll see how this one holds up. Also of note, there was another bike in the shop with the exact same problem as mine.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 12:38 Quote
I had my hub fail the same way last night. Definitely too thin of a shell right there. I had one of the first Arch MKIII wheels sold to the public so maybe an early production issue.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 17:19 Quote
Yup same thing just happened to my rear hub in the same place on my Rocky Instinct 990 BC Eidtion....

Hopefully Rocky/Stan's will replace the wheel without having to wait for 3 weeks...

Maybe they should to some Ellsworth wheelsSmile Not!

Posted: May 8, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
Mine just did the same thing.

View image here

Posted: May 8, 2017 at 16:48 Quote
Mine just cracked as well.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 22:21 Quote
I just joined the club, took a year for me to do it on my single speed

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 12:08 Quote
Mine just cracked today pedaling up a hill. So pissed

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018579
Mobile Version of Website